Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

rubadub wrote: »
    It is very overpriced. Mixing normal whey with milk can mimic the slowed down absorption rates of casein. Also this means you can buy just whey in bulk, rather than a 2 small tubs of whey & casein.

It states on the container that it contains 0% Whey. :confused:

Thats because it's a pure casein protein powder.

Quinn doesn't rate whey at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    It is very overpriced. Mixing normal whey with milk can mimic the slowed down absorption rates of casein. Also this means you can buy just whey in bulk, rather than a 2 small tubs of whey & casein.
    It states on the container that it contains 0% Whey. :confused:
    Jon wrote: »
    Thats because it's a pure casein protein powder.
    Yep. The 2 most popular protein supplements are probably whey and casein. Some might contain a mixture of the 2.

Whey is quickly absorbed so people tend to take it right after a workout. While casein is slowly absorbed so people will take it at night to get a "feed" during your sleep.

But mixing regular whey with milk will also slow down absorption and so slow down absorption, but it is much cheaper than casein.

city4life wrote: »
    are there risks

and is it necessary to take two shakes a day if one has a good diet anyway

i was doing weights five times a week if possible, i'm told this may be too much? suits me cause i can concentrate on my running!!

SUPPLEMENTS are there to SUPPLEMENT your diet. If you are getting the required amounts of protein from your diet then you don't need protein shakes (unless straight after the gym).

Doing weights 5 times a week is fine (if you have the time) once your fit enough to do it and once you are splitting up all the body parts. Beginners shouldn't do it obviously as it's not necessary. They will get better gains (if strength is your goal) from starting off on the big compounds and then working from there. It obviously all depends on what your goals are.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Taking Whey prior to training yes, but you also need carbs for energy. After training get the RAM into you but will also need to take in some protein. Again on running days get carbs in before you start running

Feel like such a newb (which I'm not :P) but what is RAM?

Also I am considering taking a fish oil supplement. I know there is a difference between Omega 3,6 and 9 and I can't remember what it is. Which one is generally reccommended to take that your body doesn't normally get enough of because I know if you take too much of another it can be detrimental?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Hi all, I've never taken any supplements and I'm only starting to do weights with any kind of seriousness recently, basically I want to buy some whey and no clue what is good value and whats rip off. Can someone give me a link to a tried a tested good value seller. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

I've started taking Reflex Whey Protein.

It's actually quite tasty :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

Hi all, I've never taken any supplements and I'm only starting to do weights with any kind of seriousness recently, basically I want to buy some whey and no clue what is good value and whats rip off. Can someone give me a link to a tried a tested good value seller. Thanks

Im only new to it myself but started taking cassein protein from Tony Quinn a week ago. 1 KG cost €42.

Heard TQ is crap though (see above comments). Sorry dont know what to look out for etc

BSN Syntha 6, IDS and Optimum Nutrition whey would be my tried and tested methods that I'm satisfied with. I love BSN as after a while I find whey shakes difficult to drink so the BSN stuff is brilliant as it tastes amazing. If you like coffee, go for the mochacinno flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

BSN Syntha 6, IDS and Optimum Nutrition whey would be my tried and tested methods that I'm satisfied with. I love BSN as after a while I find whey shakes difficult to drink so the BSN stuff is brilliant as it tastes amazing. If you like coffee, go for the mochacinno flavour

Where do you buy from, I hear the ol internets is the way to go?

Obviously yeah, it's way cheaper. If you're looking to buy over 100 euro of stuff, I'd check out bodybuilding.com (great shipping and never been charged customs or anything stopped etc) otherwise I'd use universalnutrition.ie or nutritionconnection.ie but there are more as well the lads can give you here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Obviously yeah, it's way cheaper. If you're looking to buy over 100 euro of stuff, I'd check out bodybuilding.com (great shipping and never been charged customs or anything stopped etc) otherwise I'd use universalnutrition.ie or nutritionconnection.ie but there are more as well the lads can give you here.

Stuff is routinley impounded by customs coming from that site,they're checking for steroids and banned substances so you can expect delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭billyhead

Dymatize whey protein is good. High protein value per scoop and low in Carbs. I would recommend the butter toffee flavour. I am using this at the moment. Mixed with Milk and it tastes very very nice.

Degsy wrote: »
    Stuff is routinley impounded by customs coming from that site,they're checking for steroids and banned substances so you can expect delays.

I have never been delayed and I've ordered about 5 or 6 times from them in the past 8 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭maradona10

where can i buy reflex protein or is there a better brand at the moment. i used to buy it in workoutworld but its closed

ive tried eas since and didnt find it too good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

maradona10 wrote: »
    where can i buy reflex protein or is there a better brand at the moment. i used to buy it in workoutworld but its closed

I ordered from uk from this site
    http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/shopdisplaydeals.asp?dealtype=mix002&referrer=specials

Quick delivery, and free delivery with order over 200pound. Basically half the price of buying from an irish shop due to cheap sterling etc. ~Stock up with 200quid of stuff and it'll do you many months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

maradona10 wrote: »

Fitnessireland.ie

I used to use that site but it's half the price if you order in from the uk . That site doesnt seem to have lowered it's prices in line with sterling collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

I am considering starting using protein shakes for the first time - a whey protein shake on weight training days only.

Two quick questions:

1. Currently trying to lose a bit of weight - provided my diet is otherwise good, and get plenty of exercise, should there be any negative impact?

2. If training after work, is a protein shake and a banana after training (round 8o clock) sufficient for the evening, or should i still have something to eat when i get home?

floggg wrote: »
    I am considering starting using protein shakes for the first time - a whey protein shake on weight training days only.

Two quick questions:

1. Currently trying to lose a bit of weight - provided my diet is otherwise good, and get plenty of exercise, should there be any negative impact?

2. If training after work, is a protein shake and a banana after training (round 8o clock) sufficient for the evening, or should i still have something to eat when i get home?
    No negative impact, protein shakes are quite low in calories.

Again if training after work, you should have a proper dinner at some stage . Shakes are just a supplement to real food , real food is most important component of your lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

Again if training after work, you should have a proper dinner at some stage . Shakes are just a supplement to real food , real food is most important component of your lifestyle.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Also protein is more satifsying, hunger wise. i.e. if you eat it you feel more full and so are less likely to go snacking on other stuff. I find it great when cutting calories, I never go hungry. I mix it in with other foods too.

I got the black star labs strawberry flavouring and it is nice tasting. I was using nesquik which is full of sugar so this is a nice change. I add it to oats, milk & whey, uncooked. It has no sugar just sucralose I think. The taste is quite strong too which is what I read, i.e. they say 2g of powder per serving, but really 1-1.5g would be enough for my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Joint supplements; I normally use Glosamine Sulphate by optima. Simple question is; is there a better joint supplemant than Glucosomine available?

The reason I ask is that I remember reading in a newspaper a few years back, that they were making advances in the "field" of joint supplements with some new thing (possibly based on sharks) that was significantly better than what was available at the time (i.e. glucosamine) which actively fought arthritis & was great in general.

obviously they were testing back then, but I've heard nothing since, so it might have been all about nothing. If it was, is anyone aware of a generally better supplement for joints? I tend to have major problems with my knees in both lifting & training in martial arts..

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

How safe are the following supplements.

Arginine: N.O Stimulator - 3 Times a Day.

CLA: Conjucated Linoleic Acid: 3 Times a Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Just tried the Xplode II by nutrition X in berry flavour and I have to say it is disgusting!!
    Tastes bitter and chalky! Im a bit annoyed with myself more than anything as I pressumed it would be similar in taste to their Cell-X range!! How wrong was I!
    Now i've got a tub of it that im dreading using!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Just tried the Xplode II by nutrition X in berry flavour and I have to say it is disgusting!!
    Tastes bitter and chalky! Im a bit annoyed with myself more than anything as I pressumed it would be similar in taste to their Cell-X range!! How wrong was I!
    Now i've got a tub of it that im dreading using!

LOL, fella this stuff isn't for appeasing your taste buds. I've yet to come across a pre training NO inducing product that tastes anywhere near nice. They're all wretched. Remember, you're taking it for what it does, not for what it tastes like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 BusterHighman

Hey just have to mention to start by mentioning that my diet is rubbish. The only variety in it is whats on my toasted sandwiches or in my fry. :P So I figured it time to start eating properly again.

Up until about 2 years ago I was pretty good with tuna,white meats,veg etc. I also used York Mass Gainer and creatine. Cant really say how much the supplements helped.

So now I'm looking at fixing the diet and sourcing some decent store bought supplements. Anyone know of any decent supplements(tubs/bars) that can be bought in shops in and around Dublin and which shops I'd be looking at visiting. Looking at getting some whey and casein protein and some creatine, mixes would of course be handier. Cant order off the net and I've learned TQ is to be avoided so any tips?

Oh and my current protein shake is Avonmore Strawberry milk.:p

*Heads off to MMA forums to look for the cardio elements of new healthy life:D*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Jon wrote: »
    LOL, fella this stuff isn't for appeasing your taste buds. I've yet to come across a pre training NO inducing product that tastes anywhere near nice. They're all wretched. Remember, you're taking it for what it does, not for what it tastes like.

N.O explode has some tasty flavours*

*runs off before the IMB cathches him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 simoncc

Hi

does anyone know of a good supplement shop in Belfast ?

Many Thanks

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rowleyg

What supplements would people recommend? I am currently using Bio Synergy Whey Better Protein and their Creatine Plus Creatine. I am in preseason for gaelic football... Weights, Weights and more weights!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Moved from Fitness Logs and merged with Supplements thread :)

Advertisement