Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for Vehicle History

Options
  • 11-09-2006 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

I'm in the process of buying a 03 Skoda Suberb.

The car was previously registered in the UK.

So, the Tax Office would have information on the UK Registration of this car.

What I'm wondering is, is there any way that I can get this UK Registration by phone/online.

If I get the UK Reg number, I can run a check on the DVLA website, to see if the car had been previously stolen or written off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

get a hpi report. They're pretty good, have a mileage history too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If the car has a service history then the original UK registration mark will be in the service book. If the car has no history then walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

Anan1 wrote:
    If the car has a service history then the original UK registration mark will be in the service book. If the car has no history then walk away.

I would get a HPI report, but I have to have the UK Reg first!

Anan1 wrote:

It has no service history, but why walk away at this stage?

The car is in mint condition, it looks like genuine milage, and if I get the UK registration I can check if it has been nicked, clocked or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Any 3 year old car with no service history has either been owned by a clown or been clocked, either way best avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

zag wrote:
    It has no service history, but why walk away at this stage?

The car is in mint condition, it looks like genuine milage, and if I get the UK registration I can check if it has been nicked, clocked or whatever.

If the car has no service history then you can have no reason to believe that it has ever been serviced. A service history will also help to verify mileage. Due to its age, that car will probably never have had an MOT. It could therefore have been clocked back from 130,000 miles to 30,000 without any discrepancy being shown on the National Mileage Register check.

The car has 91,000 miles on it. I wouldn't imagine it was clocked, given the current milage and the condition of the interior. I can't understand myself why the car has no service history. I mean, it's only 3 years old ffs. I can't imagine why it's not there. The owner seems genuinely stumped.

But, the car appears to be well maintained, and I am having a mechanic to check it over. I really want to check the UK reg with the DVLA.

Once I know it's in good mechanical order, it's never been nicked, or written off, or doesn't have any outstanding money owed, I'm happy paying the 12K he is asking for it.

I take your point, Anan1 about the Service History. There is no evidence that it has ever been serviced, it's true. There is a service history, however, since it has been registered in Ireland. But, It's only been registered here about 9 months, so before that is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ok, so it has been serviced since being registered in Ireland, and you have records of that? Thats something. But I'd still be looking for a significant discount due to no earlier history. Its a little dubious that theres nothing from its time in the uk. As its only 3 years old, chances are its in fine mechanical nick. But its nice to confirm the mileage, know that its had the basic services done. Uk drivers are better than Irish drivers at holding onto service history, so that makes it extra suspicious. I'm also puzzed as to how you know it has been well maintained. "Appears to be" ? You'd need to get the mechanic to go over it thoroughly. If its got 91,000 on it, should it have had the timebelt changed at this stage? If you don't know, it could be a timebomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heck, just pull the dipstick - that'll tell you alot in itself.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This should be fairly simple.

The (Irish) Vehicle Registration Certificate (new style VLC) will have the UK reg written on it. Top right of page 2 (I think), page 1 being the front cover. Stick that into hpicheck.com.

If it's the older VLC, the VRO should be able to tell you its UK reg.

Be aware that a HPI check is not the be all and end all. Insurance claims are registered on it, but if it was in a smack that was not put through the insurance there will be no history of it. HPI may not have a record of mileage either.

Secondly, phone Skoda UK with the chassis number. Ask them which dealer sold it. Phone the dealer and ask for a copy of the service history. They should have it "on the computer".

EDIT: Quite often the dealer who sold the car from new will have put their sticker on the back window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

a lot of the service history documentation is kept with the franchise dealers, not the person that owns the car, all they get is a receipt...... Find out the reg, get an HPI report. No need to walk away at this stage.

Advertisement