Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

off license absinth

Options
  • 10-09-2006 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

does anyone know of an off license store that sells absinth? Was looking at the sebor label, but if anyone knows of anything better I would be willing to check it out. I am in the city centre, and not quite sure of any place that sells it (the ones I have checked so far do not appear to sell much of anything but beer and the occasional wine).

Friend from back home wants me to send him some and I was looking to see if I could get it cheaper by going local and doing the shipping myself. From the sounds of it he wants me to send him the max customs allows on a daily basis :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

rymus wrote:
    tesco?

I did not see it at tesco nor another store that only sold alcohol. Have you seen it at tesco? If so where, maybe I just missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

i thought it was illegal to sell in ireland???????

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

They've legalised lower volumes of it I think. I'm going off of the fact that Blu Bambo (such a rotten club) has it in Cork. Either that or they import it. *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I just spyed a bottle of something behind the counter with 'Absinth' written on it, in O'Donovans Offie on Oliver Plunkett St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yep, big labels saying Absinthe alright..

With (Absinthe Flavoured Liquor) in small print.

Afaik, 'real' absinthe is illegal in Ireland, not only because of the volume, but it's purified through woodworm, which gives it it's mescaline-like kick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

That'll be wormwood, the herb.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

i have a bottle at home rotting,nasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Best way to get Absinth is get yourself to Prague (or any other Tcheck (sp?) city) and you get can the good stuff there at reasonable prices - and Prague is nice anyway ... good excuse for a weekend away :D

morgana wrote:
    Best way to get Absinth is get yourself to Prague (or any other Tcheck (sp?) city) and you get can the good stuff there at reasonable prices - and Prague is nice anyway ... good excuse for a weekend away :D

I planed on visiting Prague, just not immediatly, and my friend wanted it sooner than later. Figured the best thing was to actually go into a store and read the label since I really dont want a 'flavoured' liquor, but instead the real stuff.

Ryan air is cheap enough, and I am sure some friends from Germany would go with me too, prolly end up being quite a fun weekend once it finally happens :)

"czech" its an odd spelling but its theirs, I am sure they say the same about irish words, I know I do :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shane of W&BW

Absinthe is available in the Wine & Beer Warehouse in Stillorgan. They have 70%, 75%, 80% and 85%. They also have about 100 different beers in the fridge and another 200 you can order by the case.

Absinthe is available in the Wine & Beer Warehouse in Stillorgan. They have 70%, 75%, 80% and 85%. They also have about 100 different beers in the fridge and another 200 you can order by the case.

since you seem affiliated with this place, perhaps you would be a good person to ask. I am new to the area, where is stillorgan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

me too, bought it in Portugal years ago. haven't opened it yet! I am keeping it in case I ever forget to put petrol in the car ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I'm drinking some I bought in Prague last Wednesday. Staroplzenecky, 70%. How could anyone drink this neat? My stomach heaved after it. Drinking it with club orange. just about palteable. The morning will be another story. It causes brain damge and limb dysfunction. Is it illegal to bring it in in your suitcase?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement