Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Devimat

Options
  • 11-09-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I laid my Devimat underfloor heating in my bathroom there a while back but made a mistake as I have about 3 feet of the actual heating cable running up into the stud wall which has the timer on it. All of the (red) heating cable should be under the tiles but too late for that now.

The other side of the stud is still exposed so if there's anything I can do to remedy it from that side I have the option. I haven't been using the Devimat as I want to be sure this isn't a problem first. The manual says the heating cable runs to a max of I think 22.5 degrees celsius, but I reckon it could still be a problem as heat would dissipate quicker into the open air than the tile adhesive.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make it work effectively without paying to heat the air in the stud and also ensuring it's safe? Would ideas like covering the exposed heating cable in tinfoil, or pouring a bed of concrete around it make things better or worse?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

is that 3 feet of cable or looped cable to a height of 3 feet?

Like you I'd be happier with it covered, can do you have an open end of the cable that you can thread some housing/ducting over?
    Maybe even fill the housing with plaster/grout/adhesive afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks, yep, I can disconnect one end from the thermostat and maybe cover it in a upvc pipe and then fill that with cement or plaster, would probably do the job - good idea. Anyone had any experience with this kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

The red cable is the element. AFAIK its supposed to beunder tiles. why not stick it to the plasterboard and tile over it with some cheap tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Hi Frank

Just plaster it to the wall using floor tile glue.

Advertisement