Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭mjcom4d

What I want to know is if you stop taking them do you just pile it back on again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

mjcom4d wrote: »
    What I want to know is if you stop taking them do you just pile it back on again

they suppress your appetite making you feel less hungry so there's a good chance when you come of them you would put on a few pounds if you dont watch what your diet, its all down to the person really and there lifestyle and diet if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i did 2 cycles on them since febuary. 2 and a half stone lighter,but theyre by no means miracle pills. I was in the gym on average 4 days a week, walkin the dog etc. and cleaned up my diet "pretty" good.Cutting back on the booze had more effect than anything. If I did the same without the pills I would have lost anyway, but I found just by taking them it forced me to exercise, eat better etc whereas I would have just fell off the wagon like every other time.

From my experience anyway:
    based on a full dose (2 in morning, 1 later)

Effects:after about 45 minutes a strong buzz, didnt want to sit still, full of energy. this is when I usually went to the gym. They heat you up, making you sweat quiet a bit....
    Initially a strong appetite suppresant too.The 3rd pill in the evening almost made me not hungry for dinner at first. you have to force yourself to eat, starving just wont work whether youre not hungry or not.

The effects slowly reduce as your body gets used to it (why you do cycles) but at first they are quiet intense, not for the faint hearted at all(i used to joke with friends saying they should sell them in nightclubs so you can gather the kind of buzz off them!).Sleep suffered a bit. By the end of the 2nd cycle I had built up a tolerance to them to be honest but I was still feeling a kick.

The weight loss benefits can be debated as I would have lost regardless, but for me the best benefit was the psycological boost and the extra energy. My main warning would be that they are strong, uncomfortably for some people I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

true but he might not want to lose weight, they can be used for cutting up and getting ripped also.

if you find it hard to drop your body fat these will help along with a good diet and training program.

i cant give you much feedback because iv only started taking them this week meself, im looking to cut up and lower my body fat.

go to bodybuilding.com there's plenty of feedback on it.

Note the bold ^^^

Care to explain why the OP wont loose weight while CUTTING.

Lowering body fat = Decreased body fat = decreased weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

I tried these but only lasted a day.
    Sweats/shakes/general malaise....kinda freaked me out a bit!
    Gave them to a buddy who had none of the above.
    Horses for courses etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

The only ingredient that has any effect is caffeine. It won't effect weight loss though, apart from being a placebo. Better off just buying regular caffeine pills, since they are a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

gymsoldier wrote: »
    You bought these, yet you were in two minds about taking them? :confused::confused:

Any who, I've known of a few people to use Oxyelite and loose a good bit of weight while taking them. Main complaints were the "shakes".

But why bother?

Just get your diet dialed in and you'll drop the pounds as easy.

Its a very good product to aid fat loss,a few very effective ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭hsbc

Hi - at the moment the protein i'm using is ON GS. I also use ON's Oats & Whey as sometimes i don't get time to make up something to eat and this does the trick for a few hours. I ordered MP Instant Oats today as it's a cheaper alternative to what i'm using at the moment(i'll add this to my protein shake). I also add dextrose to my PWO. Just reading on the net about Essential Amino Acids so i was thinking of ordering some off MP - is this necessary and is there stage where one could be taking too many supplements? I'd be interested to know if people use a similar combination/number of products(i love a bit of reassurance!). I'm trying pretty hard to improve my diet so maybe the extra supplements are a bit OTT... any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Note the bold ^^^

Care to explain why the OP wont loose weight while CUTTING.

Lowering body fat = Decreased body fat = decreased weight.

very true i stand corrected, to be honest i don't know what i was thinking writing that it doesn't take a genius to work that one out.

this is my first cutting phase, im at my desired weight and i was really hoping to drop my body fat and not too much weight but im currently 12 per cent body fat coming in at 71 kilios and i don't really want to be too much lighter than that if im honest.

im looking to get down to the 6 - 8 body fat mark how many pounds do you think i will have to shed in order to achieve that goal mate just out of a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

very true i stand corrected, to be honest i don't know what i was thinking writing that it doesn't take a genius to work that one out.

this is my first cutting phase, im at my desired weight and i was really hoping to drop my body fat and not too much weight but im currently 12 per cent body fat coming in at 71 kilios and i don't really want to be too much lighter than that if im honest.

im looking to get down to the 6 - 8 body fat mark how many pounds do you think i will have to shed in order to achieve that goal mate just out of a matter of interest?

Look at it this way,
    currently 71kg @ 12%, which equals 62.5kg lean mass
    If you maintain your lean mass a BF level of 6-8% is equal to a weight of 66.5kg to 68.25kg

So you need to lose 3-5kg of fat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Nice Guy - most sites will sell some soy.

My only advice would be to try a small amount first due to the variances in soy.

You could also look at whey.

However if a reduction of dairy is what you are after perhaps you can add some soy to a whey shake or vice versa.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Brother uses soy protein as he tries to limit his lactose intake (causes sinus issues I think). Think he picks it up in holland and barrett or one of those other health shops. Grab a small tub in there first I'd say.

There have been studies linking showing that soy protein can mess with hormone balances, I wouldn't take too much of the stuff. Hemp protein powder is probably a better option.

Owen_S wrote: »
    There have been studies linking showing that soy protein can mess with hormone balances, I wouldn't take too much of the stuff. Hemp protein powder is probably a better option.

I'm not too sure, but I think soy decreases testosterone levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Sangre wrote: »
    Brother uses soy protein as he tries to limit his lactose intake (causes sinus issues I think). Think he picks it up in holland and barrett or one of those other health shops. Grab a small tub in there first I'd say.

I'm the same - lactose sets off my sinus problems, and my skin.

I'd avoid buying soy protein to be honest. It doesn't mix well, no matter what you mix it in. You can even try it in hot water but still nada! I noticed on some days that I'd have ridiculous cramps 3 hours after drinking it.

I'm not too sure, but I think soy decreases testosterone levels.

Its thought that it increases the girley hormone,could be bro science?

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Its thought that it increases the girley hormone,could be bro science?

Just googled it there:

http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&source=hp&q=soy+decrease+testosterone&oq=soy+decrease+&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v2g-m2&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=932l3184l0l13l11l0l0l0l0l210l1100l7.3.1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=ef53474a7bdbc770&biw=1280&bih=909

It seems that "phytoestrogens" from plants (soy) affect hormones in our body.

Has anyone got any studies?

Mellor wrote: »
    Look at it this way,
    currently 71kg @ 12%, which equals 62.5kg lean mass
    If you maintain your lean mass a BF level of 6-8% is equal to a weight of 66.5kg to 68.25kg

So you need to lose 3-5kg of fat

cheers mate, im hitting the cardio fairly hard for the next month to co and side with my diet and the oxy pro for my cutting phase so hopefully i will start seeing results.

cheers again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm about to buy some new big tubs of whey.

Is it just me or are 5lb tubs of Kinetica and Nutrition X big whey now comparable in price (I believe Kinetica used to be more expensive?).

I'd like to buy from one of these two Irish-based companies, but have only tried Nutrition X before. I'm quite happy with it, but anyone care to convince me to go for Kinetica instead?

BTW looking around some Irish supplement websites I was surprised to see some international brands at resaonable prices for 5lb tubs too - Gaspari, Dynamatize... Thought they were pricier, for what its worth.

ive always found the bigger brands (Optimum Nutrition,Scivation, Gaspari, BSN) are cheaper and better than Nutrition X/Kinetica

Isnt nutrition x a good bit cheaper than ON whey.

• Advertisement

Isnt nutrition x a good bit cheaper than ON whey.

Yeah - I thought the 5lb tubs of Big Whey were substantially cheaper than the likes of ON.

I know MyProtein or other bulk powder suppliers are likely cheaper again, but I like supporting Irish if there's not a ridiculous difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

Does anyone know if myProtein have any price beat offers against any of the Irish retailers yet or are myProtein still cheaper than the Irish suppliers?

I've tried a couple of Irish sites but none appear to be cheaper so far.

Depends where you buy it I suppose. I def think theyre better value.

I will give you a medal if you can find me a site or a shop where ON works out better value than nx.But yeah the nutrition x is grand stuff.

Upon closer inspection, Big Whey tubs are 6lb according to their site, which may explain why I had it in my head that they were good value. Thought the last batch I bought was a bit skimpier than that admittedly, but must have been my imagination (hope its not a Cadburys Creme Egg / shrinking product size situation).

I'm about to buy some new big tubs of whey.

Is it just me or are 5lb tubs of Kinetica and Nutrition X big whey now comparable in price (I believe Kinetica used to be more expensive?).

I'd like to buy from one of these two Irish-based companies, but have only tried Nutrition X before. I'm quite happy with it, but anyone care to convince me to go for Kinetica instead?

BTW looking around some Irish supplement websites I was surprised to see some international brands at resaonable prices for 5lb tubs too - Gaspari, Dynamatize... Thought they were pricier, for what its worth.

I suppose that would depend from where you buy them. What price were both tubs?
    I saw a Kinetica tub priced at €56 last week in a store.
    I know people who rate the Kinetica taste but as we all know that is a subjective thing so definitely get a sample if possible first!

What is a reasonable price in your opinion mate?

Theyre usually give or take 5 Euro. So I think ON/Gaspari/BSN is worth it.

Also NutritionX is 73.3% protein and On is 81.6%, so theres more protein in 5lb tubs?

20.jpg
    big-whey-info.jpg

It always surprised me that they differed in amounts per 100g.
    Nutrition x 5lb big whey is 10 euro cheaper (45e)in Fighting fit Camden street,for students its 42 euro.

I suppose that would depend from where you buy them. What price were both tubs?
    I saw a Kinetica tub priced at €56 last week in a store.
    I know people who rate the Kinetica taste but as we all know that is a subjective thing so definitely get a sample if possible first!

What is a reasonable price in your opinion mate?

Well, as mentioned above I've seen Nutrition X Big Whey go for around €45 per tub (6lbs according to their site) and noticed Kinetica 5lb tubs on a couple of the Irish discount supplement sites for €43.

Agreed that the taste is subjective. I guess I was just curious in that I thought there was more of a divergence in price online - Kinetica does seem pricey in some bricks and mortar stores, alright.

As far as price goes, to me 40-50 euro is about as high as I will go for a 5lb tub.

As I mentioned earlier, I would also factor in things like the value of buying an Irish product versus making a saving by going with a UK bulk powder supplier (another subjective matter obviously).

Some of the 'Irish' sites aren't that Irish at all. I find myprotein.com to still be the best option for supplements(creatine is really cheap), but the only delivery option to ireland is DPD, who I don't trust at all.

Upon closer inspection, Big Whey tubs are 6lb according to their site, which may explain why I had it in my head that they were good value. Thought the last batch I bought was a bit skimpier than that admittedly, but must have been my imagination (hope its not a Cadburys Creme Egg / shrinking product size situation).

They use to be 6lb,the new range is 5lb in size.

• Advertisement

Black Sheep,

The shop selling at €56 did say that some of his customers buy the Kinetica elsewhere for less mid 40's.

Supporting Irish is a good idea - nothing wrong with that. If the quality is good and price is comporable then it makes sense.

Advertisement