Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help please.

• 11-09-2006 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I have a laptop and basically only bought it to play poker with, it is now constantly coming up that I am low on virtual memory and I am not sure how to go about clearing the memory. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

How much RAM have you got in the laptop? Virtual memory basically makes the computer act like it has more RAM than it actually has.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

Ruu wrote:
    How much RAM have you got in the laptop? Virtual memory basically makes the computer act like it has more RAM than it actually has.

Seriuosly I am computer illiterate, Sso I don't really know but I did try a thng called "disk defragmenter" and it's saying I only have 7% memory and that I need at least 15% for it to work.

7% memory would be your hard drive space, right click on My Computer, select Properties and then in the General tab it will tell you there along with the manufacturer how much RAM you have. Have a look here for some solutions. You probably should free up some hard drive space.

Handiest way to frree up hard drive sapce would be?????? Erm my Ram space is 240MB of Ram.

Cheers for help btw.

Eh, remove unwanted programs, try Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Cleanup also. That's a pretty low amount of RAM. What is the make/model of the laptop?

• Advertisement

It's an Acer Travelmate 2355LC.

I would advise killing any memory intensive applications that you might have running (Norton anti-virus maybe?) and putting in another stick of 256mb of RAM in there at least. Your laptop will be able to handle 2gb it looks like. Windows will eat that 240mb you already have on there fairly fast. Do you not find Windows terribly slow?

Yes it is extremely slow when loading up pages on the net and sometimes it can take forever. It is also very slow when strarting up. Cheers I will try and get some more RAM and see if it solves the problem.

Advertisement