Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Irish PS2 work with French TV?

• 11-09-2006 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

We are going to France soon and my son wants to haul his PS2 with him :rolleyes: - I'm not sure if it will even work with a French TV as, according to another boards.ie post:

"France uses its own bastardised form of TV going against nearly every standard of its neighbours, with SECAM colour, AM sound, +ve going sync pulses and +ve peak output vision power."

Anyone any idea whether it's worth while taking it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, considering you can buy DVDs/PS2 games in France and play them over here may be some way of syaing there's a possibility that Irish PS2s will work in France. I don't know about any other way that that the French use TVs. Just thought they were the same as over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

we are all in the same PAL region, so yeah it'll work fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The French don't use the PAL standard. They use the SECAM standard. I think you should be ok with it though. Check google.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

It'll probably be in black and white unless the TV play both PAL and SECAM. Which it probably will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DeirdreB

Thanks for all the replies

We'll take it with us and try it out - will post results back here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rawmish

Dunno if you're gone yet, but... If you are not and catch this, how easy it will be to use your PS2 will depend on what you use for the connection to the TV: if you use a SCART plug, then no problems whatsoever and if you use the antenna adapter (UHF socket), you will need to tune a TV channel for it - but you should still get colour/sound no probs on the right frequency.

France uses SECAM only for analogue over-the-air broadcast, but all sets are PAL-capable (SECAM is a variation of PAL, just like Ireland's PAL-I varies from the UK's PAL-L... which is why older UK TV sets don't work in Ireland etc.) and if you're looking at any form of A/V gear (DVD, VHS, camcorder etc.), it doesn't make any difference at all: all FR A/V gear is PAL as well, not specifically 'SECAM'.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

don't worry it'll work, they use pal as well. just change the ps2 cable for an european (continental) one or get an adaptor (you can get it in the airport)

Advertisement