Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering going to college

Options
  • 10-09-2006 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I'm trying to plan ahead so I've a couple of questions about full time education.

I've been working full-time since I left school.

If I have a trade and a B.Tech which I studied at night and paid for myself, and I now want to study medicine full-time, will I have to pay the fees myself? If so how much is it going to cost me (I'm thinking probably a small mortgage)?

If I did go to college I would have to work weekends. How easy is it to survive on part time wages for four or five years? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who managed to do it with mortgages and cars etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Copper wrote:
    I'm trying to plan ahead so I've a couple of questions about full time education.

I've been working full-time since I left school.

If I have a trade and a B.Tech which I studied at night and paid for myself, and I now want to study medicine full-time, will I have to pay the fees myself? If so how much is it going to cost me (I'm thinking probably a small mortgage)?

If I did go to college I would have to work weekends. How easy is it to survive on part time wages for four or five years? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who managed to do it with mortgages and cars etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Look here for some good links.

It would be wrong to say it is easy to survive financially, especially after having been in full time work for so long. You need to look at the bigger picture and make a few sacrifices. I gave up work last year and while I get my fees paid and a bursary, the sudden significant drop in income takes a while to adjust to. I did some work during the year but you have to find a happy medium between college work and paying work.

Advertisement