Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Very Own Get Fit Diary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

So, I'm in town on Saturday night, having fun with my pals, and some **** head kinda bumps into me and spills his drinks, he takes one look at me and says... "watch where your going you fat cnut!"

Dunno why it bothered me, but it did. I had been so positive about this whole weight loss and fitness thing, had thought I was doing well. Granted I haven't changed as much as I'd like given the amount of time I've been at it, but still, I ad been feeling good.
    The some toe rag comes along and drags me down.

Dunno why I'm even posting this, just needed to vent I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    So, I'm in town on Saturday night, having fun with my pals, and some **** head kinda bumps into me and spills his drinks, he takes one look at me and says... "watch where your going you fat cnut!"

Dunno why it bothered me, but it did. I had been so positive about this whole weight loss and fitness thing, had thought I was doing well. Granted I haven't changed as much as I'd like given the amount of time I've been at it, but still, I ad been feeling good.
    The some toe rag comes along and drags me down.

Dunno why I'm even posting this, just needed to vent I suppose.

Don't let some random pr!ck get you down. Keep up the exercise regimen and ignore the git.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Mrs Doyle, have a read of this:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=01F5040D813061A65E200C7ECB1276CB.hydra?id=1490871

And don't let some dickhead who (literally) can't hold his drink get you down. :)

Sleepy wrote:
    Mrs Doyle, have a read of this:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=01F5040D813061A65E200C7ECB1276CB.hydra?id=1490871

And don't let some dickhead who (literally) can't hold his drink get you down. :)
    :p Ha ha, thanks you made me smile.
    Ah I know he was just some random nobody, but it's the little things that get ya.
    Me and my sister are always arguing, and when we do she calls me a fat bitch and I'll call her half starved.... truth told there is only one dress size between us, we steal each others clothes, so I KNOW when we say those things to one another its only in the heat of an argument, it means nothing.... but when a stranger says it to you, for some reason, it seems to hold more truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    :p Ha ha, thanks you made me smile.
    Ah I know he was just some random nobody, but it's the little things that get ya.
    Me and my sister are always arguing, and when we do she calls me a fat bitch and I'll call her half starved.... truth told there is only one dress size between us, we steal each others clothes, so I KNOW when we say those things to one another its only in the heat of an argument, it means nothing.... but when a stranger says it to you, for some reason, it seems to hold more truth.

Any guy that calls a girl/lady a 'fat cnut' is no man at all and his opinion counts for nought.

• Advertisement

Just try to remember that the random idiot was saying it for the exact same reason your sister does when you're having a row - he wanted to hurt you. Most guys with a brain know that the area virtually every woman is most insecure about is her body so it's the easiest way of landing a verbal KO when trying to put one down.

And unless you're twice the size you were at the boards beers I met you at, you're very, very far from fat. And I was about the only person at that meetup that didn't have beer goggles on either (damn antibiotics :p)

Sleepy wrote:
    Just try to remember that the random idiot was saying it for the exact same reason your sister does when you're having a row - he wanted to hurt you. Most guys with a brain know that the area virtually every woman is most insecure about is her body so it's the easiest way of landing a verbal KO when trying to put one down.

And unless you're twice the size you were at the boards beers I met you at, you're very, very far from fat. And I was about the only person at that meetup that didn't have beer goggles on either (damn antibiotics :p)

Thanks, and thanks again to everyone who posted. I realise the guy was a total waste of space.
    I probably wouldn't mind as much but it was him who bumped into me, not the other way around, so there was seriously no need for him to be such a dick about it.
    But I guess that's all he is, a dick with no manners what so ever!

So you know what to do now don't you? Start lifting some weights, build up your strength and knock him into next week next time he opens his mouth to insult you. Think a guy like that would take serious offence to being floored by a girl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Keep up the good work and ignore that stupid guy - you know that I think that you have an amazing figure already in any case, be proud of yourself. I would not have a clue about fitness but I did find that swimming and walking was great for me when I was trying to get fit, but then again they are things that I love.

Hey, I had my assessment in Saturday and my instructor is a total lunatic, but that's actually going to be a good thing.
    My BMI is cool, apparently I am fairly strong, but my fat percentage is woeful, at 36%.

My instructor is my friends sister, and she has devised a tough work out for me, but she says if I go up to her every Thursday and Saturday(she only works part time), and try squeeze in another gym visit during the week, she will monitor me while I am there and make sure I stick to it.

She has given me 5 weeks (I have 6 weeks until my cousins wedding) to drop a stone and to tone up my arms, shoulders and back (I am focused on those areas as bridesmaids dress exposes them) and she reckons, with her help and a little discipline, I should be able to do it.
    So right now I am feeling a little afraid, cos she is a total nutter :), but very very motivated and positive.

• Advertisement

Has she included some resistance training in your workout or are you just going to be doing cardio?

Sleepy wrote:
    Has she included some resistance training in your workout or are you just going to be doing cardio?
    To be honest I can't remember the entire work out, I only spent 1.5 hours with her on Saturday, but I am going back tonight and my workout is filed away for me at the gym.
    It starts off with some warm up cardio. The bike, treadmill, cross trainer and stepper all feature, then I have 3 different arm toning exercises.
    I have to do 15 bicep curls, 15 (i cannot remember the name but you start with your arms by your side and lift your arms, straight out to shoulder level)and 15 tricep curls (i think that's what its called), using 2 X 3kg weights, and repeat all of that 3 times.
    Then I move to the lateral pull, and do 3 x 20 pulls.
    Then I have 20 normal sit ups, followed by 20 side sit ups X 3 times.
    The I just have to do a few stretches and just loosen myself up and I'm done.

I couldn't remember the names of my arm exercises (I'm a real gym bunny, can't ya tell? :) )

But they look like this:

Seems reasonable to a n00b like me... just don't be afraid to up the weights if the exercises start to seem easy. When they start feeling easy, they're no longer much good!

I'm sure one of the more experienced lifters can give you better advice but I know I'm right regarding upping the weights when what you're lifting doesn't feel hard to complete any more :)

Sleepy wrote:
    Seems reasonable to a n00b like me... just don't be afraid to up the weights if the exercises start to seem easy. When they start feeling easy, they're no longer much good!

I'm sure one of the more experienced lifters can give you better advice but I know I'm right regarding upping the weights when what you're lifting doesn't feel hard to complete any more :)

Oh wow! I did my new work out for the first time yesterday and I gotta tell ya, it hurt!!

I actually start out with 50 mins of cardio.

Bike - Level 7 - 10mins
    Treadmill - Walk 3 Mins 7kph - Run 2 Mins 9.5kph - total 20mins
    Stepper - Level 10 - 10mins
    Cross Trainer - Level 5 - 10mins

Then to the weights
    3kg weights

Bicep Curl - 3 x 20
    The one were ya lift your arms straight out - 3 x 15
    Frontal Lift - 3x 15

Lateral Pull - 9.5kg - 3X 20

Shoulder Press - 5kg - 3 X 15

Sit Ups - 3 X 20
    Side sit ups - 3 X 20

Now because my instructor is my friends sister she has asked all her colleagues to keep an eye on me, and I was totally stalked last night. There was no way I was gonna get away with doing anything half arsed.

Whenever it looked like I was getting tired or fed up, one of the instructors was straight in there to help me keep going.

I actually hated it, but I know its all for the greater goods.

By the time I was finished I could barely lift my arms, I am not joking, and they are still killing me today.

I know that for some of you my work out would be like a walk in the park to ya, but to me, its really tough.

50 mins of Cardio would *kill* me so there's no way I'm going to call your workout a walk in the park. :)

It worries me that you hated the workout because if you're not enjoying it you're going to find it very difficult to stick to it. What gym are you using? Is there a pool/sauna/steam room or something there that you can reward yourself with 15 minutes in at the end of your workout? I know I love hitting the sauna and plunge pool after a session.

Your arms hurting is a good thing, it means what you're doing is working. The entire principle of lifting weights is that you're micro-tearing your muscles and building them back stronger. Remember it's important to eat straight after and make sure whatever you eat is high in protein as that's what your body needs to rebuild and strengthen those muscles.

Good work on your first proper gym session. Next comes the hard bit: keeping it up!

Sleepy wrote:
    50 mins of Cardio would *kill* me so there's no way I'm going to call your workout a walk in the park. :)

It worries me that you hated the workout because if you're not enjoying it you're going to find it very difficult to stick to it. What gym are you using? Is there a pool/sauna/steam room or something there that you can reward yourself with 15 minutes in at the end of your workout? I know I love hitting the sauna and plunge pool after a session.

Your arms hurting is a good thing, it means what you're doing is working. The entire principle of lifting weights is that you're micro-tearing your muscles and building them back stronger. Remember it's important to eat straight after and make sure whatever you eat is high in protein as that's what your body needs to rebuild and strengthen those muscles.

Good work on your first proper gym session. Next comes the hard bit: keeping it up!

Ah I don't REALLY hate it, I just don't like it :)
    I was getting getting a bit tired toward the end of the cradio last night, and was dying to get started on the weights, but after 10 mins of the weights I was dying to get back to the cradio, ha ha ha :D

Ya see I'm OK at cardio. I used to do aerobics, and from Jan till now my whole work out revolved around cardio, so I guess my fitness levels must have improved as its not as hard as it used to be.

I have never ever done weights before, so it did hurt last night, and it will probably continue to hurt for the next while, but my body will adjust and I'm sure it will get easier in time. (I hope :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Mrs Doyle, would it help to drink something with a bit of energy in it during the cardio? It might carry you through the weights a little easier. Caffeine may also help.

Mrs Doyle, would it help to drink something with a bit of energy in it during the cardio? It might carry you through the weights a little easier. Caffeine may also help.
    Well I'm certainly willing to give it a go anyhow.
    Actually, you just reminded me of something. I find that when i am hungry I can't concentrate, but when I eat and then go to the gym, my food constantly repeats on me and its very uncomfortable.

Last night I ate 2.5 hours before I went to the gym, but I still felt a bit queasy when doing cardio.

Is there anything I can eat before my work out that wouldn't leave me feeling this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

I have the same bother Mrs Doyle. When i eat before i go i want to puke, especially on the rowing machine. When i dont eat before i go i just want to get out of there as fast as i can and cant be assed.

I've taking to having a slice of brown bread before i go cause i dunno what the answer is to what to eat.

And by the way i think you already look fantastic in your bebo pictures.

• Advertisement

I have the same bother Mrs Doyle. When i eat before i go i want to puke, especially on the rowing machine. When i dont eat before i go i just want to get out of there as fast as i can and cant be assed.

I've taking to having a slice of brown bread before i go cause i dunno what the answer is to what to eat.

And by the way i think you already look fantastic in your bebo pictures.

Ha, thanks very much, but I must admit, I have mastered the art of cropping out fat arms and wobbly belly's :D

Maybe I'll just opt for a bit of brown bread, toasted, and a cup of tea, when I get in from work and then, as sleepy said, I'll have something more substantial when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It is very much an individual thing and a case of try until you find something you can stomach. Some of the more common things are

flapjacks made with honey
    cereal bars (not very good for you but ultra convenient)
    banana
    energy drinks
    milk
    rice pudding
    soup

I'm sure I'll think of more in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭catherine22

hey mrs doyle, congrats on the workout, it certainly looks like it will keep you entertained and if you dont mind i think i will be stealing a few of your exercises

anyway keep up the good work

hey mrs doyle, congrats on the workout, it certainly looks like it will keep you entertained and if you dont mind i think i will be stealing a few of your exercises

anyway keep up the good work

Ha! Thanks, and go right ahead, steal away :)

Hey hey!
    So did my work out for the 2nd time last night, and I am happy to report that it didn't hurt half as much as it did the first time, and I am not hurting half as much today as I was the last day, so.... Yippee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Hey hey!
    So did my work out for the 2nd time last night, and I am happy to report that it didn't hurt half as much as it did the first time, and I am not hurting half as much today as I was the last day, so.... Yippee!

not to throw to much innuendo into one sentence, but it will only hurt you really badly the first time :rolleyes:

Remember though Ms D, if it gets to easy, dont be too afraid to list a higher weight ok, it wont kill you. but of course wait for 3 - 4 weeks before you do that.

Otherwise... keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭catherine22

Hi Mrs Doyle

I was wondering if you could post an example of your daily diet. Im struggling with my eating habits and am looking for ideas

thanks

No probs.
    Well some days I'm good and some days I'm not so good, and some weekends I am very very bad :)

Mon - Fri my diet would go something like this

Breakfast - Sultana Bran

Mid Morning break - two slices of McCambridge brown bread, toasted, with a cuppa tea.

Lunch - Maybe a baked potato and beans, or beans and brown bread, or soup, or the odd time I will have a Weight Watchers meal.

Dinner - well lately I have been having rather odd dinner habits. I often feel a bit sick if I eat before the gym, so I might come home and just have a boiled egg and cuppa tea, before I go, and then have my dinner when I get home.

I know my dinner aint the best, it usually involves whatever my mammy makes, which could be Shepard's pie, or chicken stew, or chops, mash and veg.... etc, typical Mammy dinners.

I'm a terrible cook, but I am trying to master one or two healthy dinner dishes.

Can anyone recommend some easy to make healthy dinners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kindle

healthy quick dishes that are easy to cook hmm not always the healthest but if your in a rush
    beans on wholegrain toast. the sugar free ones, protein and carbs
    scrambled eggs on wholegrain toast, good source of protein and eggs are also a good source zinc and other goodness
    to be fair the above are on the go quick fixes but they are certainly a damn site healthier that takeaway etc
    A more wholesome meal thats easy to make is veg & meat (chicken/beef) stirfry. If your keeping your carbs done you can have it on its own otherwise you can have with rice or noodles or whatever. Cooking instructions are easy dice and cook the meat take it off the wok, get a crap load of veg, lob it into the wok and then stir it around till its cooked, i like my veg crunchy so usually 5 mins works for me. Probabley takes about 30 mins all in all. Also if ya dont have any fresh veg handy you can throw in frozen veg. when it comes to cooking the best thing to do is experiment see what you like what you dont like when it comes to recipes improvise if theres something in you dont like!

• Advertisement

ALREADY POSTED THIS IN FITNESS FORUM, JUST WANNA KEEP MY LOG UP TO DATE:
    My Bum is gonna vanish, I just know it!!

OK, when I was skinnier I had no bum. Honestly, I didn't even have a little crease where my leg stopped and my bum began.
    I have always been top heavy and at my slimmest I would have been a size 8/10 on bottom and a 12 on top.
    When I put on a bit of weight one of the only positives was the fact that I finally a developed a bum, and some hips, and I looked more in proportion.

When I had my assessment in the gym a few weeks ago I made clear that one of my main goals was to tone up my arms, and back, which have become fairly flabby in recent months.

My work out is as follows:

Bike - Level 7 - 10mins
    Treadmill - Walk 3 Mins 7kph - Run 2 Mins 9.5kph - total 20mins
    Stepper - Level 10 - 10mins
    Cross Trainer - Level 5 - 10mins

Then to the weights
    3kg weights

Bicep Curl - 3 x 20
    The one were ya lift your arms straight out - 3 x 15
    Frontal Lift - 3x 15

Lateral Pull - 9.5kg - 3X 20

Shoulder Press - 5kg - 3 X 15

Sit Ups - 3 X 20
    Side sit ups - 3 X 20

Now I have to say, my legs are really toned right now, I can feel the muscle in my thighs and calf without even clenching, and I am delighted with that, but, the downside is that I can already see my hips and bum beginning to shrink and I really don't want them to.

Ideally I would slim down on top, and stay exactly as I am right now on the bottom half.

Is there anything I can do to make sure I don't lose too much weight from my bottom half?

Advertisement