Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 month old wakes screaming

Options
  • 10-09-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

hi, this started about 1 month ago, my son wakes up screaming out of control and when we go into his room its like he doesnt recognize us,when we pick him up he starts kicking and throwing his back, if we leave him and stroke his head and talk softly he just rolls around his cot screaming, i think he is actually still sleeping when this happens, did anyone come across this before ? Friday night he screamed for 20 mins when i tried to hold him he was breathing rapidly then he crawled away and fell asleep on my wife.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Sounds like night terrors to me. It's not all that uncommon in children.

Some good articles here after a quick google:
    toddlerstoday.com
    theparentreport.com
    parentcentre.com

An important part of the last link is this:
    What should I do if my child has a night terror?
    Don't try to wake her. And expect that your efforts to comfort her will be rebuffed — a child having a night terror really can't be calmed down, and if you try to hold her it may make her wilder. Unless she's in danger of hurting herself, don't attempt to physically comfort her. Just speak calmly, put yourself between her and anything dangerous (the headboard of her bed, for instance), and wait for the storm to pass. Before you go to bed, take the same precautions you would for a sleepwalker, since children in the grip of a night terror often stumble out of bed: Pick up any toys or objects on the floor that she could trip on, fasten a gate at the top of the stairs, and make sure windows and outside doors are locked.

While they are very scary to see, studies seem to suggest that they aren't harmful to the child.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Maybe something to share with the child's doctor during the next visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Apparently I had night terrors when I was younger. Absolutely no memory of them at all. I turned out ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

This was the parenting bit that I really hated. As they get a bit older and learn to speak, you expect to be able to discuss it rationally in the morning and maybe allay their fears. But they are not awake at the time, and will not remember it. My fella was screaming the house down until he hit 4, but now it's only occasional. It used to be a few times a week. It really upset me, because he would wake in a rage and hit whoever was there. The real trouble began when his little brother started sleeping in the same room. Once it kicked off, the whole house would be awake. He would then nod back off as if nothing had happened, leaving the rest of us wide awake. We tell him about his behaviour the following morning, and he is very sheepish about it, but he seems to genuinely not remember it and is more embarrassed. I suppose I am still finding it difficult because although it happens less and less, I am disappointed that it still hasn't gone for good.
    By the way, we monitor every moment of tv, especially at bedtime, and there is nothing remotely scary being watched. Even the books are about fluffy bunnies. The only conclusion we have come to is that he has the daftest imagination and comes up with the most outrageous games and roleplay. He probably just thinks too much.....now, glad i got that off my chest...feeling better already....A problem shared etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

My son has the same thing - especially if he's had an over-stimulating day or will have and exciting day to look forward to.

It's awful! And yes, we let him rage for 30 minutes before able to comfort him and get him back to sleep. Can't touch him before 30 minutes or he kicks and hits. I hate it!

And this last time, he did tell us of his dream and it was creepy!!! We don't expose him to violence on television or in life so where he gets these dreams I don't know, but he's had them since a babe and is now 5.

They ARE less frequent now, though and I hope they continue to lessen as time goes on.

All you can really do is be loving and patient - and set a soothing routine for bedtime that you continue doing wothout fail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement