Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash - what next?

Options
  • 10-09-2006 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I was the victim in a crash yesterday.

Was 3rd car in a queue behind a car waiting to turn right, I had been stopped for about a minute at least as there were quite a few oncoming cars. Anyway after about a minute or so I get hit from behind. It was a fair auld whack, looks mostly like cosmetic damage with a few scrapes and dents to my back bumper but her bonnets gone for sure (renaults)...

As this was my first time involved in a crash I wasnt exactly sure what to do so pulled over, she followed in and I took her details. Insurance details, name, number and address and I gave her my name and number.

I havnt had a chance to report it to the guards or insurance company yet but will do both in the morning.

So she wants to settle outside of insurance which is fair enough as long as my car is fixed im happy, whats the best way to handle this?

Had a missed call and voicemail from her earlier and now she wants to know my insurance details? Though as I was the victim - and she claimed full responsibiluty on the spot - should I give them to her? She wants to report it to the guards also and her insurance company but why would she need my insurance details when she was at fault?

Like I said this is my first time being involved in an accident and dont really know where to go from here... if anyone can offer some advice i'd really appreciate it at this time. Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'd contact the guards and your insurance company. Advise that the other driver admitted full fault (mind if you were hit from behind it would very difficult for anyone to admit otherwise)

I'd also contact her back and ask her why she needs yoru insurance details. Take a few photos of your car too if you can. Always helps in a dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Admitting liability at the scene of an accident doesn't matter as much as people seem to think it does. The person can later change their mind.

If you are in a smash you are obliged to inform your insurer whether you were at fault or not.

My insurer asked me to fill out a statement for an accident last week even though the car was parked and empty when hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

My fathers car was hit a couple of years ago when parked in Baggot St. A guard saw it and made the woman driver put her details on a sheet of paper which she stuck under the windscreen wiper. The guard contacted my father to make sure she didn't come back 5 minutes later and take it off.

She was nice as pie, very apologetic and paid for the damage so he thought nothing more of it. Until he went to renew his insurance. She had only claimed off his insurance and got paid out without them even notifying him! A phone call to the guard in question soon sorted that out. But the lesson is no matter how nice people seem at the time you still have to protect yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I thought it was mandatory to exchange insurance company details, unless you both agree to keep them out of it.

After all its the insurance companies who ultimately determine who was at fault....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While going through your own insurance company can be a pain (they can cancel your NCB if renewal falls during the claim process as they wait to see who is at fault) they will do the donkey work for you. Get everything written down regarding circumstances and a diagram. They will send you a form to fill out return that and let events run thier course.

American but clear advice

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Trampas

If you are rear ended the person is at fault 100% doesn't matter if you jam on.

They should be far enough behind you to stop.

You should see in your policy documentation that you are to never admit responsibility in an accident as they will admit it or not.

Always inform the gardaí about an accident as you never know where the accident ccould end up courts and insurance companies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Thanks for the advice guys, so i've to call to the local garda station and give my insurance company a call first thing then off to get some estimates. Should I be giving her my insurance details? She shouldnt need them unless she is going to try claim off me, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

She may have been advised to check if you are insured, if you weren't it would change things from her point of view. As regards your insurance details she is entitled to whats called the appropriate information which is name, address, car reg, insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

under the road traffic act (S.106 (3)(A) AFAIR) you are each entitled to the others details. its an offence not to give name address and insurance details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

digweed is spot on, you are obliged to exchange details. if the guards attend a crash this is all they are there to do so yes, you must exchange details with her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ballooba wrote:
    Admitting liability at the scene of an accident doesn't matter as much as people seem to think it does. The person can later change their mind.

If you are in a smash you are obliged to inform your insurer whether you were at fault or not.
    read insurance policies care fully, most state that you are not to accept liability. not sure if it's to stop someone allowing their mate to claim on a staged accident or a loophole they can use to avoid paying out but since it's the insurance company that will be paying out it's usually up to the insurance companies to work out who is at (what %) fault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Well I gave her my details this morning, as well as reporting it to the guards and my insurance company. Got one estimate (2.5k!!!) and waiting on another from Opel themselves, so looks like we'' be going through her insurance so theyre my next port of call. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement