Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst agents in Ireland! Help!

Options
  • 11-09-2006 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

The fridge freezer in my flat is damaged (the door of the freezer is damaged beyond repair, letting icey air into the fridge, thus causing the food in the fridge to crystallise, and one of the mirrored sliding wardrobe doors is cracked.

The fridge i'm more annoyed about as it means I can't use the bloody thing, it's an absolute pain in the a$$.

I've run the letting agent repeatedly only to be fobbed off with "Ah yeah i'll ring the landlady now and get back to you in 10 mins", never to hear from him again, girls in the office tell me he's "gone out" when it's clear he's not (keeping me on hold for minutes to come back and tell me this...when the receptionist sits 1 metre from his desk!).

I finally send a recorded delivery letter of complaint to the manager of the letting agency, which he signed for. That was 3 weeks ago. I moved in here 3 months ago. I alerted them to the problem a few days after moving in.

Don't know wtf else I can do...they're making me feel like i'm wasting their time, but i'm paying a lot for my own apartment and it's not up to scratch!

Is there much point going to PRTB? Is there some sort of ombudsman for estate agents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You could complain to the professional association of the estate agent, or you could complain to the local garda superintendent, who is responsible for licensing estate agents. I wouldn't bother though. It sounds like the estate agent is doing his job just fine. He is representing his client's interests. You are not his client.

Do you doubt that he has contacted the landlady? If he has, what else do you expect him to do?

I guess there is some point in going to the PRTB. What other choices do you have really? I'm not familiar with the procedure myself so I can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

His refusal to reply to my messages is proof that he isn't bothering to contact the landlord. Twice he has said 'Ah yeah i'll get on to the landlord now and call you back right after' and never heard from him.

WTF am I supposed to do? Buy a new fridge and replace the sliderobe door myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, he can't exactly ring you back and say 'the landlady is such a waster, she never rings back'.

Have you contacted the landlady directly?

Why not contact the PRTB?

Well I rang them again on Thursday and demanded to speak to the manager.
    He told me the reason I haven't got my lease back is because the landlady is living in...INDIA. The guy I was dealing with told me she lives in the UK.

The manager promised me he'd get the guy I have been dealing with to ring me back 'Today, tomorrow at the latest'. Of course I received no phone call.

I'm contacting the PRTB tomorrow. That's if the property is even registered with them, and I have a feeling it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Send a letter pointing out the clauses in the letting agreement regarding upkeep and maintenance of fittings and set a deadline for the repair to be carried out. State that if it is not done, you will buy a new fridge yourself and deduct the cost & delivery from your next month's rent.

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote:
    Send a letter pointing out the clauses in the letting agreement regarding upkeep and maintenance of fittings and set a deadline for the repair to be carried out. State that if it is not done, you will buy a new fridge yourself and deduct the cost & delivery from your next month's rent.

I'm going to contact the PRTB tomorrow and get them on to it, i've already sent such a letter to the letting agent manager and he ignored it. And this isn't just some little letting agents, it's Lowe, they have offices all over Dublin. I'm really disgusted at how they treat their customers.

Advertisement