Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early House

Options
  • 11-09-2006 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Does anyone know if Slatterys on Capel St. still opens at 7am?
    I know the Boar's Head is still an early house but they don't serve the full irish breakfast. Same goes for O'Reillys beside the Four courts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PRENDO

slatterys was reburbished a few years back and just opens normal hours now although it would still have a license to open early.but if they did it wouldnt be the same as the old slats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Buadhach

Ah well. It used to be the best early house around.
    Although that not saying much.
    Guess it'll have to the Boar's Head so. (and a breakie roll from Spar):D
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The White Horse on the quays is an early house and does a decent brekkie!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

frobisher wrote:
    The White Horse on the quays is an early house and does a decent brekkie!

They do breakfast?? :eek: I'v been in there a few times and never got as much as a smell of cooking or seen anyone eating food... Thats news to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

xzanti wrote:
    They do breakfast?? :eek: I'v been in there a few times and never got as much as a smell of cooking or seen anyone eating food... Thats news to me..

Yep, anyone I've seen in there in the early morning is chewing their own forehead but have never seen food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Buadhach wrote:
    I know the Boar's Head is still an early house but they don't serve the full irish breakfast. Same goes for O'Reillys beside the Four courts.

Slatterys was taken over by the owner of the IMperial pub in Cavan a good few years ago, done the whole place up and re-opened at normal hours, done ok the opening nite cause I had free beer all nite, went in a few times after opening and it gradually got quieter, in the end I think he just gave someone the lease or sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

is trader johns on moor st an early house?

where all else are the early houses in the city?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Yep, anyone I've seen in there in the early morning is chewing their own forehead but have never seen food.

LMFAO :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

What the hell is an early house?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

from AH.

sinecurea, it's a pub that opens early in the morning to sell beer to alcoholics, students and alcoholic students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The windjammer off Pearse St's an early house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Buadhach

I tried the Windjammer a few months back and it wasn't open.
    The looks I got banging on the pubs locked door at 8am. You think they'd never seen an alcoholic before. We're people too.

O'Reilly's (offered drugs in the jacks) and Boar's Head (I wont tell what I was offered in the jacks) are the only 2 I know of.
    I might try the White Horse. Broaden my horizons and what not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just out of interest are there any early houses in the suburbs? all the one i know seem to be in the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I know of a couple.

The Patrick Pearse on Pearse Street is always open, with many a pint of Guinness in front of the punters, as I walk to work in the mornings.

The Shakespeare on Parnell Street.
    (Edit: It might in fact be The Deers Head, and not The Shakespeare, but they're right beside eachother.)

And for the record, although you do get the alchos going in, you also get shiftworkers who've been working through the night, going in for an post-work bevvie. In fact, I think that's the early house's main customer. I know if I had to work nights, and fancied a pint afterwards, I'd be very glad of a local early house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I can 100% tell you that the White Horse not only opens earely doors but also does an excellent breakfast. It will be fairly lifeless though.

For good craic you can't beat O'Reilly's on the northside of the Quays, full of mentallers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

Is O'Reillys the one just over the bridge if you are coming from Christchurch?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

just out of interest are there any early houses in the suburbs? all the one i know seem to be in the city centre

The Waterside in Howth used to be, not sure if it still opens early. It had the licence for the fishermen coming from the boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's one in the Fruit & Vegetable market at the corner of Green Street and Little Mary Street (beside the Special Criminal Court). It's usually fairly busy. I can't think of it's name at the moment.

There used to be one on Amiens Street - Lloyd's or Graingers (?). A lot of the bus drivers from Bus Aras used to get their breakfast there. I'm not sure if it's still going.
    I can 100% tell you that the White Horse not only opens earely doors but also does an excellent breakfast. It will be fairly lifeless though.
    I was in the White Horse a few times (years ago) and certainly didn't see any breakfast. Seemed to be full of 'Corpo' staff.
    Early opening licences were traditionally given to pubs in areas with workplaces that had staff who worked irregular hours - dockers, markets, fishing, livestock marts etc. That would probably explain why they were not found in suburban areas. When they were issued there would have been no suburbs anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

neds in townsend street, the metro & the shakespere (both in parnell st.) and the boars head in capel street are all early houses, i go to these as i finish work at 5 every morning. (the metro is very rough though). i find it funny sitting having a pint at 7 am looking at people rushing to work.

**check out www.dublinpubscene.com it has a list of all the early houses in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Anyone know if this slatterys place opens early these days?

Or any other decent pub for that matter?

I know the White Horse opens early but thats only on a saturday, looking for somewhere on a weekday.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Ah, this brings back memories... I worked nights in the Post for years and used to love a few pints in Scanlons (Neds) on a saturday morning... but occasionally they turned into all day sessions! Not so nice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Hmm you said decent pub don't know if this qualifies but it is an early house

Delaney's in Smithfield

No one will say boo to ya if you're in work clothes. Other than that don't make a scene and you'll be alright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

^^ I remember Delaneys... grumpiest barman I ever met but a good pub...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 collins19

Buadhach wrote: »

I may be 4 years too late, but I just accidentally came across this while searching something else and have to say that you were so misinformed. Slat's is and always has been an early house, I've been going there since 2003

Advertisement