Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squad Numbers?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Slightly OT...why does Gary Neville have G.Neville on his shirt?
    Phil has left...is there another Neville at MU?

Del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Del

Maybe Phil is on the way back in January?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

But I think this came from the initial use of squad numbers. E.g Scholes was given 18 in his first season. Because a lot of fans then bought Scholes shirts, it's never been changed, same with Keane and Henry, esp. as Henry wasn't a guaranteed starter in his first season
    Del
    What about Fowler he had 11 when he came back everybody ran out and got that then after 1 season went back to trusty number 9. Same with Gerrard was 17 since he was at Liverpool then changed to 8 three seasons back I think. Same with Riise 18 to 6.

The team my Dad used to play on the manager had no idea what he was doing so he thought it was a good idea for players to where crazy numbers 2 centre backs wearing 11 and 10:eek: and every other number messed up. Needless to say it didn't work and they lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Del

He was given the option to take it off when Phil left but said he preferred it. Who are we to question the Neviller??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Reganio 2 wrote:
    Same with Gerrard was 17 since he was at Liverpool then changed to 8 three seasons back I think.

Gerrard also wore 28 at 'pool before he moved to 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I read a bit of an old 1960's football book over the weekend and found out the formation and the 'standard' numbering scheme, as well as the associate position names:
    ---------------------------- 1 Goalkeeper ---------------------------------
    ------------ 2 Right Back ---------------- 3 Left Back --------------------
    ----- 4 Right Half --------- 5 Centre Half --------- 6 Left Half ----------
    - 7 Outside Right - 8 Inside Right ----- 10 Inside Left - 11 Outside Left -
    ---------------------------- 9 Centre Forward -----------------------------

So, in the 'old days', the standard formation was 2-3-4-1. Over time, as new tactics brought in new formations, some of the position labels stayed the same, as in centre-half, and centre forward, left back, right back, although some have been lost (inside right anyone?) but the positions on the pitch were different. Also the numbers moved around the pitch to the new locations, such as in a 4-4-2 formation, or a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-4. For example, with 4 in a back-line the numering could be 2-4-5-3 or indeed 2-5-6-3. There were no standards anymore.

As has been mentioned, some clubs werent so traditional with their numbers at times and moved them around the pitch.

In the modern system, a number means little but some players still want to hanker back to the traditional 1-11 days and have a preference for those lower numbers. But meaning has long gone.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

redspider wrote:
    I read a bit of an old 1960's football book over the weekend and found out the formation and the 'standard' numbering scheme, as well as the associate position names:
    ---------------------------- 1 Goalkeeper ---------------------------------
    ------------ 2 Right Back ---------------- 3 Left Back --------------------
    ----- 4 Right Half --------- 5 Centre Half --------- 6 Left Half ----------
    - 7 Outside Right - 8 Inside Right ----- 10 Inside Left - 11 Outside Left -
    ---------------------------- 9 Centre Forward -----------------------------

So, in the 'old days', the standard formation was 2-3-4-1. Over time, as new tactics brought in new formations, some of the position labels stayed the same, as in centre-half, and centre forward, left back, right back, although some have been lost (inside right anyone?) but the positions on the pitch were different. Also the numbers moved around the pitch to the new locations, such as in a 4-4-2 formation, or a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-4. For example, with 4 in a back-line the numering could be 2-4-5-3 or indeed 2-5-6-3. There were no standards anymore.

As has been mentioned, some clubs werent so traditional with their numbers at times and moved them around the pitch.

In the modern system, a number means little but some players still want to hanker back to the traditional 1-11 days and have a preference for those lower numbers. But meaning has long gone.

Redspider

I don't think that's necessarily true, this is the first season in England where I can remember defenders being given traditional forward numbers. I also think it will be a while before the number 1 is awarded to anyone other than a goalkeeper. Playing club football as a young kid, your introduction to numbered shirts was the standard 1-11 that most people would agree on and I'd guess it's still the same and kids aren't being given shirts with squad numbers, therefore the 1-11 still has some resonance.

Any strange numbers I do see mentioned seem to involve the personal choice of the player (Coco, Ventola and Lizarazu for example) and not down to a system put in place by the club. The only examples I can think of (and they've already been mentioned in the thread) are the alphabetical numbering of the Argentinian and Dutch squads. If you could name some English or Irish clubs that didn't use the traditional system in the days before squad numbers, I'd love to know too. .

Advertisement