Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon vs aluminium vs titianium (Road frames)

Options
  • 11-09-2006 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering if getting a carbon frame or aluminium road bike.

I know that carbon has a big difference in weight, but what is the long term durability of such frames? Does titianium in theory last longer than aluminium?

Does a carbon frame significantly weaken if they receive a knock?

Thanks
    pan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I can tell you a bit about aluminium. It's light, but probably heavier than comparable Ti or C frames. One thing about Al is that you'll feel the road under you, it's quite a bumpy ride with very little absorbtion of vibration. Price-wise Al suited me, it's the cheapest of the three materials. I would like a carbon fork mind you...

As for carbon and titanium, others will have to chime in on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Looks like titanium would survive pretty much anything then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

ive had a carbon frame and mostly carbon components since the start of the summer and have been delighted with the strength and absorption of the frame, ride quality is awesome but as mentioned it can be pricey, I got mine for half price on ebay, and came across a sweet carbon pinarello frame for next to nothing, so far anyway, so you might wanna take a look there. Personallly, I think the extra cost is worth it, and I'm a heavy rider so believe me its been tested fully!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. aluminium is lighter than steel or titanium but is very low in strength and ductility and has no give and won't bend, hence the harsh ride and the oversize tubing. It also has a finite life. Stresses build up over time and it will fail, it's just a case of when. The main reason it took over from steel is that it was easier to make lighter for less money and easier and cheaper to make full stop. It is cheap though and has gotten a lot better. Throw on a carbon fork and the vibration and harshness will be less.

Carbon has a higher strength point in the direction of the fibres, but it can suffer from shocks accross the grain resulting in failure. The quality of carbon manufacture can vary too. While it is good for absorbing high frequency road shock(small road surface bumps) sudden stresses can make it fail. It also feels quite "dead" when compared to other materials.

Titanium is a great frame material. It has higher strength than both steel and aluminium(by weight), but is softer than both. Unless it's very well made it can be very whippy as a frame material. You pay big money for a good un.

To add to the mix and add a bit of surprise, steel is another great frame material with a 100 yrs of experience behind it. It'll last way longer than aluminium and has the best road feel of any of the materials. It feels more alive especially on steep downhills. It's easier to repair(well you can't even repair the others to any great degree except for maybe Ti). Weightwise you can get steel frames that are very light. One I have is 20yrs old and the whole bike weighs 18 pounds in old money :)(which is lighter than a hell of a lot of Al bikes. Put a carbon fork on it and it would drop even further. It has an image problem now because few have ever rode a good one, only heavy junkers.

If you're a professional with money to burn carbon is the way to go. If you tour big distances and want something that lasts steel or Ti is an option. Get an old steel colnago off ebay and see. That said people know this and they can go for big money. Aluminium is the best bang for the buck though.

Cat insert pigeons....:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement