Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct spelling of address of Development

Options
  • 10-09-2006 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm buying a house shortly in a new development and the address advertised by the agents, differs from the spelling of houses in the area that are advertised for sale. I'm only talking a letter difference or 2...sometimes it has a 'g' sometimes not as its silent and sometimes spelt the 2nd last letter with an 'e' sometimes an 'a'.

Is there anywhere I can find out the true correct spelling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Ring the post office and ask them.

Go to the post office and check the electoral register.

Check the entry on the postal address checker on the An Post website.

If it is a really new development it may not be in these databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ring the post office and ask them.

Go to the post office and check the electoral register.

Check the entry on the postal address checker on the An Post website.

If it is a really new development it may not be in these databases.
    ya but there are other houses nearby that would share the same local address and a lough that its called after, but I can only find google references to the lough which can't be 100% relied on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Placenames in Ireland vary quite a bit.
    Phibsboro, phibsborough and so on - both accepted as 'right'.

You could check with the Placenames Commission for a definitive spelling.
    http://www.pobail.ie/en/IrishLanguage/ThePlacenamesBranch/PlacenamesOrders/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Also comes down to local differences.

I remember a place in Kilkenny called Loughmacask. Cant remember the exact spellings but there is 3 ways of spelling it depending on were you live in Kilkenny

Lex Luthor wrote:
    ya but there are other houses nearby that would share the same local address and a lough that its called after, but I can only find google references to the lough which can't be 100% relied on

So you are telling me you didn't take my advice to check the address checker on the An Post website? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check with the planning department of your local council. There may be an official title dictated by the council.

So you are telling me you didn't take my advice to check the address checker on the An Post website? :-)
    I will later today, thanks

just used the An Post website and got the correct one...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lex Luthor wrote:
    just used the An Post website and got the correct one...thanks
    Where is this link?

http://address.anpost.ie/

you have to sign up for a free membership to use it. A great resource to have available on-line, well worth a look if you are interested in placenames and the like.

Antoin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement