Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello

• 10-09-2006 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Another Atheist here
    Just thought I’d say hello, seems like a good thing to do with my first post:)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hello

How are you? Welcome to the mayhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 shay7

Thank you 5uspect, Mayhem is good, keeps you on your toes

Well if you're up for a bit of bible bashing hop on over to the resurrected creationism thread. It was around 150 pages long but has been temporally removed by the Admins as part of a troubleshooting exercise to find a problem slowing boards down. It has been restarted tho as most of us couldn't resist.

Basically it involves two creationist guys J C and Wolfsbane trying to "prove" that evolution is completely and utterly wrong and that the biblical account of genesis including Noah's Ark etc is absolute fact.

I always feel compelled to read a whole thread before posting so those really long ones can be a bit daunting.
    Are those guys you mention American or do we have our own brand of fundies here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

5uspect wrote:
    Basically it involves two creationist guys J C and Wolfsbane trying to "prove" that evolution is completely and utterly wrong and that the biblical account of genesis including Noah's Ark etc is absolute fact.

I must give that a read myself, I need a good laugh! Is there anywhere online that I can read the original thread? A cache somewhere maybe?

Oh, and welcome to boards Shay7.

• Advertisement

I've linked to a few scraps that google has cached in the new thread, I'm sure you could find more if you looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

shay7 wrote:
    I always feel compelled to read a whole thread before posting so those really long ones can be a bit daunting.
    Are those guys you mention American or do we have our own brand of fundies here?

One Northerner (wolfsbane), one Southerner (JC), AFAIK. Also, there's quite a sufficiently large amount of pure loonie-juice on the new thread (although it's only three pages long) to give you a pretty good flavour...

No-one knows why we do it, though, since at this stage it's tolerably obvious that arguing with JC is startlingly like banging your head on a brick wall (why, oh why did they give us that smiley?). The worst thing is, it doesn't even feel good when you stop.

Come on over and hurt yourself.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Scofflaw wrote:
    No-one knows why we do it,
    To bring the truth to the world?
    Welcome to mayhem Shay7, a great place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

hi
    I see that famous creationist is touring the UK at the mo was on BBC the other night, wonder if he is coming to Ireland... and I notice a Bishop reaffirmed his committee to education being run by the church... :/

there was an interesting thing in think on I think it was tg4 or that altered state prog with some ex-senior minister from the 60's of ireland who claimed he wanted to be neutral on the issue of religious educational institutions but it was as clear as day that he was dragging his feet as much as he could on the issue, it also featured the first mulitdemoninational school which was in dalkey... and only seemed to get through on the whim of jack lynch

Scofflaw wrote:
    why, oh why did they give us that smiley?
    That is my fault I'm afraid. I've borrowed the head banging smiley from another website. You can block it with adblock for firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Captain capslock ftw!

Welcome aboard shay7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Welcome Shay7.... I have nothing more to add, so that will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Welcomen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Well

Thanks everybody for the welcome posts.

I was talking to “The Atheist” and he said it was ok for me to plug a site I’m putting together. Shameless advertising ahead…

Irish Atheist.com

Ok, I guess that's it.
    I would welcome any thoughts you have.

Seamus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You do know there is already an Irish Sceptics Society, right?

Zillah wrote:
    You do know there is already an Irish Sceptics Society, right?
    Yes, and you just answered one of my posts on their forum:)

I just figure there is no such thing as enough of these sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

shay7 wrote:
    Yes, and you just answered one of my posts on their forum:)

I just figure there is no such thing as enough of these sites

:eek: So I did....

/begins searching for body double.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> You do know there is already an Irish Sceptics Society [...]

...who held their 23rd public lecture this evening. Not sure if any regulars made it, but it was well up to the usual standard.

Anyhow, in addition to the Irish Atheist, there's also the Irish Humanists at:

http://www.irish-humanists.org/

Has anybody been along to any of their gigs?

Advertisement