Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about the eye cinema

Options
  • 10-09-2006 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I was in the Eye cinema last night watching Beerfest and the sound was really poor (relatively speaking, for cinema levels of quality that is) and my girlfriend said the people behind her were saying that from now on, the Eye is not using surround sound but rather, sound that comes solely from the front of the screen.

Sounded a bit strange and more importantly stupid to me, and if that really were the case, I'd stop going to the Eye and revert to the Omniplex, as while it didn't make a huge difference to beerfest last night it'd certainly impact on high octane films with low, baseless volume that sounds distant instead of the usual excellent surround...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

boneyarsebogman... we need you here!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

i think thats the way the audio was recorded for the film... could be wrong though.. but its not the first time i've heard it happen.... just filmmakers doing the cheap option on sound that's all.. it can really take away from the film too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

there is nothin more annoying that something upsetting the film your watching esp in a cinema...i think i was in the eye recently watching my super ex-girlfriend (with my sister might i ad...i didnt choose!) and i do remember during quiter moments of the film, there was defo some sound seepage from the next door theatre! it annoyed the crap out of me

maybe its just the quality of the cinemas in galway...

i went to see lady in the water recently with the girlfriend in the omniplex..heres me thinking for the first 20-30 mins that the director delibertely shot the film in a depth of field blurry way....I finally got up and ran to the nearest "assistant" and told him what the problem was and returned to me seat...10 mins later sure enough all of a sudden it was sharp and clear again!
    Do they even give a crap not to check the focus on the projectors??
    Or like the above mentioned prob...check the sound levels??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Steve - thats not really the point as even if the film was filmed in 2.0, it should still work fine using surround sound, even if there aren't location based effects! Whereas in Beerfest, the sound was low, crap, with a somewhat audible underlying buzz and it came straight from and only from the front of the screen which had the effect of watching a tv that was too far away. I would have normally assumed it was just one of those days, but apparently the people sitting behind us worked in the EYE and said they were switching from Surround Sound to Sound only originating from the front.

I love the EYE and go once or twice a week every week, but I won't be going anymore if this is going to be the norm in every film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

HavoK wrote:
    Surround Sound to Sound only originating from the front.

in all honesty how in this day and age can a cinema of apparently more modern tech. be resorting to sound coming from the front...surely surround sound is an accepted norm by now...whats the point and going to see a film on a gigantic scale and only getting rubbish sound...hardly worth the 9euros now is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

go back and demand to see the manager and telll him about the problem and ask for either your money back or a complimentary ticket for something else..

sometimes the problem is that they just dont know that the speakers have been plugged out.. (the omniplex was terribal for things like that) no one tells them so they don't know to fix it..

try it and see hwat they say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Man I thought there'd be at least one joke about how it's called the "eye" not the "ear" by now. cmon people.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eulrin

Hey guys,

ok i'm gona try to clarify some things for you.

Yes the sound in screen 2 and 6 of the eye is lower than normal (running analogue sound as opposed to digital) due to a problem with the equipment. This should be fixed by the end of the week. (Theyve been screaming for the engineers to come out for weeks!)

Because there is nothing wrong with the picture or sound, apart from it being slightly lower, the eye management are well within there right to charge full price. (just saying this because thats what i would be giving out about!)

In terms of sound leakage, sometimes people going in and out of screens occasionally leave the screen doors open or dont close them properly hence sound leakage problems.

This problem is mind numbing for the staff and management at the moment because they are relying on other companies to come back to them.

Hope that clears up some things

But just to finish, the eye is NOT switching from "Surround Sound to Sound only originating from the front", in actual fact, they have the technology known as Dolby Surrond Sound EX, which is the next step up. the omniplex have this in only one screen aparently.

Hah thanks man. I was going to give a pretty crappy explanation, but yours comes from experience. Euirin knows precisely what he is talking about!

The moral of the story is this;

When you are going into one of the screens, please please PLEEASSEE close the doors properly behind ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So what an earth were the guys behind us, who apparently worked in the Eye, going on about analogue sound being used as standard? I mean, had they not said this, I would have obviously put the occurance down to bad timing...

Either way, thanks for the explanation, guess I will be continuing to go to the Eye in future after all...never really liked the Omniplex anyway :D

PS - just to clarify things I was not suggesting a refund to be in order or any such thing, I still enjoyed the film etc just found the sound annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

(Narrative voice talking, as camera pans over rolling green hills and bubbling streams)

And once again, everything was alright in boards-land tm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭madhitchhiker

Originally posted by Redhairedguy
    And once again, everything was alright in boards-land tm

....amen!:D

go back and demand to see the manager and telll him about the problem and ask for either your money back or a complimentary ticket for something else..

sometimes the problem is that they just dont know that the speakers have been plugged out.. (the omniplex was terribal for things like that) no one tells them so they don't know to fix it..

try it and see hwat they say ;)

The projection team is constantly in contact with the floor staff.

So if you encounter any sort of problem relating to the movie, get in contact with a floor staff and they shall in turn let the on-duty projectionists know and they shall clarify the problems post haste.

Advertisement