Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

steering problems, again

Options
  • 11-09-2006 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

A few years ago I had problems with my power steering, it was hard to steer and had to use all strength to turn the wheel. I had to get the steering pump replaced by a dealer (who I suspected was doing a dicky job) and then a tie rod replaced by a more reliable mechanic. The latter I suspect was the problem all along.

Everything has been fine for the three years since then. Only get sluggish steering when air pressure in tyres are low, usually the front left is the culprit.

On Friday evening last I went fairly hard into a pothole and the front left tyre took the brunt of the impact. I drove on for a while and felt the steering was sluggish (plus a kind of whirring sound) so I brought the car to a forecourt, pumped up the tyres and everything was fine, but there was still a whirring sound.

On Saturday I had to drive 40 miles and back 40 miles on Sunday, no problems but there was still a slight whirring noise. Mentioned it to a guy I knew and he said the wheels could need balancing.

This morning driving to work the majority of the 30 mile trip was fine except as I got closer to work the steering got very, very hard and it took brute strength to get her around corners. Old problem from three years ago was back. I can still drive the car but it isn't ideal, or safe.

Any ideas on this? Could it be:

* Pothole knocked wheels out of alignment and wheels just need to be realigned
    * Impact of pothole affected the tie rod
    * Or, power steering system has completely failed and may need pump or rack assembly.

Jake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Check the power steering fluid reservoir. It's possible that a small leak could have developed after you hit the pothole, this might explain why the steering didn't get hard straightaway.

Anyway I'd say bring it to a reputable garage and get them to check the alignment, front suspenison, steering, CV joints etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hitting a pothole and knocking off the tracking, or indeed a bad tie rod end will cause the car to drift or pull to one side. It won't make the steering very very heavy as you describe.

I presume the steering is only very heavy at low speeds? If so, it's the power steering. Either fluid, as BrianD3 says, or the pump or the belt etc.

This is assuming it's hydraulic power steering and not electric. You haven't told us what model car is it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

Yep, only really noticed the problem at reasonably low speeds, certainly less than 40MPH. Prior to noticing problem I was driving around 50-60MPH for majority of trip. The car model is a 99 Hyundai Coupe. Jake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

mine seems really sluggish to steer for about 10-15 seconds after i start the car - then its grand - any ideas? the car is pulling to the left a bit too its a 98 106

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I had similar problem with 98 Citroen saxo, power sterring & heaters both went for about a month but now both are mysteriously working again :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement