Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Maths is too easy!

• 11-09-2006 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭

I'm talking particularly about Higher Level.

The whole Junior cert paper is a complete joke next to what we're doing now, and I'm barely two weeks into 5th year. :rolleyes:

Seriously, they need to make JC maths much harder. My 5th year maths book was quite a shock to me.

Of course a jump in difficulty is to be expected but Jesus Christ! :eek:

I found my A in Junior maths came quite easily. Okay, the results aren't out yet but I got an A in the mocks and the real thing went much better.

And yet I'm struggling with maths at the moment. Maybe they could include more difficult material at JC so we at least know what to expect and be able to practise the harder stuff.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I agree with you. There is a huge jump in standard between Junior Cert. and Leaving Cert. Maths, but in other subjects too. There is also a big change in how the exams are corrected.

For the Junior Cert. the object is to find as many marks as possible for a candidate. This is not the case at Leaving Cert.. Thus, '10 As in my Junior' doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of how someone will do at Leaving Cert..

I'm glad you did well in Maths at JC, it will stand as a good foundation to you. Don't forget though, that while you are lucky enough to have found it easy, there is a substantial group of people out there who struggle with Ordinary Level JC Maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

The Junior cert wasn't really made as a stepping stone for Leaving Cert. It was made so that people who won't be going onto do LC will come out of school with a qualification. So they're not going to bridge the gap just for the people who found it easier and aregoing onto LC.

And btw, don't take it for granted that you'll get an A in Maths.
    I got an A in Science in the Mocks and a B in the Junior. And I thought it went alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

Diarmsquid wrote:
    The Junior cert wasn't really made as a stepping stone for Leaving Cert. It was made so that people who won't be going onto do LC will come out of school with a qualification. So they're not going to bridge the gap just for the people who found it easier and aregoing onto LC.

And btw, don't take it for granted that you'll get an A in Maths.
    I got an A in Science in the Mocks and a B in the Junior. And I thought it went alright.

Yeah, but how many people take Higher maths and then not do the leaving cert? There could be some but I'm sure they're the minority. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

According to the SEC figures, 59,340 sat Junior Cert. (non-external candidates) in 2003 and the Leaving Cert. figure for the same group (2005) was 51,169.

Obviously we can't tell from that who did or didn't sit HL Maths and some adjustment should be made for TY, but that gives a rough fall-out rate between JC and LC of the order of 13%. Many people still don't sit the Leaving Cert. though figures are falling.

I would agree the numbers who take HL Maths and do not continue are probably low, though the fall-out level of students has much more to do with their social circumstances than their ability level.

Anyway, stick at the Maths and make sure you get your teacher to explain anything you're having difficulty with - it's during 5th year the bulk of the work can be done and it's worth sticking with the HL if you can.

Don't 5 or 6 thousand do LCA though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

oRlyYaRly wrote:

The whole Junior cert paper is a complete joke next to what we're doing now, and I'm barely two weeks into 5th year. :rolleyes:

Seriously, they need to make JC maths much harder. My 5th year maths book was quite a shock to me.

I found my A in Junior maths came quite easily. Okay, the results aren't out yet but I got an A in the mocks and the real thing went much better.

And yet I'm struggling with maths at the moment. Maybe they could include more difficult material at JC so we at least know what to expect and be able to practise the harder stuff.

thats just you, at the time I found it hard and got a D now i'm doing Ordinary for the Leaving Cert. Everyone finds some subject hard eh?

I got A's in Geography, Religion and CSPE but i don't go around saying they are piss easy

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    Don't 5 or 6 thousand do LCA though?

Yes, I took them out of the Department figures. I also took out repeat students.

you have to take into account that not all skip to 5th year and that there could be less people in the age group when added with the ones who did transition year who are older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

oRlyYaRly wrote:

Ya I totally agree, not sayin that I found hons JC easy, but I worked and got my A in the mock, (and hopefully the same on wednesday!!!) but the 5th yr maths are a joke, its a whole load of mumbo jumbo that personally I think my teacher doesnt even understand!!!! Help!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

in fairness there has to be a level of standard in which everyone wont be doing ordinary or foundation. Some people genuinely find it hard.... As an example my cousin did Ordinary Maths for the Leaving Cert two years ago, she needed a HC3 for Engineering in the south so she went to the University of Ulster in Jordanstown. She found that even her O Level Maths was better than some who had taken the higher level of Maths in the A Levels. This surely says that Irish Maths is at a high enough standard would you agree

5th year Maths Higher Level is a huge jump and should only be done by people who genuinely need it for their course / points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Jakkass wrote:

I got A's in Geography, Religion and CSPE but i don't go around saying they are piss easy

Ah now you can hardly use that as an example :)

Piste wrote:
    Ah now you can hardly use that as an example :)
    yep you're right that one should be made into a harder subject called Politics / Current Affairs and added to LC too

Yes actually that would be a good LC subject, they could do Political Science Lite for LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

oRlyYaRly wrote:

I thought the oppisite, why i dropped to Ordianry JC. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

i found junior cert honours maths rather hard actually but that was probably because i had a fairly useless teacher

and now im in 5th year still with the honours and so far i am not finding it to hard and luckily i got the best maths teacher in the school now :D

Piste wrote:
    Yes actually that would be a good LC subject, they could do Political Science Lite for LC.

definetely its one of my biggest interests personally...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I'd love to get to do Philosophy in secondary school but politics would also be quite cool.

like most of the people I know couldn't give a damn about the way our government works and the way governments are acting in the world etc, nobody wants to know anymore.... i'd say an essay like subject would rock if it was made. Although they could expand classical studies to philosophy, although Religion also studies the philosophers like Socrates, Plato etc as well.

Apprently my religion teacher this year is going to do some Philosphy stuff with us which will be interesting. My Dad said he'd like to teach Philosophy to TY students but I advised him against it seeing as most of them wouldn't give a crap.

yep philosophy is on the LC Religion course so it makes sense to start a little bit to see how people like it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

I agree that the gap between the jc and Lc in general is huuuuuuge. Half my class got A's in higher maths for the junior but only 4 sat the higher paper in the leaving. Most (including myself) dropped to ordinary. Only about 10% of the country does higher maths at Lc. At the end of the day, its all about points so theres no point(!) at spending all your time trying to learn higher maths and ignoring other subjects where u may excel.

As for philosophy as a Lc subject?? Pfft. Religion should be dropped also

phenomenon wrote:
    I agree that the gap between the jc and Lc in general is huuuuuuge. Half my class got A's in higher maths for the junior but only 4 sat the higher paper in the leaving. Most (including myself) dropped to ordinary. Only about 10% of the country does higher maths at Lc. At the end of the day, its all about points so theres no point(!) at spending all your time trying to learn higher maths and ignoring other subjects where u may excel.

It's not all about points. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

oRlyYaRly wrote:

Right, I hate to be a wet towel but don't be so cocky sayin' you got an A when the results aren't out yet. That's the type of stuff I can't stand fair enough if you think you did pretty good in it but that doesn't mean you got an A in it. Just wait until tomorrow and then you can go around blabbing what you got.

Being honest I struggled with maths a lot in 3rd year as did a fair few of my mates. I seem to be doing ok this year and don't find it to be that overwhelming but may be because I have a much better teacher now.
    oRlyYaRly wrote:

Yup, unfortunatly it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Jakkass wrote:
    in fairness there has to be a level of standard in which everyone wont be doing ordinary or foundation. Some people genuinely find it hard.... As an example my cousin did Ordinary Maths for the Leaving Cert two years ago, she needed a HC3 for Engineering in the south so she went to the University of Ulster in Jordanstown. She found that even her O Level Maths was better than some who had taken the higher level of Maths in the A Levels. This surely says that Irish Maths is at a high enough standard would you agree

5th year Maths Higher Level is a huge jump and should only be done by people who genuinely need it for their course / points

I would definetly agree that we have a high standard of maths. The GCSE maths in The UK is of a lower standard. They only test one type of maths but i cant think of the word. Actually it has been proven that the junior certificate higher level maths exam is one of the highest standard of maths for our age group in the world. I dont want to hear anything about the chinese or the japanese but its a FACT.

I do agree that this years paper was a bit easier especially paper one but still only a certain percentage are getting As( and i know that the marking scheme is amended so that the same percentage get As every year) so really there is a consistent standard of how the paper is marked. Im fairly sure that i got an A in HL maths but the only question that I found hard was the Bales question in a (C) part paper one.

oRlyYaRly wrote:

Oh it is and we all know it, no matter what poeople might say about a broad education, its all about the points.
    JSK 252 wrote:
    Actually it has been proven that the junior certificate higher level maths exam is one of the highest standard of maths for our age group in the world. I dont want to hear anything about the chinese or the japanese but its a FACT.

Can you quote a source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

that's just you.perhaps you're just very good at maths?(congratulations on the A by the way,I wish I could get that)
    I found higher level maths so hard,I actually failed my mock,as did many girls in my class (granted,we had a very bad teacher).
    I got A's in my history,geography,CSPE and business but that doesn't mean it's very easy,I'm just good at these subjects.
    JSK 252 wrote:
    the only question that I found hard was the Bales question in a (C) part paper one.
    now that you mention it,I don't know one person who got that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Hmm. I wouldn't be inclined to agree with those of you who think there is a large jump between JC and LC maths really...

The only extra thing that comes with LC is the idea of rarely working with numbers in some questions. But that was in the proofs for the junior cert?

I think the reason people may see a jump is they learnt how to do junior cert maths the way one would learn geography or business studies - learning off, reading over and over again. This will work for some subjects in the leaving cert (the above, and it's debatable for English Irish and History..), but there are subjects which are moreso about understanding, those being Maths, Applied Maths, Phyics and Chemistry (and possibly economics, but I don't do that so I can't really say..)

The problem is you can't just learn lc maths off (well, except for the proofs.). But I don't think there's any gap really, the reason people find it difficult is, to use the annoying analogy that teachers love, they're trying to put down the bricks without having any foundation in the ground..

I got my A in maths BTW. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    I got my A in maths BTW. :D
    I got my D in maths BTW!

hahahahahahahaha ....wait.

;)

• Advertisement

phenomenon wrote:

have you ever done LC Religion? You answer questions on Islam, Buddhism etc. Very worthwhile to do so, and if its a joke in your opinion, you should do it and get the A in it if you think its so easy or a "joke"

Advertisement