Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gfx Card recommendation

Options
  • 10-09-2006 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Building a computer over the next while, and I am currently in the process of putting together a shopping list. Have a fair idea of the general spec (Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2GB RAM, ABIT AB9 Mobo (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323532) being the main part of the outline at the moment).

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a decent, but not overly expensive Gfx card for a rig like this? It would be PCI Express, but if possible I don't really want to spend over 150, as while I will be using it for games, it will be used for a number of other purposes that need decent all round hardware.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

For around €150 you got three choices as I see it

7600GS [within budget]
    Capable enough midrange card if you cannot afford to go outside of your budget.

7600GT [slightly over budget]
    Higher end of the midrange spectrum, very good performance/price ratio the one to go for if buying right now.

X1650XT [unknown price but somewhere around the 7600GT]
    Due some time in September or slightly later, the X1650XT is ATI's 7600GT killer promising better performance and at a cheaper price if the computer wont be built till the end of the month or so then hold out and see if ATI delivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Thanks for that 8T8.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have this built ASAP, as I am heading back to college, and don't want to be starting on it in the middle of a hectic timetable, though some of the parts I want off komplett are out of stock with no expected date for new stock, so it could be a while before I get everything I need, by which time the X1650XT might be out.

Any one else have any suggestions? I am taking 8T8's advice on board anyway, but I am just looking for a general consensus also

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

cython wrote:
    Thanks for that 8T8.

Ideally I'd like to be able to have this built ASAP, as I am heading back to college, and don't want to be starting on it in the middle of a hectic timetable, though some of the parts I want off komplett are out of stock with no expected date for new stock, so it could be a while before I get everything I need, by which time the X1650XT might be out.

Any one else have any suggestions? I am taking 8T8's advice on board anyway, but I am just looking for a general consensus also

Thanks

Personally I would get the 7600GT as a minimum for gaming.

8T8 has listed the best cards for your budget as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

I know I keep harping on about them but check out www.ankermann-pc.com , quality pc's built for you at stupidly cheap prices. Just configured a E6400, Asus P5B mobo, 2GB Kingston RAM, 160GB SATA-II Samsung HDD, LG DVD burner, 256MB 7600GT GFX, 550w Power Supply and an asspire x-plorer case for just over €1,000 with 2 year warranty included. don't know what ure budget is but give it a go anyway, I just got mine 3 weeks ago and have no complaints yet.

Advertisement