Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Maths is too easy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Jakkass wrote:
    so its better if youths take a blind eye to the world?
    Piste wrote:
    If people are better informed about politics and have a better understanding they wouldn't be so closed minded about political situations and wouldn't rely on the media to formulate their opinions.

FFS, does no one here understand cynicism/sarcasm???????

I think youths knowing more about politics is a ******good******(note the stars and the boldness) thing, I just don't think this government will implement it.

Was my point really that hard to comprehend!!!???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

sarcasm is hard to read in text :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

JC 2K3 wrote:
    FFS, does no one here understand cynicism/sarcasm???????

You realise that sarcasm is portrayed through tone of voice, or else through very heavy irony in text, so saying the opposite of what you mean on the internet does not come out at sarcasm, it comes accross as you saying the opposite of what you mean.

Also I wasn't getting at you when I was saying that it would be a good thing, it was in response to Fobia's [strike]trolling[/strike] statement about free speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    I'm talking particularly about Higher Level.

The whole Junior cert paper is a complete joke next to what we're doing now, and I'm barely two weeks into 5th year. :rolleyes:

Seriously, they need to make JC maths much harder. My 5th year maths book was quite a shock to me.

Of course a jump in difficulty is to be expected but Jesus Christ! :eek:

I found my A in Junior maths came quite easily. Okay, the results aren't out yet but I got an A in the mocks and the real thing went much better.

And yet I'm struggling with maths at the moment. Maybe they could include more difficult material at JC so we at least know what to expect and be able to practise the harder stuff.
    Well if you are capable of achieving an A in Junior Cert maths, achieving a good grade in higher level Leaving cert, with work and effort shouldn't be a big deal.
    To be honest with you I can't really see them changing the course just because there is some kid who is "shocked" with the change.

Home Economics is a big change.
    Art is practically a different subject.
    Its not an extension onto the JC ffs.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    There can't be a LC Politics subject that can work, because at that level it has to be objective and not that subjective, insulting to our intelligence, indoctinating, piece of shít JC subject, CSPE, and if people understood how fúcked up our political system is and how unfair the world is there'd be unrest and rebellion.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    That would promote too much free thinking for the government to allow it.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    I never said I was against the idea, I just said the government wouldn't allow it.

Dunno how my point coulda been any clearer, it was really just cynicism, not sarcasm, but OK, at least we understand each other now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Piste wrote:
    You realise that sarcasm is portrayed through tone of voice, or else through very heavy irony in text, so saying the opposite of what you mean on the internet does not come out at sarcasm, it comes accross as you saying the opposite of what you mean.

Also I wasn't getting at you when I was saying that it would be a good thing, it was in response to Fobia's [strike]trolling[/strike] statement about free speech.

Piste, why do you always have to be such an authority on everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cos she is, what with 10 As and a B! :p

Because I'm right dammit! I've seen it in other forums, people saying "duh I was being sarcastic!" when sarcasm over the internet is v. hard to do, I was only pointing it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I found leaving cert honours maths easier than junior cert honours maths....

I havent even attempted LC Honours Maths, i just dropped down straight at the start of the year to focus more on other subs

• Advertisement

Piste wrote:
    Because I'm right dammit! I've seen it in other forums, people saying "duh I was being sarcastic!" when sarcasm over the internet is v. hard to do, I was only pointing it out.
    Thing is though, it wasn't traditinal sarcasm in the "say the opposite to what you mean in a certain tone". It was cynicism. Read my posts again.....

JC 2K3 wrote:
    There can't be a LC Politics subject that can work, because at that level it has to be objective and not that subjective, insulting to our intelligence, indoctinating, piece of shít JC subject, CSPE, and if people understood how fúcked up our political system is and how unfair the world is there'd be unrest and rebellion.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    That would promote too much free thinking for the government to allow it.

Ok I appreciate that you were being cynical, but your posts really didn't come across as such, it's very easy to think you are being serious and we had no reason to believe otherwise until you told us so.

Piste wrote:

I was being sarcastic.:p

Piste wrote:
    Ok I appreciate that you were being cynical, but your posts really didn't come across as such, it's very easy to think you are being serious and we had no reason to believe otherwise until you told us so.
    You're not too argumentitive for your own good.

I was merely defending why I thought you were being serious, I'm not arguing that you weren't trying to be cynical, I was just pointing out that it didn't come across that way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

rjt wrote:
    Well, the Irish secondary education system as a whole is thought of as one of the best in the world (and gives a more broad education than most of its international counterparts). However, in terms of maths, although our course covers is indeed better than a lot of those abroad (and teaches some key concepts earlier), I believe that the curriculum is fundamentally flawed in that it is far too method-centered. This is indeed endemic throughout the world, but with the points race, and the fact that most countries have better extra-curricular maths facilities, I think it's an issue here. Many students drop in maths not because they are unable (far from it), but because they simply don't understand, and so it's all Greek to them (indeed, some of it *is* Greek :P).

From what I heard, the LC is considered a joke in other countries because it's so general and not specific others.

I've seen what the Spanish Leaving exams (in English and German) from what I could understand, and the American ones are meant to be a joke. Ireland's Leaving Cert is by far one of the best if you compare it with the other

Jakkass wrote:
    I've seen what the Spanish Leaving exams (in English and German) from what I could understand, and the American ones are meant to be a joke. Ireland's Leaving Cert is by far one of the best if you compare it with the other

America doesn't have a Lc from what I know, they just have the SAT's which test your verbal and mathematical reasoning ability. Then I think they're assessed throughout the year on all their tests, which is a better idea in my opinion because it doesn't lead to a big memory test at the end of two years hard work, aka. the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

How about making a new thread instead of being off topic in this one?

Also... how can one find LC maths easier than JC maths? That's just odd. That's like saying "yes, I find climbing mountains to be far easier than walking..." (analogy may be slightly exaggerated. LC maths doesn't involve any potential bodily harm.)

Maybe not for YOU it doesn't...

Fractals are pointy :(

(Please let there be fractals in LC maths)

• Advertisement

That's like saying "yes, I find climbing mountains to be far easier than walking..." (analogy may be slightly exaggerated. LC maths doesn't involve any potential bodily harm.)

Truth be told...I sort of do find it easier climbing mountains than walking.:)

Fractals are your friend!

Hey Liz, wanna see my Koch Curve? ;)

And... you're just strange. Mountains are bad, bad.

Mmmmmmmmm.........Fractals.

Mountains are good, especially running down them. I'd prfer to be climbing a mountain rather than walking home anyday.

But enough off topic-ness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Climbing mountains is pretty splendid, especially in places like The Alps where they have guest houses, cable-cars (sissy way out tbh though) and the likes half way up them and the ground isn't like a wet spunge like over here.

Did you even need to ask? ;-)

Jello wrote:
    Climbing mountains is pretty splendid, especially in places like The Alps where they have guest houses, cable-cars (sissy way out tbh though) and the likes half way up them and the ground isn't like a wet spunge like over here.

And our tallest mountain is piss easy to climb. ;)
    There's some good rock climbing in Ireland though especially around where I live. Tis good craic.

Christ I hate mountains. I watched one of my cousins almost fall off a cliff the other day, that was a terrifying sight.

And back to maths, so, yes, uh, the windspeed multiplied by the angle formed by his legs and the cliff equaled a disproportionate chance of dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

jezza wrote:
    Home Economics is a big change.

True, home ec is a big change, but it is comprehendable. However hons maths is a different story altogether. I found hons maths at JC Level sound neuf, between doin my homewrk and studyin the night b4 the mocks and the JC I got my A. But at this level it is sooo much more difficult. It is unnecessarily hard, totally irrevelant to todays society. It is so hard its a joke.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

disney wrote:
    It is so hard its a joke.:rolleyes:
    It's not hard for some people, it's one of the few areas in the Leaving Cert that gives some favour to those with natural intelligence. Maths is probably my easiest subject...

Advertisement