Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

two mobile phone numbers on one SIM

• 10-09-2006 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

I nevr thought it was possible but a neighbour was telling me tonight that the mob operators will do it for 25€. As far as I could see on the internet, it is not hard to implement (at least in Asia) so I do not know what the story is here! Would be nice being able to switch operators from the Profiles menu...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

regedit wrote:
    I nevr thought it was possible but a neighbour was telling me tonight that the mob operators will do it for 25€. As far as I could see on the internet, it is not hard to implement (at least in Asia) so I do not know what the story is here! Would be nice being able to switch operators from the Profiles menu...

Most modern SIMs and no 3G sim cannot be cloned, if you have an older sim you can get a blank sim and writer than will support 8 or even 16 numbers on one sim, however this make not be legal to do so in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My n90 supports multiple lines. And Vodafone do too, but only on Business accounts, you can have a work number by day, and a personal number by night on the one SIM and one Phone, but again, only for business accounts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Surely there can't be a legal reason why a business account is allowed to have two lines while a private account only one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Of course there is. Vodafone make more money out of saps who have both lines on two separate contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

You could get a GSM phone that takes 2 SIM cards, and lets you toggle between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

theres used to be a thing called a split sim, one simcard with two numbers on, or it could be one number, one part prepay and one bit postpay.at a certain time they switched over.
    they were a right disaster though.
    just use two phones or get one unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

Vodafone still have a split SIM for business customers but you need to switch off phone to switch between numbers by entering the applicable PIN

I have learned the hard way. The Dual Sims on ebay are for older version 1 Sim cards and may not suit your particular handset. It is possible to get a Dual Sim adapter similar in size to a standard SIM card that will work on the latest Version 3 Sim cards. I have installed them in Nokias and Motorolas, but am certain will work on other makes too. There was a problem on a Motorola from Meteor because the Dual SIM card only works on Moto phones where SIM apps is activated. If you have a Moto with Vodafone or O2 and you see on the menu Vodafone or O2 services / menu, then the Dual Sim works perfectly. You are provided with cutting templates and effectively what you do is cut around the gold section of a SIM card and then place the two in the adapter. Switching between numbers is done from the main menu and with the latest Nokias and with Motorolas you can create a shortcut item to switch and it takes about 30 seconds for the new SIM to activate. Alternatively you can set an autoswitch that will switch numbers at pre set intervals. If you want to use different operators, your phone must be network unlocked. The adapter will work for 3G phones but only on 2.5G. Regular switching between numbers shortens the battery life. Applications for this would be to have Earybird / Nightowl, Anytime / Leisure time, tariffs or work / personal phones or when going abroad insert a foreign SIM for calls where you want to avoid roaming charges or calling two girlfriends from separate numbers!

Save all your contacts to the phone and service contacts eg customer service to SIM. Then your phone book is available to call from either SIM, but you don't end up calling Meteor from your Vodafone or vice versa

Apologies for the poor snap shots, but you can see on this Nokia 6230i how Vodafone & Meteor are working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

also, 5c calls and free texts. i have both but i have to switch sims all the time. i've got it down to a fine art. it takes about 8 seconds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

yapyap wrote:
    Vodafone still have a split SIM for business customers but you need to switch off phone to switch between numbers by entering the applicable PIN

I have learned the hard way. The Dual Sims on ebay are for older version 1 Sim cards and may not suit your particular handset. It is possible to get a Dual Sim adapter similar in size to a standard SIM card that will work on the latest Version 3 Sim cards. I have installed them in Nokias and Motorolas, but am certain will work on other makes too. There was a problem on a Motorola from Meteor because the Dual SIM card only works on Moto phones where SIM apps is activated. If you have a Moto with Vodafone or O2 and you see on the menu Vodafone or O2 services / menu, then the Dual Sim works perfectly. You are provided with cutting templates and effectively what you do is cut around the gold section of a SIM card and then place the two in the adapter. Switching between numbers is done from the main menu and with the latest Nokias and with Motorolas you can create a shortcut item to switch and it takes about 30 seconds for the new SIM to activate. Alternatively you can set an autoswitch that will switch numbers at pre set intervals. If you want to use different operators, your phone must be network unlocked. The adapter will work for 3G phones but only on 2.5G. Regular switching between numbers shortens the battery life. Applications for this would be to have Earybird / Nightowl, Anytime / Leisure time, tariffs or work / personal phones or when going abroad insert a foreign SIM for calls where you want to avoid roaming charges or calling two girlfriends from separate numbers!

Save all your contacts to the phone and service contacts eg customer service to SIM. Then your phone book is available to call from either SIM, but you don't end up calling Meteor from your Vodafone or vice versa

Apologies for the poor snap shots, but you can see on this Nokia 6230i how Vodafone & Meteor are working

So is there a dual switching sim adapter that supports 3G cards?
    I have an O2 sim (which is a work sim, used just as 2.5G but wanna use it as a 3G sim in my new phone) and a Meteor sim (2.5G until they get the 3G contract :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

skearon wrote:
    Most modern SIMs and no 3G sim cannot be cloned, if you have an older sim you can get a blank sim and writer than will support 8 or even 16 numbers on one sim, however this make not be legal to do so in Ireland.

current O2 sims (pre pay & Bill Pay) are cloneable..Voda and meteor not..

Advertisement