Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop help

• 11-09-2006 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Have an old laptop
    Its a dell latitude celeron cpt. Feck all memory 128mB, Feck all hard drive 10gB!

Anyhu its been crashing lately. While in use it would suddenly show a blue screen with an error message. It shows for so little time that i cant even read the error message. Then the screen goes blank and i have to reset the computer.

Now i thought that there must be some sort of software problem so i reformatted and then reload the operating software (win 2k) and starting to surf the net to download avg etc etc and the crashing has started again! Im thinking it may be a hard drive problem and might have to replace it.

Opinions would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You probably should get some extra RAM for it while you are upgrading the hard drive. The RAM could be faulty also, try running Memtest and see if it brings up any errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

ah ruu! always to the rescue. the error message only appears for a split second but i managed to read "beginning memory dump" i think. this help?

Ill try the ram test

The ram test will take a while but if there are no errors there, try to get the error code from the message if possible. Does it happen at a certain time or just at random? A few google searches suggest updating your video card driver. Have you added any new hardware lately?

The laptop froze when it was working hard / busy. I put an old 64mB ram into it and now it seems to be working fine.

Any ideas how much a new 128mB or 256mB ram is?

Probably not a whole lot, check out Crucial and use the configurator there, put in the details of your laptop and it will bring up what RAM you need and price. Check 7dayshop.com and shop4memory.com also, they should have configurators on their site too.

• Advertisement

coolio. thanks again ruu

Advertisement