Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute Primary Teaching

Options
  • 11-09-2006 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

This is probably a really silly question but I'll ask it anyway.

For primary substitute teaching jobs, for people with academic qualifications besides education, is it a case of just sending in your CV or is there some other way of going about it?

Again its probably a really obvious question but I can't seem to find a good site on how to go about becoming a primary teacher.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

This is probably a really silly question but I'll ask it anyway.

For primary substitute teaching jobs, for people with academic qualifications besides education, is it a case of just sending in your CV or is there some other way of going about it?

Again its probably a really obvious question but I can't seem to find a good site on how to go about becoming a primary teacher.

Its difficult for non qualified primary teachers to get sub work now because the Dept. Education has insisted that principals hire qualified staff where possible.

It is really a case of going around to schools and telling them you want to be a teacher, that you're looking at qualification options, and handing in a CV. You might be lucky.

Theres a whole lot of information already available in this forum on how to become a primary teacher. Just go through the stickies and search it up. If you still have hassle finding info then, get back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GAA widow

the only formal qualification you need to go subbing is a C3 in honours Irish at Leaving Cert. level.

GAA widow wrote:
    the only formal qualification you need to go subbing is a C3 in honours Irish at Leaving Cert. level.

You dont actually need any qualifications at all to go subbing. Its up to the principal in question. My friend who has an A1 in pass level leaving certificate Irish subbed for a year in her local school before going to the UK to complete her PGCE. She then returned and got a permanent job immediately.

Officially the C3 honours rule applies, especially if you are registering with a subbing service or Education Centre.

Trotter wrote:
    My friend who has an A1 in pass level leaving certificate Irish subbed for a year in her local school before going to the UK to complete her PGCE. She then returned and got a permanent job immediately.

She would have needed to complete her Irish exams first of all which are held the following year. A UK trained teacher cannot get a permanent post without this qualification.
    Therefore I strongly doubt she got a permanent post immediately. Perhaps she started in a temporary post which became permanent once she got her Irish exam.

• Advertisement

GAA widow wrote:
    She would have needed to complete her Irish exams first of all which are held the following year. A UK trained teacher cannot get a permanent post without this qualification.
    Therefore I strongly doubt she got a permanent post immediately. Perhaps she started in a temporary post which became permanent once she got her Irish exam.

GAAwidow, without being personal, I really have to disagree again! :)
    (I'll still buy you a coffee anyday dont worry lol)

From what I have been told by my friend who is a permanent teacher, and 2 other principals, you can be appointed into a permanent job without having completed the SCG. You are appointed at the same pay rate pending your completion of the SCG and are given a number of years to finish it. This is known as provisional recognition.

From the INTO Website: http://www.into.ie/ROI/WorkingConditions/Recognition/ProvisionalRecognition/

" Teachers with provisional recognition will be eligible for appointment as permanent, temporary or substitute teachers in national schools and remunerated at the trained rate of pay. However, periods of appointment as permanent, temporary or substitute teachers may not involve service beyond the period for which the teacher holds provisional recognition. This period will be specified clearly in the Department's letter granting provisional recognition."
    GAA widow wrote:
    Perhaps she started in a temporary post which became permanent once she got her Irish exam.

As I mentioned, she got a permanent job immediately when she came home from the UK, as per the regulations above.

GAA widow wrote:
    Officially the C3 honours rule applies, especially if you are registering with a subbing service or Education Centre.

Nowhere on the form I filled out to join the subbing service in my local education centre did it ask did I have a C3 in Irish.

Mod Note..

As this section is used by many many potential and trainee teachers, I need everyone to please verify their information before posting it as fact. Thanks.

Trotter wrote:
    GAAwidow, without being personal, I really have to disagree again! :)
    (I'll still buy you a coffee anyday dont worry lol)

From what I have been told by my friend who is a permanent teacher, and 2 other principals, you can be appointed into a permanent job without having completed the SCG. You are appointed at the same pay rate pending your completion of the SCG and are given a number of years to finish it. This is known as provisional recognition.

You are appointed at the same PAY RATE, but you are not "officially" permanent until you get your exams - "pending your completion", i.e. provisional recognition.

I see what you mean, but what I mean is that you can still sign a permanent contract without an SCG. The only way you can cause yourself hassle is not to pass it then within 5 years.

If someone signs a department of education permanent contract, I think its safe to say its an official appointment. They cant just transfer you back to temporary for any old reason, thats why its great to have the opportunity to sign permanent contracts and still have the time to complete the SCG. Luckily my friend was able to complete it in one go the following year.

Trotter wrote:
    I see what you mean, but what I mean is that you can still sign a permanent contract without an SCG. The only way you can cause yourself hassle is not to pass it then within 5 years.

those type of contracts would be few and far between i'd say...a principal would generaaly hold on permanency I'd imagine until the exam is passed, WSEs and all that!

• Advertisement

GAA widow wrote:
    those type of contracts would be few and far between i'd say...a principal would generaaly hold on permanency I'd imagine until the exam is passed, WSEs and all that!

Maybe so. I dont know enough principals or people who have been in that situation to say what would happen generally. I can only speak for myself in saying that I know it has happened in one case Im aware of.

Advertisement