Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ashley Cole sickens me!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'd imagine Ferdinand is one of those players only the team's fans would like, can't see many non United fans liking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

eoin2nc wrote: »
    What I dont understand is why were all the chelski players around the ref?Where they complaining that he gave Cashley a yellow card? If I was the ref I would have given him a straight red and booked most of the Chelsea team. Maybe then players might start to show a bit of respect.

Total bullies. United were at it for years too. I think the rule in rugby where the captain and the offending player are the only ones to talk to the player. If any of the other players try to approach the referee while he deals with the incident, they should be booked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Smegball wrote: »
    I'd imagine Ferdinand is one of those players only the team's fans would like, can't see many non United fans liking him.

difference, rio is not the brightest spark, but id say he is a top bloke.and if he didnt play for united, people wouldnt mind him. cole is just a torrid individual.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Should have been a red, just as bad as Taylors tackle.

I don't think Taylor's tackle had malicious intent like Ashley Cole's one last night. I said it before, and I'll say it again, Taylor's tackle looked worse cos Eduardo had him hammered. I think Cole went in looking to injure Hutton??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I don't think Taylor's tackle had malicious intent like Ashley Cole's one last night. I said it before, and I'll say it again, Taylor's tackle looked worse cos Eduardo had him hammered. I think Cole went in looking to injure Hutton??

We will have to agree to disagree on this one, imo he wanted to let Eduardo know he was about,and as various media have mentioned this season, the way to beat Arsenal is to get at them and kick them.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one, imo he wanted to let Eduardo know he was about,and as various media have mentioned this season, the way to beat Arsenal is to get at them and kick them.

Are you Arsene Wenger in disguise???
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Smegball wrote: »

and people associate this with his ability as a defender

I've heard so many people say he isn't in the same league as Carragher, Agger, Dunne, Richards, Mellberg, Laursen, every defender outside prem

bang head against wall stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

rio is not the brightest spark, but id say he is a top bloke.and if he didnt play for united, people wouldnt mind him. cole is just a torrid individual.

ha ha ha

you have the most manc tinted glasses i've ever witnessed!

Ferdinand seems like a tosser! i would be mystified how ANYONE would think he seemed anything other than a tosser!

wasnt he booed by united for a few games for being a tosser?

didnt he, in the build up to the world cup make a "punked" style show where he tried to coin his own catch-phrase!? ehhh Rio, do you not have more important things to be worrying about!? like the ****ing WC!!!!

didnt he let down his whole team and miss 9 months for "forgetting" to piss into a cup, going shopping instead.

On returning from this suspension, didnt he demand like £120k a week?!

the guy seems like an absolute tosser, i'd say the exact same no matter wat team he played for.

Just lucky for me he plays for utd.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ha ha ha

you have the most manc tinted glasses i've ever witnessed!

Ferdinand seems like a tosser! i would be mystified how ANYONE would think he seemed anything other than a tosser!

wasnt he booed by united for a few games for being a tosser?

didnt he, in the build up to the world cup make a "punked" style show where he tried to coin his own catch-phrase!? ehhh Rio, do you not have more important things to be worrying about!? like the ****ing WC!!!!

didnt he let down his whole team and miss 9 months for "forgetting" to piss into a cup, going shopping instead.

On returning from this suspension, didnt he demand like £120k a week?!

the guy seems like an absolute tosser, i'd say the exact same no matter wat team he played for.

Just lucky for me he plays for utd.

:D. He's on a par with Ashley Cole for being a thick alright. The difference is, imo, Ashley Cole is just an out and out vicious little scumbag!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

eoin2nc wrote: »
    What I dont understand is why were all the chelski players around the ref?Where they complaining that he gave Cashley a yellow card? If I was the ref I would have given him a straight red and booked most of the Chelsea team. Maybe then players might start to show a bit of respect.

On Sky Sports News earlier on they had a lip reader relaying what Mike Riley was saying to Cole. It was something along the lines of:

"Ashley, show some respect to me. Calm down. If you don't calm down and listen it will be a red card".

That was the general idea of it anyway.... Riley bottled it in my opinion. Should have been a red... and Riley should be relegated..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

On Sky Sports News earlier on they had a lip reader...

Oh for the love of f...

Come on do you honestly believe that? Sky is a moving version of the sun. Ok, story how can we hype this up more. I know lets make up the words he said to the ref and get one of the accountants or something in saying he is a lip reader. Brilliant.

Its up there with the big brother rent a quote psychologists.

Also for those interested Cole went into the dressing room after the match personally appologised to Hutton and realised a public appology last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

not a fan of ashley cole, but tbf anyone who plays competitive football will know that things can get a bit heated,tackles maybe rash but mostly unmalishous, you just have to get up and get on with it,having said that i thought cole's tackle was a bad challenge and his mouthing after makes him lucky he didnt get sent off..however this is football its a passionate game,ans he apologised both to the ref and player after the game.move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

scruff321 wrote: »
    not a fan of ashley cole, but tbf anyone who plays competitive football will know that things can get a bit heated,tackles maybe rash but mostly unmalishous, you just have to get up and get on with it,having said that i thought cole's tackle was a bad challenge and his mouthing after makes him lucky he didnt get sent off..however this is football its a passionate game,ans he apologised both to the ref and player after the game.move on.

do you really think he did that out of the goodness of his own heart? no i'd say he was made apologise to avoid the fa's rath! his reaction shows he either thaught he did nothing wrong (ye right :rolleyes: ) or was tryin to con the ref, a simple apology doesnt make up for sheer disrespect and a viciously dangerous challenge!

What do you want Grames? Ashley to write you a personal apology as well?

He said sorry personally and publically to those involved, accept it and move on. Do you want him to write a book now saying how he premediated taking hutton apart for a few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I dont think it all has to do with football when talking about cole,he is a thug.His attitude is disgracefull he has no manners and imo is a horrible person from the interviews ive watched of him and his behavior on the pitch.

Who does he think he is talking to the ref like that and also the chelsea team in general.The ref needs to give him a red and half the team a red,when it comes to abusing ref's and diving,chlsea are in a league of their own.

chelsea as a club are new money:) the players dont have manners installed in them like pool,utd and arsenal players do,the club has no history and is know forging a history as a team of cheats and abusing referees.Their players are reckless and seem to do what they like when a card situation arises

dc69 wrote: »
    I dont think it all has to do with football when talking about cole,he is a thug.His attitude is disgracefull he has no manners and imo is a horrible person from the interviews ive watched of him and his behavior on the pitch.

Who does he think he is talking to the ref like that and also the chelsea team in general.The ref needs to give him a red and half the team a red,when it comes to abusing ref's and diving,chlsea are in a league of their own.

chelsea as a club are new money:) the players dont have manners installed in them like pool,utd and arsenal players do,the club has no history and is know forging a history as a team of cheats and abusing referees.Their players are reckless and seem to do what they like when a card situation arises

Here here. I think the same rule that's in rugby should be implemented in soccer, ie: The team captain and the offending player should be the only ones who talk to the ref after any such incidents. If any other players approach the referee(s) - they should be booked. The FA need to come down harder on thugs like Ashley Cole, AND they need to show Chelski that, like the rest of the teams in the Premier League, they are NOT above the laws of the game!!

Arsenal, and United carried on with same behaviour for years, but seem to have copped on.

The Chelsea team is full of arrogant gits...............Cole,Terry,Lampard and Drogba to name but a few. I think it stems from the time when Mourinho was in charge!? And I also thing that Avram Grant is not a good manager......they need someone stronger in charge, someone who ain't afraid to put his foot down, and doesn't give a s**t about player's egos.

Someone like Sir Alex Ferguson comes to mind............?

chelsea as a club are new money the players dont have manners installed in them like pool,utd and arsenal players do,the club has no history and is know forging a history as a team of cheats and abusing referees.Their players are reckless and seem to do what they like when a card situation arises

Hillarious post. Honestly haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Arsenal have one of the worst red card records in the prem. Liverpool are up there with Chelsea, Gerrard and Carra in particularly when it comes to running down refs and as for United well we all know the manners their players have when it comes to chasing a ref half way round a pitch.

Roy Keane's tackle (united player) wasn't reckless on Haaland.
    Hamann's horro tackle (liverpool palyer) wasn't reckless on Francis against Norwich in the FA Cup or in general any tackle Momo Sissoko ever made.
    Arsenal, take your pick of any one of Paddy V's tackles.

Certainly does seem Chelsea players are the only ones that cause bad tackle to happen oh but wait as you say "new money" you sure thats what is causing your gripe no. Like I said before, get over it, move on and accept it.

I'm not defending cole here, I hate him as much as most people but lets not go the way of the Sun, that great british establishment of fine journalism, and have a witch hunt on every time something bad happens. or should players not tackle at all?

I think the same rule that's in rugby should be implemented in soccer, ie: The team captain and the offending player should be the only ones who talk to the ref after any such incidents.

I agree completely with this, I've been saying it for years. Also do you think if they did mic the refs as they do in Rugby, the captains and players knowing that everyone (tv etc...) can hear them, would it calm them down or make them rethink what they are about to say?
    Someone like Sir Alex Ferguson comes to mind............?
    The same Alex Ferguson that let his team chase a ref all the way around old trafford. The same Fergie that seems to let Rooney and Neville do and say what ever they like to refs. The same Alex Ferguson that wants the refs to outlaw any tackles on his players? The same Alex Ferguson who was the main reason why the rule of showing how many mins of added on time were to be added was brough in? The same Alex Ferguson who acts worse than any player in the premiership when a decision goes against hime?

Yeah great example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Hang on second mate, I have to defend Utd here.

Utd's player discipline has been exemplary in recent seasons...and to be fair Liverpool players carry themselves very well on the pitch too.

I think this definitely stems from the resapective managers. On Utds part it all changed from when they all surrounded D'Urso all those years ago. Fergusons realised then that was not on and we have seen a marked improvement from then on.

Of course, there are the one off incidents, like Keane - Haaland (a few years ago now) and as you say Rooney has a potty mouth, but both Chelsea and Arsenal are regularly mouthing off to opposition and refs and generally acting the maggot on pitches, which Utd don't do anymore.

A good example of Utds professionalism was the recent cup defeat to Pompey. Everything that could go wrong did and not once did a Utd player lose the head or show disrespect to the ref. It's a very conscious and controlled thing on the pitch with Utd players, which both Arsenal and Chelsea regularly don't bother with. Ferguson has obviously instilled in them that he's to do all the talking and take all the flak.

Nunu wrote: »
    both Chelsea and Arsenal are regularly mouthing off to opposition and refs and generally acting the maggot on pitches, which Utd don't do anymore.

Have you ever watched Gary Neville? As you acknowledge Rooney has a potty mouth but I'm sorry he does go off on one every time the ref gives anything against United. When he and Neville are on the pitch its every bit as bad as the Lampard Terry connection people seem so grieved about.

I agree with you on the portsmouth match, Fergie was the only one that went ballistic at the ref. Chelsea also conducted themselves very well against Barnsley when they went out but lets not talk about that because thats a good news story that we dont want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Just regarding the Barnsley match, it's not really the same. They played poorly and lost. If big decisions had gone against Chelsea, like they did for Utd against Pompey, then I would have fully expected the petulance to be there from a few players.

I have never had a problem with Lampard. I have a lot of time for him and the likes of Ballack, Essien, Wright-Philips and even Joe Cole(who I once viewed as a cheat)

For me the 'bad guys' at Chelsea are Terry, Cole, Carvalho, Drogba and to lesser extent Makalele.

At Arsenal it's Flamini(by a mile), Toure, Eboue and to a lesser extent Fabregas and Gallas.

But again have a lot of time for Clichy(excellent all round pro), Sagna, Adebayor and RVP.

For Utd I can see why fans dislike Rooney when he regularly scowls on the pitch, but he sticks out like a sore thumb when you evaluate the rest of the team...I don't agree with you at all on G. Neville:confused:

iregk wrote: »
    Oh for the love of f...

Come on do you honestly believe that? Sky is a moving version of the sun. Ok, story how can we hype this up more. I know lets make up the words he said to the ref and get one of the accountants or something in saying he is a lip reader. Brilliant.

Its up there with the big brother rent a quote psychologists.

Also for those interested Cole went into the dressing room after the match personally appologised to Hutton and realised a public appology last night.

Well, they showed the film of the incident and put subtitles on the screen. They matched exactly what the ref said to cole.... not the other way around as you seem to think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It looked like thats what the ref was saying. I don't see how/why anyone would think otherwise. Its not a conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah it was picked up by the mikes at the side of the pitch

For Utd I can see why fans dislike Rooney when he regularly scowls on the pitch, but he sticks out like a sore thumb when you evaluate the rest of the team...I don't agree with you at all on G. Neville:confused:

Thats fair enough. I guess we just have differing opinions Neville however I would tend to agree with the rest of your picks for all teams maybe Carvalho aside. Again I know what your saying about the Barnsley game and yes before I typed that I knew there were no flashpoint to speak off but just making the point thats its a match where the result went completely wrong yet they didn't hound the ref at all.

Good constructive argument well put.

As for 3rd_ech... When I wrote that comment I hadn't seen the sky piece. I tend not to watch tabloid tv. Again as I've said a number of times here, I'm not defending cole I'm defending the measured reasonable approach. It seems most people on this board though prefer the sky/sun ott hyperbole. Hang anyone that disagrees with you.

playa3 wrote: »
    Yeah it was picked up by the mikes at the side of the pitch

Scarily as I was typing that last post I saw it on setanta and they played the actual audio from the pitch side mic!

As for 3rd_ech... When I wrote that comment I hadn't seen the sky piece. I tend not to watch tabloid tv.

Ok, so you were wrong. We are all wrong sometimes :p

Again as I've said a number of times here, I'm not defending cole I'm defending the measured reasonable approach. It seems most people on this board though prefer the sky/sun ott hyperbole. Hang anyone that disagrees with you.

I think you are tarring a lot of people with one brush here. I reckon there are quite a few people here who love reading the Sun for their news. I for one take Sky with a pinch of salt with their hype, as do the majority of the people that I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Am I the only one who couldnt give a sh1te about Cole/Arsenal? OMG stop the presses- player leaves the boyhood club who made him for big bucks with someone else. Rooney did pretty much the same, yet nobody outside of the blue end of Liverpool gives a sh1t.

I dont have enough reason to hate Cole. Is he really worse than Ben Thatcher, Joey Barton etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just regarding the Barnsley match, it's not really the same. They played poorly and lost. If big decisions had gone against Chelsea, like they did for Utd against Pompey, then I would have fully expected the petulance to be there from a few players.

I have never had a problem with Lampard. I have a lot of time for him and the likes of Ballack, Essien, Wright-Philips and even Joe Cole(who I once viewed as a cheat)

For me the 'bad guys' at Chelsea are Terry, Cole, Carvalho, Drogba and to lesser extent Makalele.

At Arsenal it's Flamini(by a mile), Toure, Eboue and to a lesser extent Fabregas and Gallas.

But again have a lot of time for Clichy(excellent all round pro), Sagna, Adebayor and RVP.

I would have had Neville as one of the bad guys at utd and certainly Rooney who is one of the worst I have seen imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

One of the most ridiculous things I ever read on here, and I've read a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

**** load of fuss over nothing.

shane86 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who couldnt give a sh1te about Cole/Arsenal?

I'm sure there's a few of you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

BaZmO* wrote: »
    One of the most ridiculous things I ever read on here, and I've read a few.

lol,its true,as a team the lack class,a bunch of scumbags if you want my opinion

It really annoys me the way they approach referees,people on here are saying other teams are worse,not a chance chelski are ridiculous when it comes to interacting with refs

Here here. I think the same rule that's in rugby should be implemented in soccer, ie: The team captain and the offending player should be the only ones who talk to the ref after any such incidents. If any other players approach the referee(s) - they should be booked.

i believe they are bringin that rule in next year, but not quite in the correct way, the new rule will state that a clubs captain may approach the ref to discuss any action he was not happy with, unfortunatley i think this may give players that use the "bully tactic" (terry comes to mind-i know he is not the only one but i am using him as an example) permission to go up and intimidate the ref with no reprocussions because it is "in the rules" they will need to make sure the wording is perfect in this new rule
    I agree completely with this, I've been saying it for years. Also do you think if they did mic the refs as they do in Rugby, the captains and players knowing that everyone (tv etc...) can hear them, would it calm them down or make them rethink what they are about to say?

they tried this a few years ago unsuccessfully if you remember, it was an arsenal match and i dont think anyone told tony adams the ref had an audable mic when he screamed "CHEAT" at the ref (mick riley iirc) which is why they abandoned the idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

they tried this a few years ago unsuccessfully if you remember, it was an arsenal match and i dont think anyone told tony adams the ref had an audable mic when he screamed "CHEAT" at the ref (mick riley iirc) which is why they abandoned the idea!
    It was actually David Ellery, and Adams did call him a cheat but that's not the reason why they stopped micing them up. The fact that most of the players had potty mouths had more to do with as it didn't tie in with the "Family Sport" element to the Premiership which they were trying to promote at the time.

It was funny though, Ellery didn't have a problem with being called every swear word under the sun but as soon as Adams called him a cheat he went for the book.

• Advertisement

i believe they are bringin that rule in next year, but not quite in the correct way, the new rule will state that a clubs captain may approach the ref to discuss any action he was not happy with, unfortunatley i think this may give players that use the "bully tactic" (terry comes to mind-i know he is not the only one but i am using him as an example) permission to go up and intimidate the ref with no reprocussions because it is "in the rules" they will need to make sure the wording is perfect in this new rule

That rule should be EXACTLY the same in football as it is in rugby, otherwise it'll be a waste of time bringing it in, imo. The team captain and the offending player(s) should be the only ones to speak to the referee......? No doubt the FA(snigger)will make a complete cock-up of the whole thing. :rolleyes:

Davei141 wrote: »
    **** load of fuss over nothing.

:eek: Are you serious!!!!??? Cole could've broken the guy's leg!??

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It was funny though, Ellery didn't have a problem with being called every swear word under the sun but as soon as Adams called him a cheat he went for the book.

Fs and Ss mean nothing to refs, but the C word! :eek:

That rule should be EXACTLY the same in football as it is in rugby, otherwise it'll be a waste of time bringing it in, imo. The team captain and the offending player(s) should be the only ones to speak to the referee......? No doubt the FA(snigger)will make a complete cock-up of the whole thing. :rolleyes:

you are spot on, football can learn alot from rugby, but the fa will add in by-laws and loopholes to the rule which players can use! rediculous

Advertisement