Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Where's the current cheapest Whey guys? Still myprotein im guessing? Thanks!
    I think it's actually pretty close between them and a few other places now, but I still went with them because they currently have an offer where you get 1KG of whey protein isolate(worth €30) free with orders above €65.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Guys what do ye make of this site: http://www.matrix-nutrition.co.uk and also the anabolic protein? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Anyone know what the craic is with the Vitargo being €999 on myprotein? :D

Thought it would drop to normal price or somthing after going through checkout but the price doesn't seem to go down. Are they actually selling it or does it charge the normal price even after you pay in checkout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thought it would drop to normal price or somthing after going through checkout but the price doesn't seem to go down. Are they actually selling it or does it charge the normal price even after you pay in checkout?

Noticed that myself when I was browsing their prices the other day.

EDIT: I got an answer on twitter "unfortunately this is because we do not have the patent to sell the product in Eire (and we can't remove it from the site) Sorry!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

NotExactly wrote: »
    Guys what do ye make of this site: http://www.matrix-nutrition.co.uk and also the anabolic protein? Thanks.

They sell below cost price and are on re-sellers at below cost price. LOL

If the wholesale price of whey is "x" and the sell for "x minus 1" then that is not a sustainable....but some how they manage it......hmmmm

See
    http://www.matrix-nutrition.co.uk/Product.aspx?5KG_Matrix_Anabolic_Protein&Code=MA11
    The ingredient list has "Micellar Casein, Whole Milk Protein," as two separate ingredients. This is not possible as they are exactly the same thing. MC=MPC=whole milk protein.

For this and various other reasons I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Brands you can trust are IMO reflex, myprotein, usn, bulkpowders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Are there any risks?

What do you guys think of this:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/217799-the-dangers-of-whey-protein/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

taking whey shakes puts your body in ketosis?? mega-****ing-lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Are there any risks?

What do you guys think of this:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/217799-the-dangers-of-whey-protein/

That is the most moronic article I've ever read. PRetty much everything he says is wrong.

How the f*ck does protein CAUSE ketosis??!

As for his other "claims" he makes no effort to quantify what constitutes high/moderate/low levels. It's not even conjecture, it's just straight up stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

That livestrong site is an abomination of poor information.

You'd want to be on some sort of drug to pull it off.

WHA! WHA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I could not even find any reference what he was refering to

this is his statement

Ketosis
    Excess whey protein can cause ketosis, a condition that Northwestern University Health Sciences describes as a state of starvation when the body produces ketones. Ketones are strenuous on the kidneys and can impair cognitive function. Ketosis can also cause dehydration, especially if you are losing a lot of water by exercising. Northwestern University Health Sciences further reports that ketosis can also cause insulin resistance and glucose intolerance, two primary factors in coronary artery disease.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/217799-the-dangers-of-whey-protein/#ixzz1VUCB9MYj

This is Northwestern University Health Sciences article

Are Low-Carb Diets the Healthful Solution?

BLOOMINGTON, MINN. – Endorsed by celebrities, restaurants and food labels, the low-carb solution is considered by many to be the answer to weight management. Yet, according to Paul Ratté, ND, associate clinic faculty at Northwestern Health Sciences University, low-carb diets are not necessarily healthful, and when used incorrectly, they may do more harm than good.

Low-carb diets become damaging when they are used improperly. While the Atkins Diet may be a short-term solution for weight loss, the danger occurs when it is used in a long-term, or in a “yo-yo” manner. “When used improperly, these diets have repercussions that are detrimental to one’s health,” says Ratté, who practices at the University’s Natural Care Center at Woodwinds in Woodbury.

The concept behind the low-carb diet is rooted in how the body reacts to sugar. Glucose, a common type of carbohydrate, is a sugar that is necessary to brain functioning. When food is consumed, insulin converts blood sugar or glucose, into usable energy. However, when there is too much sugar in the blood, it may damage the body. Excess sugar is therefore converted into fat, a less damaging substance.

“The idea of the low-carb diet is to eliminate carbohydrates like glucose from the diet. This forces the body to enter a state of ketosis, in which fat, rather than glucose, is used as energy,” says Ratté. “Ketosis is a state of stress in which your body believes that it is starving, and must turn to its reserved energy resources. I have no problem with people using ketosis as a springboard into a healthier lifestyle, but more often than not, it is used improperly and we end up manipulating our hormonal and metabolic well-being.”

Low-carb diets, like any diet that prohibits certain foods, lead people to noncompliance. “When you lower the number of carbs, you lower the insulin level, which in turn leads to weight loss. However, if you eliminate carbohydrates completely, people feel deprived.”

Furthermore, these diets ignore the fact that good and bad carbohydrates exist. “The difference between how your body handles processed and non-processed carbohydrates is significant. I suggest that people eat less refined and more whole grains,” says Ratté.

Finally, low-carb diets may have repercussions that affect overall health. “This diet has adverse effects for people who are clinically depressed,” says Ratté. General weakness and skin rashes have also been linked to the diet.

“These diets promote the idea that if you lose weight, you will be healthy. In fact, the reverse of that is true: you have to be healthy to lose weight,” says Ratté, who offers the following healthful advice to those in need of losing weight:

Never skip a meal – skipping meals leads to metabolic imbalances;
    Eat all of the time – eat small healthy meals that are high in fiber to maintain metabolism; and
    Include carbohydrates, fats and proteins into each meal.
    For additional resources on weight loss, visit http://www.nwhealth.edu/nns, a Web site focusing on natural approaches to health and wellness hosted by Northwestern Health Sciences University.

http://www.nwhealth.edu/media/healthnews/lowcarb.html

• Advertisement

Right now I'm experiencing the worst part about ordering from myprotein, waiting for that shower DPD to deliver it. Been 'out for delivery' from the local hub for 2 days now, still not here. If I don't get my protein and creatine soon I will be very angry :mad:

Owen_S wrote: »
    Right now I'm experiencing the worst part about ordering from myprotein, waiting for that shower DPD to deliver it. Been 'out for delivery' from the local hub for 2 days now, still not here. If I don't get my protein and creatine soon I will be very angry :mad:

One of the main reasons i don't use bulk suppliers. Chasing couriers is a pain in the ass.

Also people in job saying I was getting "mad powders" again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 HR X LM

Wel guys, does anyone know about BPI Sports A50 capsules? I was told they are great for building muscle very fast. Anyone heard of them? thanks

One of the main reasons i don't use bulk suppliers. Chasing couriers is a pain in the ass.

Also people in job saying I was getting "mad powders" again.

I know that feel bro, when people hear that you take creatine, they are like 'is that some kind of steroid?'

Finally arrived, the special offer they had(1KG of protein powder free with orders above €60) made it good value. Might try find a new website in future though, one that uses a different courier company. 2 days to get it from a local depot to my house is a bit too slow

How about this: http://www.optimumnutrition.com/ie/platinum-hydrowhey-p8/

product and online order

product and online order

Figure out the cost per gram of protein and compare it to a few products. You're in for a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

john_cappa wrote: »
    For this and various other reasons I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Should I definitely avoid it. One of my friends ordered the whey and said it was very good. It seems like such a good deal to miss out on?

I would avoid personally. Too many people measure quality through taste. Buy from companies you know and trust.

product and online order

Why do you want Hydrowhey?

Just buy the gold standard whey on there instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Hogan1

Anyone ever used bioforge v3 + Triazole?

Hanley wrote: »
    Figure out the cost per gram of protein and compare it to a few products. You're in for a shock.

I suppose I should ask:
    what is the best whey protein available in Ireland regardless of the price.

Why do you want Hydrowhey?

Just buy the gold standard whey on there instead.

Very simple: there less protein and less BCAA in the gold version.

Isn't it better?

Very simple: there less protein and less BCAA in the gold version.

Isn't it better?

There is more protein in the gold standard servings as the scoops aren;t the same size. The selling point of hydrowhey is the faster absorption

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Went ahead and just got some Waxy Maize Starch again as usual. Does anyone again know the craic with Vitargo price on myprotein? Does anyone else know where to get some online?

Went ahead and just got some Waxy Maize Starch again as usual. Does anyone again know the craic with Vitargo price on myprotein? Does anyone else know where to get some online?

They don't have a agreement to sell it in Ireland and can't remove it from store.

Try bulkpowders.co.uk or bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk

There is more protein in the gold standard servings as the scoops aren;t the same size. The selling point of hydrowhey is the faster absorption

Are you saying I will get less proteins because the box is smaller (gold 908g vs platinum 794g)? I was looking at the "per serving" ratio:

proteins - grams per servings:
    Gold: 24
    Platinum: 30

BCAAs - grams per servings:
    Gold:5.5
    Platinum:8.8

Are you saying I will get less proteins because the box is smaller (gold 908g vs platinum 794g)? I was looking at the "per serving" ratio:

proteins - grams per servings:
    Gold: 24
    Platinum: 30

BCAAs - grams per servings:
    Gold:5.5
    Platinum:8.8

What's the serving size for each?

Never mind - gold standard is 82% and 32 quid for a 908g tub, platinum hydro is 77% and 45 quid for 794g tub.

Unless I'm missing something huge here, you'd have to be a total idiot to buy the one with less protein, less product and spend 25% more for that pleasure.

• Advertisement

I don't know. It looks like they are cheating on the scoop size.

I imagine the platinum scoop is bigger and this is why there is more protein in it.

Advertisement