Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom cuts broadband prices

Options
  • 11-09-2006 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

from siliconrepublic.com

11.09.2006 - Eircom yesterday unveiled plans to cut broadband prices across its 300,000-strong user base by 27pc. The company has also revealed that an additional 10,000 customers who previously could not get broadband now qualify for the service.
    Under the new price range, which comes into place on 2 October next, Eircom customers who use the 1MB Home Starter product will save €5 a month (16pc) as the price drops from €29.99 to €24.99.

The price of Eircom’s Home Plus Product, will drop by €10 to €29.99 a month. Eircom says this will save customers €120 off their annual bill.

Eircom customers who use the 3MB Home Pro broadband product will receive a reduction of €15 from €54.99 down to €39.99.

The company said the price reductions will also apply to its wholesale customers.

In terms of the 10,000 additional customers who qualify for broadband, the company said the expansion applies to customers who are located near broadband enabled exchanges but whose line test failed due to distance from the exchange.

Eircom’s new CEO Rex Combs said that as broadband demand in Ireland grows, the company’s chief objective is to make broadband accessible to who ever wants it.

“The introduction of cheaper broadband prices coupled with the extended reach will further enhance growth in the Irish broadband market,” Combs said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

mayto wrote:
    from siliconrepublic.com Under the new price range, which comes into place on 2 October next, Eircom customers who use the 1MB Home Starter product will save €5 a month (16pc) as the price drops from €29.99 to €24.99.

Thats good and everything, but BT are still €5 cheaper for the 1MB.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thats brilliant, now im gonna save €15 a month from next month. My only worry now is are these price cuts instead of the planned upgrades in a few months time. Will see we speed upgrades/cap increases from early next year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Shows that eircom are feeling the pain and losing out on the consumer packages to the competition.

The difference between eircom and the cheapest (BT) for 1Mbit was €10 , it will be €5 in future.

The difference between eircom and the cheapest (Digiweb and BT) for 2mbit was €10 and it will be €0 in future.

The difference between eircom and the cheapest (BT) for 3mbit was €15 and it will be €0 in future.

And thats not even factoring in the BT bundles which reduce the monthly cost even more.

There ARE no planned speed upgrades in the pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

If the prices apply to wholesale customers as Eircom say, does this mean we can expect BT to decrease their prices as well?

These are retail prices , no changes have been announced for Wholesale prices , see the list of specials here .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Sponge Bob wrote:
    These are retail prices , no changes have been announced for Wholesale prices , see the list of specials here .
    But the article says
    The company said the price reductions will also apply to its wholesale customers.

I thought the wholesale customers were BT, UTV, etc etc.

I cannot find anything on wholesale or in presss releases .....not that your are wrong helterskelter

This could mean €25 a month for 2Mbit if you are a BT or Digiweb customer , w00t :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Good news, but...get ready for the line rental increase. :p

kaizersoze wrote:
    Good news, but...get ready for the line rental increase. :p

€27.88 a month line rental is the figure they sent into Comreg . Comreg will agree it like the poodles they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is nice, I'd like to see an announcement from BT as to whether their prices will drop too, which they should if Eircom decreae the wholesale prices. But since they already sell at a fairly low price, and discount the line rental in the bundled product, I can't see a full €15 coming off the top package, even €5 or €10 would be nice though. Still, I'd rather keep paying the €50 and get an increase in the cap instead.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    €27.88 a month line rental is the figure they sent into Comreg
    And that will surely negate just about all of the wholesale rate discount :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Given that Smart are under the cosh a bit these days it might be nice to remember the part they have played to date in bringing down prices and upping speeds not just for their own customers but for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

At the bottom of the news item on eircom.ie it says
    Extended Availability
    We are also extending the reach of eircom broadband availability resulting in an additional 10,000 customers who now qualify for eircom broadband. The improvement applies to customers throughout the country already connected to eircom broadband enabled exchanges, but who’s line test previously failed due to the distance from the exchange.

I guess this refers to the change from 5KM to 5.5KM seen already? Or is this a further relaxing?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

skywalker wrote:
    Thats good and everything, but BT are still €5 cheaper for the 1MB.

Hehe, just been looking into getting a very basic Broadband package for my parents, saw BT's setup was 1MB/128K for 20e a month and was just going to compare it to everyone else

Guess I won't bother visiting Eircom now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Cabaal wrote:
    Hehe, just been looking into getting a very basic Broadband package for my parents, saw BT's setup was 1MB/128K for 20e a month and was just going to compare it to everyone else

Guess I won't bother visiting Eircom now :)
    Get the line rental and broadband bundle for €35, and you're effectively only paying a little over a tenner for the broadband. If their phonebill includes more than a tenner a month in calls to landlines, then the €45 bundle that includes line rental, broadband and free landline calls to Ireland and the UK is unbeatable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Foxwood wrote:
    Get the line rental and broadband bundle for €35, and you're effectively only paying a little over a tenner for the broadband. If their phonebill includes more than a tenner a month in calls to landlines, then the €45 bundle that includes line rental, broadband and free landline calls to Ireland and the UK is unbeatable.

Sounds good, however I'm curious to know how much this would work out as since my parents don't pay line rental as their over 65 :)

Cabaal wrote:
    Sounds good, however I'm curious to know how much this would work out as since my parents don't pay line rental as their over 65 :)
    Doesn't matter - the DFSA allowace will be credited against the BT bill instead of the eircom bill, so they aren't tied to eircom to get free line rental.

Foxwood wrote:
    Doesn't matter - the DFSA allowace will be credited against the BT bill instead of the eircom bill, so they aren't tied to eircom to get free line rental.

Ok so let me get this stright...

Allownace will be paid regardless I know that :)

But if they moved to the 35e product and spent over 10e on landline calls per month they'd be effectivaly be paying around 11e per month for Broadband?

Is this confirmed on the BT site?

Cabaal wrote:
    Ok so let me get this stright...

Allownace will be paid regardless I know that :)

But if they moved to the 35e product and spent over 10e on landline calls per month they'd be effectivaly be paying around 11e per month for Broadband?

Is this confirmed on the BT site?
    If they get the €45 package, they'll get line rental, 1MB broadband and all landline calls to Ireland and the UK.

That's be a bill of about €20 after the DSFA credit.

If they're currently spending €10/month on landline calls, they'll now get those calls and broadband for that €20. If they're currently speding €20 on landline calls, then the broadband is effectively free.

It's almost impossible to do a direct comparison, because monthly bills vary, and because eircom put customers on "options" packages, but don't explain what they include, or what the rates are on those plans, etc, but the bottom line is that bundling line rental with your BT broadband is the best deal around.

Go to btireland.custhelp.com and search for DFSA for more details.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to have a chat to them in relation to their call costs and see wehats the best option....I believe most of their call costs are made up of mobiles...they'd never spend 20e on landlines but they prop do spend 10e on landlines I'd imagine.

Note that the "free calls to landlines" excludes 1890, 1850 and 0818 or any other non-geographic number (don't know about 076 - it'd be ironic if they weren't free). So when looking at the previous bills, just count the local and national calls.

• Advertisement

my ma has teh €45 bundle.

she pays €24 for 1Mbit BB and all landline calls in ireland (up to one hour duration anytime ) after the social pays her rent .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Any word on reductions on the business packages?
    I can't seem to find the updated info on Eircom's site..
    (except for this.. eircom Significantly Cuts Broadband Prices )

• Registered Users Posts: 19 taoiseachjoe

According to a Press Release on eircom.ie, the new price for the Home Pro 3MB is going to be 49.40, NOT 39.99, stated by the first poster.

"The price reductions for eircom retail broadband prices:

Product
    Home Starter Home Plus Home Pro
    1MB 2MB 3 MB

Current monthly price €29.99 €39.99 €54.45

New monthly price €24.99 €29.99 €48.40

Saving €5.00 €10.00 €6.05"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Saving €5.00 €10.00 €6.05"

:mad: Thats not really consistent is it? You would think the discount would grow as the price went up...

I had a bad dream last night that i was downgraded to 1mb with digiweb!! Thats my nightmares for ya!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sponge Bob wrote:

There ARE no planned speed upgrades in the pipeline.

how do you know this? I hope this isnt true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

The price of Eircom’s Home Plus Product, will drop by €10 to €29.99 a month. Eircom says this will save customers €120 off their annual bill.

hmmm, let me think about this

€10 over 12 months
    10x12 on the calculator is just a sec..

oh my god they are right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

mukki wrote:
    hmmm, let me think about this

€10 over 12 months
    10x12 on the calculator is just a sec..

oh my god they are right!!

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Well I can look forward to a price drop on my broadband, thankfully I dont pay Line rental as I dont own the line.. thats for the parents to worry about.

That line rental increase is a joke, but if the new owners are sincere about wanting to drastically improve the LL, then I think it may be worth paying, after all, some people dont even get a proper line ¬_¬ .

If there are any planned speed increases, I am all for it, I wouldnt mind a nice 2x speed boost, 4Meg would be nice... although it still cannot compare to the colleges 30Meg Up 30Meg Down fiber connection :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

An upload speed increase would be better than a download speed increase IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

B'stards! I had the savings spent already! I'll have to make do with a €6.05 ivory back-scratcher rather than a €15 one.

(I'd love to see what the figures are for numbers of punters on the 1mb, 2mb and 3mb packages - are they giving the largest discount to the smallest body of people?, to minimise revenue loss while being able to claim offering price drops of (up to) 25%?

€6 is a bit stingy, seeing as they can afford to drop the mid-range product by a tenner.

Advertisement