Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Influence !, Has The N.W. Got Any ?..

Options
  • 10-09-2006 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

As someone who is not affiliated to any political party, I am concerned that I personally am at a loss about which party I should vote for at the next election.

As a citizen I feel it is my duty to vote , but for whom ?...

In my lifetime Fianna Fail seems to have had the N.W. sown up, but I honestly am not impressed, some may argue that this thread belongs in the Political Forum, but I believe it is time for N.W. citizens to have their own say in their own independent forum.

Again I stress that no political party New or Old have earned my respect due to the obvious neglect of my home region since the formation of this State.

A General Election is not far off, so how do you think we can in the time left to us, generate more attention to all the needs of the people in the North West ?... :confused:

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy, we have some political influence insofar as we have six TDs. After the election, influence will be in the hands of the Ministers. Think of all the things we got when James McDaid was Minister for sport. His successor is from Kerry and they are reaping the rewards now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

smashey wrote:
    Paddy, we have some political influence insofar as we have six TDs. After the election, influence will be in the hands of the Ministers. Think of all the things we got when James McDaid was Minister for sport. His successor is from Kerry and they are reaping the rewards now.

Yes, Dr James McDaid did what I believe he could for his N.W. constituents, but I still believe that we are marginalised because of our N.W. location and the people still need something along the lines of a non-political lobby of real influence, after all Jimmy Mc Daid is and was a Fianna Fail 'Toyboy' ;) from the Dublin 'Golden Circle' perspective. Just look at his current predicament ?..IMHO his talents were used and the his personal failings were then deliberately publicly exposed by the F.F. inner circle to discard him and throw him to the wolves ?...of public opinion.`There is more to Politics in the North-West than being Minister for sport :rolleyes:

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is there a list/site of any kind with who is running or is it too early? A lack of names at the moment stops me from even thinking about this. All i know is that i will not be voting FF/SF

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Good thread, I think. I was talking about this to a few mates the other week, and I can't think of any party I'd be happy to vote for.

A detailed list as relativitiy suggested would be nice. But it probably won't be available until perhaps early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's simple. If you're happy with society, vote Fianna Fail. If you're not, vote for Finn Gael/Labour. Don't let the medias insistance that the public can't see a viable alternative put you off, because that, in my opinion is verging on propaganda.
    Fianna Fail have held power, in one form or another, for 16 out of the last 18 years. If you feel the gap between rich and poor is widening, if you're unhappy that affordable housing is not being provided, if you feel crime is on the up and if you think healthcare is not good enough, vote for the opposition. It's not their fault that we have these problems, and to quite frank, they couldn't do much worse on these issues than the current government.

• Advertisement
Advertisement