Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Rage

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boy you really know how to win friends and influence people don't you?

Your 'tone' was clear enough for me, it read like a challange. I reckon you would have been happy enough to engage in an on-line scrap if one developed. You might think I'm reading into stuff thats is'nt there well maybe but by "playing nice" there is less chance of any confusion on this Moderators part.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

If you saw contempt in my posts then you would be right because I held everything the guy I quoted wrote in such a manner. In fact I hold 99% of Irish drivers in exactly the same way, if someone wants to overtake someone and the gap is there and the road is clear then they are absolutely entitled to in my opinion. Sometimes after you have accelerated past someone there is a need to slow down for the car 50-100 yards in front of you, now this in my opinion is part and parcel of driving on a busy road, it does not entitle someone to sit on their horn to show their displeasure or "personally take great offence at my stopping distance being cut from under me". It is for this comment alone I asked said person to get down of their high horse. They dont own the road. Too many times have either myself or someone I know have been flashed or beeped aggressively because they've had the cheek to overtake that car.

Now personally speaking id be looking to ban these people from the roads never mind someone who voices his discust as this behaviour on a messageboard.

I'm talking about your (and others) tone/langauge/attitude on boards - nothing else.

If you want to contribute do so in a valid, civilised fashion. Thats all I ask of a poster.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Did you not just read Mikes comment about personal abuse? Any more and you're banned!

Sounds to me like the over-taker came upon to dwadlers doing as you stated 45-50mph on a straight road and you dont like being over-taken. I hate when people start bringing the fact that they have kids in their cars into arguments like this, who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

overdriver wrote:
    Also I gave an undercover cop the finger, and the excuse to pull me over and hassle me. Better to ignore.
    By far.

LOL!!!! That happened to me as well!

He did a quick U-turn, put on his flashing lights and pulled me over. He was raging! I got hassled for about 10 mins as well and the old I'll be getting a summons in the post. That was 13 months ago and I never heard anything more about it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

mike65 wrote:
    Right take this as a general warning - any more hostile attacks on fellow posters will result in a BAN.

\m/_(>_<)_\m/ and cpoh1 I'm looking at you two in particular while C_Breeze also catching my eye for the wrong reasons.

If you can't express yourselves without resorting to abuse then I suggest you find a more appropriate forum for your 'talents'

Mike.
    that a bit transparent isn't it mike... the 3 posters who don't agree with the op.
    you couldn't be more obvious.

but saying that, i will have to take on board what you say and retract whatever statement you found offense with.

i am out of this unbiased "road rage" thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I suppose you would have witness this incident to be sure who was in the wrong, chances are there was an element of road rage from both parties involved.

I can understand the annoyance of some of the contributors to the thread as there is little doubt that there are quite a few of drivers on our roads that appear to take it as a grave personal insult if you dare to overtake them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Nuttzy wrote:
    Did you not just read Mikes comment about personal abuse? Any more and you're banned!

Sounds to me like the over-taker came upon to dwadlers doing as you stated 45-50mph on a straight road and you dont like being over-taken. I hate when people start bringing the fact that they have kids in their cars into arguments like this, who cares?

I'd say anyone who actually has kids would care. And if you have kids, you soon learn to slow down and be more attentive, careful and considerate on the road. I've noticed that I always drive a lot slower when my kids are in the car (not that I speed anyway). What sort of muppet would recklessly endanger their kids by speeding when they are in the car?

As for the OP, ok, so you were annoyed at some guy overtaking you and cutting you up. He didn't cause you to crash so get over it and just accept the fact that our roads are full of mindless eejits who don't give a toss about anyone else. The best course of action is to drive defensively and believe that you are the only rational and sane driver on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

if someone wants to overtake someone and the gap is there and the road is clear then they are absolutely entitled to in my opinion.

Absolutely fine, yet, very often, the gap is NOT there to manoever safely.
    Sometimes after you have accelerated past someone there is a need to slow down for the car 50-100 yards in front of you, now this in my opinion is part and parcel of driving on a busy road, it does not entitle someone to sit on their horn to show their displeasure or "personally take great offence at my stopping distance being cut from under me".

Absolutely, except, if I have to brake (thereby concerning any road users behind my car) then this is NOT a safe manoever and should NOT Be attempted.
    It is for this comment alone I asked said person to get down of their high horse. They dont own the road.
    No, I don't own the road, yet I have considerable respect for other road users. Those who do not feel the need to drive aggressively and at excess speed. These people have respect for their lives and thos of others and not all can be labelled dawdlers or people who hate to be overtaken. To do so is a sweeping generalisation and one which rather detracts from the real issue of the execution of a dangerous manoever.

To that point, why then do we see the ads and everything else explaining the correct procedure for overtaking ? Why is this needed if you are correct in forcing people to slow down or even brake ?

Too many times have either myself or someone I know have been flashed or beeped aggressively because they've had the cheek to overtake that car.

Does this not possibly point to your (or others) behaviour in this regard? Or are all those other motorist simply in the wrong ? All the other drivers as dawdlers and hate to be overtaken is it ?? :rolleyes:
    Now personally speaking id be looking to ban these people from the roads never mind someone who voices his discust as this behaviour on a messageboard.

Absolutely..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Perhaps this may help:
    http://www.iif.ie/road-advice-article.aspx?article=389a1106-f8bb-4b7f-a1c4-adf02ba52470

Particluar points of note:

Can I see far enough ahead to be sure it is safe?
    Can I overtake without affecting any other vehicles' position or speed?
    Am I able to pull back to my own side of the road in plenty of time after completing the manoeuvre?
    Can I abandon the overtaking manoeuvre if another hazard comes into view?
    Will I come into conflict with any other road user?
    Will I end up making a third line of vehicles abreast at any point during the manoeuvre?
    Will it be legal to overtake here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

fatboypee wrote:
    I personally take great offence at my stopping distance being cut from under me, (especially when I'm travelling with my kids in the car) in this manner and I would be equally as vocal if it happened to me.

NOBODY has the right to overtake where doing so endangers the safety of other road users, what the OP described to me is wreckless driving which impacts his safety and he has EVERY right to voice his outrage. Once off, let it go, but every ofther fkking day this kind of bad driving occurs, we see it in the statistics read out every month on the news in the shape of deaths.

Fatboy.

Well I think that a driver (you/me) always has full control over their stopping distance. In reality, someone cutting into your forward space is something you should have already factored into your stopping distance. You should be prepared for the idiot who does this and your stopping distance should be enough to allow someone overtake you and pull back in in front of you. I'm not talking about an empty road where nobody is going to be overtaking you but if your paying attention to what is going around you, you should be able to tell well in advance when someone is going to overtake you if your driving on a busy road, whether they should overtaking you or not.

Regarding the OP, sounds like you provoked the guy into a confrontation tbh...

Boring.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement