Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet Right "Sales"

Options
  • 10-09-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the perpetual sale being touted by the above retailer absolute tosh??

I bought a carpet off them just after Xmas and the sales dude told me that the 60% off sale was running out the next day but since it was Xmas he would hold it for me at that price, I thought fair play to him !

Next time I was near the shop, they had 60% Sale signs still floating around.......now 9 months later they STILL have 60% sales signs outside the shop! The last straw was today when I saw an ad on TV3 where they said 60% sale must end Tuesday. Now I am pretty sure if you go down to one of their shops next Wednesday they will stlll have a 60% sale on !!

What out and out BS !

Im going to complain to the ASA about this !

Anybody else noticed or been hoodwinked into thinking they are getting a sales bargain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 matressmonkey

These guys always have these sales on. In actual fact, I can't honestly say that I've never seen a shop front without a sale sign in it.

There is no sale, just selling you cheap carpets.

REID's furnitue stores are not far behind either with their 'sale' promotions.

There used to be legislation where you could not say it was a sale item unless it was offered at a higer price for 30 days prior to the day of the sale.
    So, was that carpet 60% more expensive, say a month ago?

Doubt it very much.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Agreed....now who can we complain to??

ASA for starters....

I complained to ASAI and ODCA today about this crowd, I await their repsonse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yup, I pass one of these stores everyday on the way to work....in the 2+ yrs they've been open the 60% off sign has been a permanent fixture. Right Price tiles is next door and they're almost as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Jim Langans is at the same lark too, always some sort of sale on.

I thought the law was that an item had to be on sale at the original price for 28 days before a new price could be considered a sale price. If this is the case how can they have these infinite sales? What base price is the price based on? Is it just some notional suggested or recommended retail price?

I look forward to the reply to Sizzler's emails to the ASAI and ODCA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

In the retail arena Carpet Right is Carpet Sh*te.

Same scam (it is a scam) applies to Reids, Harvey Norman, Power City, DID, Right Sh*te Tiles and very especially to Land of Crap Leather.

Never ever buy from Land of Crap Leather, or Carpet Sh*te, It is absolute junk and not worth half of what you pay. - Easiest way to check on these guys is to go to yahoo finance (uk) and check out the company profit reports. Land of Crap Leather, Carpet Sh*te & DFS furniture (not in Ireland yet - but watch this space) make a NET profit - after ALL expense - in excess of 20% of turnover.

Compare it with tesco, who we all dislike, who make a "measly" 4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why complain? If your getting the carpet cheaper than elsewhere, whats the problem?

Stekelly wrote:
    Why complain? If your getting the carpet cheaper than elsewhere, whats the problem?
    Thats the problem, you arent.

The carpet is 60% 'reduced' (me bollox), so mr customer thinks hes on a winner straight off.Then they ask mr.customer to bend over the desk while they take him up the rear because they actually charge as much again a square yard for underlay and then they add on a nice little fitting charge of at least €60 and before you know it you have paid over the odds. You then wonder how much you would have paid if they didnt have a 60% 'sale' on :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

mcaul wrote:

Same scam (it is a scam) applies to Reids, Harvey Norman, Power City, DID, Right Sh*te Tiles and very especially to Land of Crap Leather.

How do you come to that conclusion? or do you just not like when a business makes money?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

whiteboard wrote:
    I thought the law was that an item had to be on sale at the original price for 28 days before a new price could be considered a sale price.
    I think it may be for 28 days within the last six months...

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote:
    I think it may be for 28 days within the last six months...

This being the case and if the same 60% sale has been running for ever and a day, when in the last 6 months can we establish the base price on which to base the sale? I remember someone saying that it has to be on sale somewhere within the 28 days; maybe they withdraw the sale for the required period in one not so busy store.

whiteboard wrote:
    This being the case and if the same 60% sale has been running for ever and a day, when in the last 6 months can we establish the base price on which to base the sale? I remember someone saying that it has to be on sale somewhere within the 28 days; maybe they withdraw the sale for the required period in one not so busy store.

They would have to do it in EVERY store though if they werent taking the piss.

Im still awaiting replies from the authorities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Chances are they can wriggle their way out of it by claiming that it's 60% off the manafacturers' recommended retail price.

Wertz wrote:
    Chances are they can wriggle their way out of it by claiming that it's 60% off the manafacturers' recommended retail price.

Still, thats bollox as its entirely misleading for the consumer, so even if thats the case the ODCA should still be rapping them on the knuckles.

Maybe I should ring Joooooooooooooooooe Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuufffffffffffffy about this outrage on the Irish public!

How do you come to that conclusion? or do you just not like when a business makes money?:confused:

I have no problem in abusiness making money - I'm in retail myself. What I do object to is large multi nationals screaming that they are giving xx% off a product pretending that you are getting a better deal whne they are scamming the customer.

The average retail business makes between 3 & 8% net profit after all costs - this is generally accepted as good trading. Carpet right, Reids & DFS regularly make NET profits of 20 - 25% onntheir overall sales - this is extortion by any measure and its Joe Public that is paying for it.

BTW - The best carpet place I have found is Allied Carpets in Robinhood Industrial estate (opp musgraves) decent to deal with and their carpet fitter has been with them for 30+ years. - And far better prices than the 60% off prices at Carpet Shi*e. For furniture, Famous Furniture on Longmile road (overlooking Naas road in former compustore premises) is always good for decent furniture at decent prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

mcaul wrote:
    The average retail business makes between 3 & 8% net profit after all costs - this is generally accepted as good trading. Carpet right, Reids & DFS regularly make NET profits of 20 - 25% onntheir overall sales - this is extortion by any measure and its Joe Public that is paying for it.
    Thats the biggest load of rubbish ive ever heard in my life :rolleyes: Reids for example have huge buying power and can sell thier items below the reccomended retail price set my the producers. How is this extorting and ripping off joe public? More power to them for making such a profit, its obiviously the business to be in!

Thats the biggest load of rubbish ive ever heard in my life :rolleyes: Reids for example have huge buying power and can sell thier items below the reccomended retail price set my the producers. How is this extorting and ripping off joe public? More power to them for making such a profit, its obiviously the business to be in!

Carpetright Net profit 2005 = 14.8% of net revenue after VAT. - That does not reflect a company giving 60% off its prices, rather a company that marks up its products substantially higher than peers and bring them down to above average level with so called sales.

I have no problem whatsoever in companies making a profit. But let them not make fools of the public and have so called "sales" every week of the year. In most of these sales the product "reduced" is own brand product and usually at the lower end of the quality scale. (Carpetshi#e rarely if ever have more than 10% off brnaded or wool carpets such as) - They also make their own RRP up. (Have you EVER seen the the carpet brands Carpet Sh#te have reduced in any other carpet store anywhere in the world???)

Reids do have large buying power and large head office costs. Again, branded or high quality items are rarely marked down in the every week sales.

In terms of large retailers I prefer the way Argos, B&Q, Homebase, IKEA and their ilk operate. (all make good net profits of 3% - 12%) Offering good value at all times without having to pretend to be on sale. - And when they have a sale you tend to actually get real reductions rather than the pretend and false reductions of Carpetsh*te, Reid, Land of Leather, Right price tiles etc etc etc.

There are plans by the regulator to change advertising practices to prevent misleading "rrp" prices being published and only to have prices that have been at the higher price in that store for a minimum of 28 days to be allowed as a "was" price. All other reduced prices must be marked as "special Purchase" or "Special Offer". Problem is it will take at least a year before it can be enforced if it ever gets agreed.

ODCA called during the week to say they have assigned an investigator to get to the bottom of this, so thats a start, will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Still nothing back from the good aul ODCA, efficient or what !

Havent been near one of the branches late but Im guessing their "sale" is still on :confused:

I know Jim Langans are still running their sales as their ads are always on the radio; you know the one with the 'dot i hee' web address.

wrt carpet right me thinks a click on
    http://www.carpetright.ie/ should help answer the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ghost2

God you people really are a bunch of moaners - all of the above retailers have sales that run on/off during the year as standard - it's called business and if any of you do actually work in retail you will know that store sales drop SIGNIFICANTLY when you are not on sale because Joe/Jill Public are only happy when they think they are getting a discount. Hence the reason retailers will go on sale if and when possible (yes you do have to be off sale for at least a month prior to going on sale).

So basically if the public weren't so finicky about prices ALL THE TIME then retailers wouldn't feel the need to have a 'constant sale'. I assume you lot will be queueing at IKEA when they open and will probably be on here moaning about missing screws next:rolleyes:

Ghost2 wrote:
    God you people really are a bunch of moaners - all of the above retailers have sales that run on/off during the year as standard - it's called business and if any of you do actually work in retail you will know that store sales drop SIGNIFICANTLY when you are not on sale because Joe/Jill Public are only happy when they think they are getting a discount. Hence the reason retailers will go on sale if and when possible (yes you do have to be off sale for at least a month prior to going on sale).

So basically if the public weren't so finicky about prices ALL THE TIME then retailers wouldn't feel the need to have a 'constant sale'. I assume you lot will be queueing at IKEA when they open and will probably be on here moaning about missing screws next:rolleyes:

LOL. Ease up there son. I don't think people on here complain about low prices...show me an example?? But the discussion on this thread was about pi55take retailers who are engaged in perpetual sales which attempts to hoodwink the average punter.If their prices are that good then dont act the bollix and call it a sale if it isnt, they are called SALES for a reason are they not?

Well to bring my rant to an end...for anybody who was bothered :o

ODCA came back to me today to say carpet right "sales" policy has been investigated and the upshot is their sales are not breaking any consumer rules or regs because the products they are selling on sale are different each week :eek: So its OK to advertsise a perpetual sale as technically the carpet on sale this week is different to the one last week.

The lady said it was a loophole but there was nothing they could do :(

Sharp practice or just clever? IMHO misleading.

Advertisement