Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conroe cooler

Options
  • 11-09-2006 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Gona leap to conroe the 6600 to be exact in a asus p5b deluxe 965, 2 gb DDR2 800mhz ram, wondering what cooler to get i was looking at arctic cooling freezer pro but hear good things from ninja scyth, any opinions, im gona hope to overclock heavily

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sythe Ninja FTW
    Read up on xs forums, Sythe & big typhoon gettin the highest clocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

good good ill go for that, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Ive been looking for a ninja plus, but a lot of places seem to be out of stock. Is there much difference between the plus and "non" plus?

/edit Difference is the inclusion of a 120MM fan seemingly.

Tis a mean looking object, was considering a Freezer 7Pro, but the ninja seems to be the way to go, hard to get tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Overclockers UK had them in stock last time I checked.

In my P180 with the tricool fans set to low I can overclock from 2.13 to 2.4 Ghz , processor stays at 63' under dual prime95. Thats WITHOUT even attaching a fan to the ninja!

I haven't even bothered to go any higher than that, since I haven't had time. I'd say even by attaching a really low speed fan to the ninja, like 800RPM you would easily have enough cooling for 3.2GHz +.

If overclockers had them in stock I would have bought the Thermalright Ultra-120, since it seems to destroy the ninja, both with and without a fan. Shame about the price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ive just added the ninja to my 3500+ i now hae 2.8ghz stable@ 38c 24 hour 3dmark 06 looping, i do have deltas on it htough :/

• Advertisement

Your temps probably wouldn't lose anything by going to a slower/quieter fan. The ninja shouldn't really benefit from uber-airflow, due to its really spaced otu fins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Have a look at this, maybe you'll change your mind.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/08/01/conroe_heatsink_group_test/1.html

I bought the Freezer 7 Pro in marx-computers a few weeks ago for €28. Its quite light and doesn't require any brackets.

Still waiting for the rest of my computer though, "out for delivery" means its going to get delivered today. Right? Right!?

Was gonna sell my zalman & go for ninja. Might re-think that 1 now, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

The artic cooler pro 7 and akasa cooler look fairly good...
    i didn't realise they were so cheap as well. I think i might get one to keep me going until i get wc sorted..

If you already have a CNPS 9500 no point in changing it, all those top coolers are so close to each other in performance that theres almost no difference

• Advertisement

Maybe. The 9500 is marketed as a quiet cooler, not a performance 1. There seems to be a big difference in performance between it & the ninja. Tuxy's temps were way less than mine at the same fsb and vcore. I'll just never be happy :p

The ninja is marketed as an entirely passive super quiet cooler, not a performance one :p

I think that despite the 9500 being marketed as quiet rather than powerful, it's really the other way around. SPCR didn't seem at all impressed with the amount of noise it puts out, and Tom's seemed to have their PD805 working fine at 4GHz with one, so I think the marketing had it the wrong way around.

ninja was out so i went for arctic frezzer 7 but overclockers are being a55holes about wantin utility bills i dont got :mad:

ok i may have to cancell my order and get off komplett so i was wondering if Pc 8000 RAM is compatable with mobos and will this help oc'ing, if it was pc 6400 ram i'd get 2 gb but if i was getting faster ram i'd get 1 gb, i'd prrefer not to delve into ram oc'ing and im not entirely sure about intel oc'ing(just got my head around amd :p )

also opinions on this mobo http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323504&view=detailed

Its not the best clocker from what i've read. Gigabyte clocks much better.

I'd go for 6400 ram, thats what i've got & at 355fsb (3.2Ghz) my ram still runs faster on a 4:5 divider. What speed is your goal? It'd be more of an advantage to have 2Gb even tho 2x512 clocks easier. Unles you plan on going over 400fsb it wouldn't make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I got that board, it only takes up to 800mhz ddr II ram, so anything overthat (i.e. 1066mhz ram) won't work

PogMoThoin wrote:
    What speed is your goal? .

hey if i get anywhere near you ill be happy, 3 ghz would be super :) i need a mobo from a site that will deliver soon and not overclockers as theyve annoyed me twice :mad: if you guys know one with a nice mobo, stick a url up. crossfire or sli aint essential as ive a 7950GX2

Komplett stocking Asus mobo's but only got p5b in stock. P5b is supposed to be the worst oc'in board. Very low voltages in bios only up to 2.1v vdimm. Read up on it here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=109099

You should read up on xs forums bout mobo's compatible with 7950gx2. Lot of mobo's not compatible. I know it doesn't work on my mobo.

PogMoThoin wrote:
    You should read up on xs forums bout mobo's compatible with 7950gx2. Lot of mobo's not compatible. I know it doesn't work on my mobo.

wow i would have thought it'd be compatable with all id better check it so

This is the board i'd get, available loads of places: http://www.pricegrabber.co.uk/search_getprod.php/masterid=23272847/search=asus+p5w/skd=1

Check it out yourself, its the highest oc'er: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106321

From what i've seen, every conroe board has issues of some sort. I've been waiting for weeks for a new bios to sort out the probs I'm having (cold boot probs, oc resets). I'm sorry i didn't go for that board.

• Advertisement

Double post *deleete plz*

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Psycopat wrote:
    Gona leap to conroe the 6600 to be exact in a asus p5b deluxe 965, 2 gb DDR2 800mhz ram, wondering what cooler to get i was looking at arctic cooling freezer pro but hear good things from ninja scyth, any opinions, im gona hope to overclock heavily

:rolleyes::D

2 different boards m8.........D5w Dh Deluxe is 975

PogMoThoin wrote:
    2 different boards m8.........D5w Dh Deluxe is 975

ahh i see i thought it was the same but with 2 pci-e slots. its outta the question anyway, i gotta get 1 of komplett and they dont have any in stock :(

Your fairly limited then so. Komplett don't have a great selection. Asus or Gigabyte

Can't go too far wrong with the Gigabyte DS3.

Only real fault with it is that its lowest mem divider is 1:1 so you pretty much need PC6400 if you want to do serious overclocking.

With the latest BIOS flashed onto it it's a great little board.

If you end up getting it possibly consider a better NB cooler too though, Practically scalded myself off mine last night when I touched it to see how hot it was getting. Gigabyte made a big booboo by not putting a fan on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Haha, me too!

I touched it this morning to see if the rumours were true.

where would i get an nb cooler? ive never heard of one. i was lookin at this board http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323506 and ya id get pc 6400 ram

Your gonna have to take a hack saw to the heatpipes to put a cooler on that northbridge. some1 on xs did it.
    I put a fan on my nb heatsink, brought temps down few degrees & then i replaced the thermal paste with silver5 & got a 5' drop :eek:

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Your gonna have to take a hack saw to the heatpipes to put a cooler on that northbridge. some1 on xs did it.
    I put a fan on my nb heatsink, brought temps down few degrees & then i replaced the thermal paste with silver5 & got a 5' drop :eek:

i dont think ill do that :eek: i was thinkin of gettin the 975 asus board you said, off scan.co.uk, has anyone ever used them? and do they rape on delivery and do they deliver fast?

Advertisement