Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student & in bad need of $$$

Options
  • 11-09-2006 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All
    I'm going back as a mature student this month after 7+ years of hard work as a PAYE worker (standard worker paying taxes etc).

In June I became unemployed and have been claiming unemployment benefit so I decided I'd use the opportunity to go back and get some further third level qualifications.

As this only happened in June I missed out on any chance to get the course I'm looking for (Marketing Degree) through the CAO system as applications for mature students had closed so I'm gonna dip into my savings and pay for myself to go to a private college.

It seems that I don't qualify for anything which is a real pain in the ass:
    - Don't qualify for maintainence grant as it's a private college
    - Don't qualify for Back to education allowance as I have to be claiming unemployment benefit for a least 12 months :eek:

the only thing I can find is that I can claim 20% of the fees back in tax relief

I'm 28, spending all my savings on going back to college, I now will have zero income but don't seem to qualify for any form of assitance....Can this be right??

If anyone could advise me if there is anything I can claim I haven't thought about please let me know

Comments

Hey,

I think that this thread would get more of a response in the Mature Students & Non-Traditional Forum.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ultanmac

IMO, you should put off third level for a year, and try to stay within the welfare system (fas/vtos courses). This way you'll qualify for the maintainence grant, Back to eduction allowance, the top up grant, and a few other yearly payements(books etc...). This is how I done it, and I get more as a student than I did in full-time employement. Fair enough it's an extra year, but you'll finish college debt-free or at least be able to enjoy your course without panicking about finances. And as well as that, you can work all the part-time hours you want without it affecting your grants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rafabenitez

Thanks for that

Would seriously be the easier (if longer) option to stay with in the welfare as you say and looks pretty appealling, certainly financially! The only problem is the FAS courses I looked at on the online site seem pretty brain numbingly boring or basic. Not sure I could stick a year or it!

Are there any reasonably advanced courses I could do and still remain within the welfare system for a year? What are the vtos courses?

thanks so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ultanmac

Vtos' range of courses kinda depends on location. Where I was (Galway) they offer everything from TV production to Interior design. But you'd be cutting it tight to get in at this time of year. Fas run things like computer maintainence and office applications (boring I know but good for job prospects).

Plus an added bonus of waiting id having a much better chance of getting exactly the course you want to do next year.

Advertisement