Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Donegal person of all time???

Options
  • 10-09-2006 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭

Who do you think is the greatest Donegal person of all time and why?

They can be male/female, living or dead.

Who contributed most to this county or country?

Who will be remembered in history for their glorious deeds in 300 years from now?

Give us your thoughts and opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Kurtlmoore2%20068.jpg

joking :P ...had to get it out of the way, tbh.

(ps. no image tags on this board?)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

D. O'D would probably get my granny's vote if she was a member here. But sadly she has been deaf and blind for the last 30 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy 20 ftw. :D

Seriously, I will trawl through the local history books before making my final choice but whether his deeds are considered glorious or not, I think Neil Blaney will be remembered for a long time. (Before anybody starts, I have no political affiliations).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Daniel O'Donnell :p

Seriously, there was a cardinal from Ranafast who did a lot for the county when times were bad, he's probably the man I'd put forward.

Seriously, there was a cardinal from Ranafast who did a lot for the county when times were bad, he's probably the man I'd put forward.
    Have you a name for him as I am curious about this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

smashey wrote:
    Paddy 20 ftw. :D

Seriously, I will trawl through the local history books before making my final choice but whether his deeds are considered glorious or not, I think Neil Blaney will be remembered for a long time. (Before anybody starts, I have no political affiliations).

smashey,

Who the hell is Paddy20 ?.;) , however 'Neil Blaney' ranks highly on my list :) I will add my personal choice at a later date provided this thread remains alive,for long enough :D

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Daniel O'Donnell :p

Seconded. This is really clsoe to home to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Isaac Butt from Glenfin for starting the Home Rule Party.
    Packie Bonner (for World Cup 1990)
    Rory Gallagher.
    "Red" Hugh O'Donnell

Personally I am struggling to select who I think is or was the greatest Donegal person. There are a lot to choose from. As il gatto said you have people from a period in history like Isaac Butt and Red Hugh O'Donnell right up to modern times with Daniel O'Donnell.

Dont forget people like Canon James McDyer who was a nearly a saint in the sixties and seventies as far as rural workers and dwellers were concerned.

Couple of politicians who in my opinion have contibuted to the county were/are Neil T Blaney and Pat the cope Gallagher.

I need to give this more thought

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

il gatto wrote:
    Rory Gallagher.

Aha!!! The Winner!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

God, yeah, Rory Gallagher definitely!

Legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭WunderFull

Shay Given

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think that poet William Allingham from Ballyshannon should perhaps get a mention also.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Pat "The Cope"

seriously though, has to be Rory Gallagher

muffler,

I honestly believe we have a very large number of Donegal people of whom we can be justly proud, but as to whom could be justly called The Greatest' is practically impossible to answer IMHO :confused: .

[HTML]muffler,[/HTML]
    Correct, thats me

[HTML]I honestly believe we have a very large number of Donegal people of whom we can be justly proud,[/HTML]

Correct again

[HTML] but as to whom could be justly called The Greatest' is practically impossible to answer IMHO :confused[/HTML]

Correct once more

And we will never know who the greatest is/was for sure. The thread is just to get opinions and maybe stir a few memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They'd have to be dead becasue there isn't a single "great" person in Donegal!

They'd have to be dead becasue there isn't a single "great" person in Donegal!
    Ah the joys of being a mod.

I never liked these new people coming here and insulting our comrades.

Scrameen banned for a week (at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

ahh muffler, how many notch's on the bed post have you now

Greatest donegal person, D O'Donnell should get a sincere mention for what he has done for the Rosses. He has a natural following and is a good ambassador for the area and the county.

I have met him a few times and i have to say he is a genuine bloke.

nanook wrote:
    ahh muffler, how many notch's on the bed post have you now

Greatest donegal person, D O'Donnell should get a sincere mention for what he has done for the Rosses. He has a natural following and is a good ambassador for the area and the county.

I have met him a few times and i have to say he is a genuine bloke.
    Good to see you back again nanook (hope you didnt tell anyone I banned you for 2 weeks)

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    Good to see you back again nanook (hope you didnt tell anyone I banned you for 2 weeks)

What ? only two weeks ;) So, I still hold the honour of being the person banned for the longest time on The North-West forum :D .

Excluding, those permanently banned, if there are any ?..

Yes indeed Paddy you do hold the record (excl. permanent bans)

Back on topic again. I still cant convince myself who I think deserves the title in my opinion.

I think I would plump for Canon McDyer who did more for rural Ireland than the entire cabinet at the time. He give people hope and led them through poor times and eased the emigration trend

muffler wrote:
    Yes indeed Paddy you do hold the record (excl. permanent bans)

Back on topic again. I still cant convince myself who I think deserves the title in my opinion.

I think I would plump for Canon McDyer who did more for rural Ireland than the entire cabinet at the time. He give people hope and led them through poor times and eased the emigration trend

You know, I am very close to seconding your view that Canon McDyer deserves the nomination, especially as we had the honour of having Monsignor McDyer in Stranorlar for so long. (Now retired, but still very active).

Someone that earned my respect and admiration, and still holds my gratitude to this day.

However, I am still personally undecided, but at least there are two of us rooting for Canon McDyer :)

Advertisement