Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage Conversion

Options
  • 11-09-2006 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I live in a 4 bed semi with a garage. Thinking of converting the garage to an extra room in the near future.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's done this or been involved in a conversion work wise.

What are the costs likely to be ?
    The oil boiler and some piping are visible so I'm hoping to cover them up.
    The floor is about 3 or 4 inches lower so I'd like to raise that up.

All ideas and experiences appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

If you think theres any chance you might want to build a bedroom on top in the future check now that the foundations and walls are strong enough for this - we had to demolish our garage and rebuild with new foundations to facilitate 1st floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

the ceing is prolly concrete so this will need to be well insulated, this will reduce your ceilng height which may already be low, before u raise the floor:)

once u get below a certin height it is not considerd a habitable room, hopefully some other poster can help here.

Fire regs may apply to "covering up the boiler", depending on the set up

Advertisement