Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nitrous oxide

Options
  • 11-09-2006 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Does any body know if there is anywhere in dublin where you can buy nitrous kits and get them fitted? even on the island itself? ..or is it a typical UK job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Is this not illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

no I don't think it's illegal. Just not safe and your insurance will go sky high too... what have you got? please tell me it's not a glanza...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I was told by a guard (he may have been bull****tin but..) that technically it isn't illegal to be in the possession of Nitrus Oxide, but it was indeed illegal to use it.. so take what you will from that. I'm sure if you got in contact with IceTronix in Dublin or Sleek FX in Limerick, they'd be able to point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MivecSocky

TTM in galway fit NOS kits, www.tightrope.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Don't forget a parachute as well to help you stop :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Why would it be illegal to have/use? It increases performace, just like a turbocharger, and there are no issues regarding emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

connundrum wrote:
    I was told by a guard (he may have been bull****tin but..) that technically it isn't illegal to be in the possession of Nitrus Oxide, but it was indeed illegal to use it.. so take what you will from that. I'm sure if you got in contact with IceTronix in Dublin or Sleek FX in Limerick, they'd be able to point you in the right direction.

A guard told me my exhaust was illegal. Pity there is no law stating such a thing. Some of them talk a lot of bull. I've never met the guard who says "you know, I don't know".

Tbh if you get Nitrious you run the risk of your engine blowing, burning out lest not forget exploding gas tanks upon a crash.

Unless your planning on drag racing in Mondello don't bother.

Edit :: Spelling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Joeface

If you were going to add Nitrous to a car a good idea might be a Diesel, The engine block in diesels is much stronger than standard cars to the cost of adding would actually be cheaper. A standard 1.9D golf has about 90bhp with Nitrous added it would push that to about 250bhp I think(not sure).Any petrol engine you add it too would have to me modified and prob the bigger the petrol engine u added to the safer it would be. other than that the main reason not to install is if u hit it here, all u will do is hit a pot hole doing 140 and crash or the bend u forgot was a hairpen will be there before u can react and crash again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

AFAIK, it's not illegal tohave the car plumbed for NOS, but it is illegal to have the bottle connected on a public road.

If you are going to go ahead and use it, then for Gods' sake uprate your brakes first...

Joeface wrote:
    If you were going to add Nitrous to a car a good idea might be a Diesel, The engine block in diesels is much stronger than standard cars to the cost of adding would actually be cheaper. A standard 1.9D golf has about 90bhp with Nitrous added it would push that to about 250bhp I think(not sure).Any petrol engine you add it too would have to me modified and prob the bigger the petrol engine u added to the safer it would be. other than that the main reason not to install is if u hit it here, all u will do is hit a pot hole doing 140 and crash or the bend u forgot was a hairpen will be there before u can react and crash again.
    I don't think the NOS would push 90bhp to 250bhp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Ok firstly i dont drive a glanza.

The nitrous will hopefully be going on a 2.5 n/a skyline.

I dont think its as extreme as everyone makes it out to be like fast&furious. (ie. you are doing 100kmh and then you press one button and the next thing you know youre breaking 280kmh and the undercarriage of your car is peeling off with motion blur and giant flames coming out of your exhaust!! :D )

id be looking to gain about 70-100 extra bhp- that shouldnt be tough on a large-ish capacity 6cyl engine, it should cope.

Did anybody see when it was presented on top gear?? on the diesel golf - the system didnt rely on a press of a button to get a huge once off boost, rather it was engaged and it operated on the throtle progressively. thats what id be looking for

it was 5th gear not top gear . I only said 250bhp cause the Golf was up against and NSX which has about 260bhp and after the nitrous was added to the car ,with a constant flow it was well able to keep in the the NSX.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

AFAIK the only legal requirement with it is that you display a "Flamable Gas Onboard" Sticker on the car, like emergency vechicles and gas powered cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

mloc123 wrote:
    AFAIK the only legal requirement with it is that you display a "Flamable Gas Onboard" Sticker on the car

Theres a fart joke in here somewhere but I'm too tired...anyone else wanna have a go? :D

Kaos

Joeface wrote:
    it was 5th gear not top gear . I only said 250bhp cause the Golf was up against and NSX which has about 260bhp and after the nitrous was added to the car ,with a constant flow it was well able to keep in the the NSX.
    constant flow.... I thought that more than a 2/3 second shot can seriously f**k up your engine and blow it.

yeah it will blow ur engine that 2/3 second burst is half a tank of nitrous , constant flow is controlled to an even amount of gas been released into the manifold.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

I can't imagine any insurance company in this country would touch you if you said you'd installed NOS in your car... and as an undeclared modification you may as well drive around with no insurance as they won't cover you in case of a crash.
    Have you asked around insurance companies? I'd be curious of their reaction or if the average person manning their phones knew what you were talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I somehow doubt that the OP has any intention of ever informing his insurance company. He will intentionally drive around knowing he isnt covered. Or am I wrong? Which insurance company exactly will cover NOS?

Advertisement