Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbour building shed next door

Options
  • 11-09-2006 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    my neighbours are building a shed next door to me , they have no planning permission , it will be beside my patio at the back of my house and I think it will block evening sunlight onto my patio .Have I any grounds to object to this shed , i presume it is within the 25m sq you can build without planning permission , I am in a rural area and there is a dividing wall .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is quite possibly exempt. Perhaps check what applications have been on the propoerty with the local council and then have an informed chat with your nrighbour. No need to be argumentative, just ask them if they can keep the height down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Hhhmm, wouldn't it be interesting if this was it!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭paulski999

You prob know http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/doeipub.nsf/0/559a098a4b8ace5580256faf00394f01/$FILE/PL5 Doing work around the House.pdf

7. Can I build a garage?
    You can build a garage, carport, shed, greenhouse, kennel
    for domestic pets etc., as long as it does not extend out in
    front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4
    metres in height, (if it has a tiled or slated pitched roof), or 3
    metres (if it has any other roof type). The floor area
    limitation for exempted development is 25 square metres.
    The structure may not be lived in, used for commercial
    purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or
    horses. Garages, sheds etc. to the side of the house must
    match the finish of the house. You cannot reduce the open
    private space, reserved exclusively for the use of the
    occupants of the house, at the side or rear of the house
    below 25 square metres.

Same happened to me, and I objected to local coco and they said that the portacabin was too big and would need planning permission, so instead the neighbour cut a 1/3 off, damm :mad: but could still have them on the "commercial purposes" they use it to store stock or if I could find a few pigeons :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 banished1

The foundation is in , but I don't know if it is within the 25m sq allowance , I did speak to my neighbours prior to this about my concerns and suggested moving where they were going to put the shed but they were not keen on that .

banished1 wrote:
    The foundation is in , but I don't know if it is within the 25m sq allowance , I did speak to my neighbours prior to this about my concerns and suggested moving where they were going to put the shed but they were not keen on that .

Can you estimate, walk it out your side? Count the bricks and work it out, now is the time to object rather than having it looming over your garden.. Send a photo to local coco with your objection... Also does the shed make the open private space, reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house, at the side or rear of the house below 25 square metres?
    You need to keep pressure on coco, and make sure you receive a acknowledgment letter if you object and follow up.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I was asking the same question the other day slightly related...is the max allowable size for the shed which by the sounds of it 25m2, considered separate if a conservatory was added later?

I've heard figures of 40m2 being mentioned for total area. Can this be 40m2 for a liveable conservatory & then consider the 25m2 for the shed separate?

I was asking the same question the other day slightly related...is the max allowable size for the shed which by the sounds of it 25m2, considered separate if a conservatory was added later?

I've heard figures of 40m2 being mentioned for total area. Can this be 40m2 for a liveable conservatory & then consider the 25m2 for the shed separate?

The way I read it that 40m2 is for Small scale domestic extensions, including conservatories and the 25m2 is for sheds. I could be wrong so talk to planning section in coco. ;)

Check the link http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/doeipub.nsf/0/559a098a4b8ace5580256faf00394f01/$FILE/PL5%20Doing%20work%20around%20the%20House.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 39,326 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

paulski999 wrote:
    The way I read it that 40m2 is for Small scale domestic extensions, including conservatories and the 25m2 is for sheds. I could be wrong so talk to planning section in coco. ;)

Check the link http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/doeipub.nsf/0/559a098a4b8ace5580256faf00394f01/$FILE/PL5%20Doing%20work%20around%20the%20House.pdf
    your right, a detached shed structure can be 25m.sq
    an extension can be up to 40m.sq over two stories. But there are other conditions aswel. such as size of garden and distance to wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

My neighbour built a shed (bought from an old farm by the looks of it) and stuck it up without planning permission. I went to him early on and suggested if he could lower the height and he refused. It was 1.5 metres over my wall and interfered with evening sun. After about a year I managed to get the council to 'notice' it and lo and behold they had to remove it. I was then nearly physically attacked as I was suspected of being involved. We are no longer on speaking terms and he has applied for planning permission for the exact same specs. I haven't objected as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

You had better object soon, as if you don't you will have no right to appeal the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

the 25sqm is the net floor area between the skirting boards.

I had a case where the neighbour objected and we were 25mm too long and too wide so the inspector siad he would go to lunch and if there was a wider SB down when he came back....
    I brought him to lunch and the builder put in 4*2 SB's while we were out- no prob:) :)

the oter point is that AFAIK, you cant build a 40 and a 25 without getting planning for the second one, u can only build 1 exempt thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ircoha wrote:
    the 25sqm is the net floor area between the skirting boards. I had a case where the neighbour objected and we were 25mm too long and too wide so the inspector siad he would go to lunch and if there was a wider SB down when he came back.... I brought him to lunch and the builder put in 4*2 SB's while we were out- no prob:) :)
    I'm not so sure about that. Councils tend to count footprint area, not floor area.

Oh, is it legal to buy lunch for a public official?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Victor wrote:
    I'm not so sure about that. Councils tend to count footprint area, not floor area. Fingal CoCo in this case did what I describe

Oh, is it legal to buy lunch for a public official?prolly not:eek:
    :eek:

Advertisement