Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the country questions

Options
  • 11-09-2006 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi There
    I am looking at moving to the country and trying to estimate costs, I've seen that a septic tank can cost around 5,000 euro and I am trying to estimate how much a new roof would cost and 5 windows would cost on a small ruin of a cottage to see whether I could afford to buy a ruin and get the basics done on it, can anyone help
    Sue

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

Getting the basics done on a small ruin is alot of money and time!!

My parents bought a small ruin in Cavan...beutiful site and surroundings, but its costing them a fortune!!!

If it has no septic-tank, the chances are it has no electricity or running water, these things cost couple of grand and can take months!!

Your windows will cost around 2,000 and roof 10,000! If its a bad ruin, you'll need to get it; re-wiered, re-plumbed, re-plastered and insulated!!

Look out for all these things when looking at old houses.

Good luck...wish u the best:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Hi There
    I am looking at moving to the country and trying to estimate costs, I've seen that a septic tank can cost around 5,000 euro and I am trying to estimate how much a new roof would cost and 5 windows would cost on a small ruin of a cottage to see whether I could afford to buy a ruin and get the basics done on it, can anyone help
    Sue

if it reqires serious work consider dozing it and start afresh with a 100% modern material spec. best in long run

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

plasto wrote:
    Getting the basics done on a small ruin is alot of money and time!!

If it has no septic-tank, the chances are it has no electricity or running water, these things cost couple of grand and can take months!!

Your windows will cost around 2,000 and roof 10,000! If its a bad ruin, you'll need to get it; re-wiered, re-plumbed, re-plastered and insulated!!

QUOTE]

yeah, and of course most likely foundations new DPC etc etc required, water connections
    ruins are great, they make life easier when it comes to planning permission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 propertysue

Hi All
    Thanks for all the info, I'll takle it into consideration, I've just heard that VAT of up to 9% needs to be paid if I buy land with a ruin on it that hasn't been lived in for a while. Does anyone know anything about this
    Sue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Hi All
    Thanks for all the info, I'll takle it into consideration, I've just heard that VAT of up to 9% needs to be paid if I buy land with a ruin on it that hasn't been lived in for a while. Does anyone know anything about this
    Sue

A ruin...not lived..... in by what?:) :)

• Advertisement

Not lived in by people, I'm sure there are a lot of other things living there that I don't want to think off, have you heard of this land/property tax, I thought I was free from stamp duty as the cost is under 100,000
    Sue

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

There are grants available for the redevelopment of old dwellings in the likes of Cavan, Leitrum and 3 other neighbouring counties. Dont know where you are situated if this helps..

Old houses are very expensive. As previously stated mab be better to bulldoser...

Hi There
    I have bought in Roscommon so I'll check if there are grants available, the house dosen't look to bad sound walls, some leaks in the gutters have caused damp problems and damage but only at one side to the front of the property. Thanks for all the great comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My advice is to enquire locally about a good decent contractor and get him to have a look at it and give you a few prices. He shouldnt charge for this but you could give him the price of a few pints for his time.

Hi All back again just got an engineers report and it's not good, gable wall is structurally unsound and house has wood worm, don't know whether the roof needs replacing now also, does anyone know how much it could cost to rebuild a gable wall on a two storey house. Any quotes or info on woodworm treatment, how I can find out if the dashing is cement or lime and whether putting a tamp course into a stone lime building is advisable, actually any info on refurbishing an old house would be usefull, tried that Quick quote site got no replies and that was months ago, Sue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Any chance you could post of photo of the house and the external measurement ie length by depth. Also if it is costing you less than 100,000 on say 1/2 acre it probably needs

a new roof although wood worm can be treated see http://www.protim.ie/onsite.htm
    new windows
    structural work to repair the gable. I wouldn’t touch a two storey house that needed a gable wall replaced.

To give you an idea I renovated a 38ft by 15ft cottage three years ago and it cost, cleanup and site prep 2000, repair blockwork and new roof 20000, new concrete poured floor 800, insulation and dry lining 2500, electrics 1300, plumbing 2000, well 2200, septic tank 3000, landscaping 3000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

Hi All back again just got an engineers report and it's not good, gable wall is structurally unsound and house has wood worm, don't know whether the roof needs replacing now also, does anyone know how much it could cost to rebuild a gable wall on a two storey house. Any quotes or info on woodworm treatment, how I can find out if the dashing is cement or lime and whether putting a tamp course into a stone lime building is advisable, actually any info on refurbishing an old house would be usefull, tried that Quick quote site got no replies and that was months ago, Sue

Woman! You're looking at spending tens of thousands of euros! :rolleyes: Go get your self a quantity surveyor!!!

My parents have built two houses - for the second one they got a quantity surveyor in to estimate all the costs invovled right down to the number of nails. They said it was invaluvable. Their budget was much more realistic from the start. They said it was definitely a good investment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Not lived in by people, I'm sure there are a lot of other things living there that I don't want to think off, have you heard of this land/property tax, I thought I was free from stamp duty as the cost is under 100,000
    Sue

If its a ruin and hasn't been lived in for a number of years, it is considered the same as buying a piece of land. Different stamp duty rules apply:

Up to 10,000 euro Exempt
    10,001 euro - 20,000 euro 1%
    20,001 euro - 30,000 euro 2%
    30,001 euro - 40,000 euro 3%
    40,001 euro - 70,000 euro 4%
    70,001 euro - 80,000 euro 5%
    80,001 euro - 100,000 euro 6%
    100,001 euro - 120,000 euro 7%
    120,001 euro - 150,000 euro 8%
    Over 150,000 euro 9%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

Linford wrote:
    If its a ruin and hasn't been lived in for a number of years, it is considered the same as buying a piece of land. Different stamp duty rules apply:

Up to 10,000 euro Exempt
    10,001 euro - 20,000 euro 1%
    20,001 euro - 30,000 euro 2%
    30,001 euro - 40,000 euro 3%
    40,001 euro - 70,000 euro 4%
    70,001 euro - 80,000 euro 5%
    80,001 euro - 100,000 euro 6%
    100,001 euro - 120,000 euro 7%
    120,001 euro - 150,000 euro 8%
    Over 150,000 euro 9%

Hmm I don't know that I would agree with that. A house is a house. Whether someone is living in it or not and its state of repair is beside the point. Anyway, revenue won't know the state of the house. Just that there is one. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Sue

you are exempt from paying the residential stamp duty. provided you
    are a first time buyer and it costs less that 127k have a look at www.revenue.ie all the rates are online. so no 9K to pay out:D

don't forget the other charges involved too, land registry, searches etc
    a search will set you back 120euro land and deed registry approx 500 and then stamp duty on the mortgage documentation total cost approx 1000
    mortgage valuation fee approx 127euro (ebs)

i must emphasise that you must engage the services of a draughtsman/engineer/ architect or anyone who can advise you in the process otherwise this could end up costing you a fortune

a pint of plain is yer only man

de_man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Sue,

Just to re-iterate what has been said above.. get professional help with this. I've seen plenty of ruins that have been renovated within budget but I've seen the other cases where they have turned into money-pits..

Also, it might be a consideration to knock the current building and start again - you may be able to salvage stone etc..

The ruin may be handy as regards planning but again, have a word with a local engineer to see where you stand on this..

Let us know how you get on as I'm always interested in projects like this. If you have some pics, please post them (I can give you some server space if needed..)

Advertisement