Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Try switching the one at 11 to before training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

Just to let you know, IronScience have a deal on protein this weekend - spend £100, get 2.5kg free.

You could buy 2 bags of the 5kg 80% Whey at £104.98 and get the free 2.5kg bag. Delivery would be £14.89 giving a total of £119.87 for 12.5kg (about 137 euro).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

marathonic wrote: »
    Just to let you know, IronScience have a deal on protein this weekend - spend £100, get 2.5kg free.

You could buy 2 bags of the 5kg 80% Whey at £104.98 and get the free 2.5kg bag. Delivery would be £14.89 giving a total of £119.87 for 12.5kg (about 137 euro).

How reputable is Ironscience though?

How reputable is Ironscience though?

They source their protein from one of the reputable wholesale suppliers. I remember reading a question likes your's asked directly to them from someone who previously owned a Whey supply company (but was forced out of business by the big online companies). IronScience responded with the name of the supplier and he was happy enough to order from them. I'll find the post later when I've time.

Edit: The post wasn't on boards, it was on a UK site.

Actually, if you look at their page, you'll see that they've posted the Certificate of Analysis and Independant Tests for their whey. You'll see that, for the 80% product, the percentage protein isn't actually 80% for the products (Toffee seems closest). This, however, holds true for all suppliers and IronScience are one of the few that publicise their information.

• Advertisement

Have you bought of them before?

You can understand being worried about wasting money on bulk whey with a unknown company when you can buy from known and recommended bulk suppliers like MyProtein and Bulkpowders.

Have you bought of them before?

You can understand being worried about wasting money on bulk whey with a unknown company when you can buy from known and recommended bulk suppliers like MyProtein and Bulkpowders.

I haven't used them yet as I can get delivery to Northern Ireland (work) which means I can order off MyProtein with their 5% price beat against any of IronScience products.

From another big UK board about WeightLifting:

"Hi guys, thanks for the comments, that is the current price for wpc 4.5kg and we will continue to pass on our buying power to the end user. The quality of the product is probably the highest in Europe we use Volac whey from the Netherlands which is pre drug screened. "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

A couple of points.

COA,s mean nothing. I can knock one up if ye want one?

Independent tests mean little as who knows what was sent off firstly and secondly the actual protein source cant be tested for.

Third, volac only sell unflavoured whey so IS must have a third party contract manufacturer to blend their products. It is widely known that this manufacturuer is Vydex. They are the target of an online campaign from a person, sometimes refered to as a troll, who is a pretty good detective....lol

who knows what to believe. If ye are happy to buy whey at below cost price........

A couple of points.

Independent tests mean little as who knows what was sent off firstly and secondly the actual protein source cant be tested for.

Third, volac only sell unflavoured whey so IS must have a third party contract manufacturer to blend their products. It is widely known that this manufacturuer is Vydex. They are the target of an online campaign from a person, sometimes refered to as a troll, who is a pretty good detective....lol

who knows what to believe. If ye are happy to buy whey at below cost price........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I've bought from ironscience. A few kilo sacks of whey off them and saved a bit compared to the equivalent order from myprotein.

• Advertisement

john_cappa wrote: »
    A couple of points.

Did the co-op ever test IS whey?

I know they tested a few brands like Nutrisport 90+

IS didnt exist then.

I do believe they are making protein percentage now as there are too many people testing stuff. You can bet your ass reflex, mypro etc have tested it etc.

Source of content cant easily be tested, if it can be at all?

Below cost selling.

If IronScience are selling below cost, then so are myProtein - there's only a £1 difference in price in the 5kg bags and, in addition to this, myProtein give bulk discounts if you buy multiple bags.

Fair play to these bodybuilding charities! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

John is correct about the difficulties in testing for the origin of the protein source.

There is currently no UKAS accredited laboratory in the UK that will perform such a test.

Is it a hard test to do? Apparently not overly difficult - one needs to perform a test to dna level which does exist.

They could test for the origin of the nitrogen source via an amino acid test - however this would become very confusing if a product was a mix of whey, pea, soy and collagen.

As for the pricing of products - yes there is a price below which whey is sold at a loss.

If a company deals directly with the dairy and packs the item themselves it would stand to reason that their cost should and would be lower than a company who buy off a third party manufacturer.

For the record there is nothing wrong with pea - it does not taste as nice as whey and never will but apart from that it is an ok product.

It is however along with soy about 33% the price per kilo of whey so if your product is a mix of items it should be better value than whey on it's own.

Everybody always wants a bargain but in some cases bargains are not always what they first appear to be.

NB This is a general statement and not a view aimed at a specific company or product.

What is the current price for unflavoured whey per kilo guv? Assuming you were buying a few tonne, though economies of scale dont seem to exist when buying large quantities from what i have read as demand is so high.

grimloch wrote: »
    I've bought from ironscience. A few kilo sacks of whey off them and saved a bit compared to the equivalent order from myprotein.

Could you give us a little review on what they were like to deal with.

Stuff like delivery times, quality of packaging, mixability, taste, etc.

lol i give up. As long as it tastes nice, mixes well and is well packaged then its a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

No problem.

Dispatch and delivery was swift. I can't recall exactly but I reckon I ordered saturday or sunday night and I definitely had the merchandise by wednesday.

The bags themselves for the powders are the resealable ziploc sort of affairs, pretty much the same you'd get from myprotein.

I got the unflavoured whey, tasted the same as any other unflavoured stuff I'd previously gotten from myprotein/bulkpowders. Mixed fine aswell. The oats are a little bit more chalky than oats I got from myprotein.

Pretty happy overall and saved 20 euro or so on the equivalent order from myprotein. Shipping was expensive so it only makes sense if you're putting in bigger orders.

john_cappa wrote: »
    lol i give up. As long as it tastes nice, mixes well and is well packaged then its a winner.

Never said I was going to buy it :)

Probably stick to MP or BP myself but was just curious about IS.

Hard to really ask anything else of someone who's bought from them unless they extensive inside industry knowledge. Can't exactly say "do you really think its the content as labelled?" or "did you make gains from it?" when it could be down to diet or placebo effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Ive bought of them a few times as well, it came in about 3-4 working days, you get status update emails telling you your orders processed/ready for courier pick up/ dispatched etc.
    Most orders came in bags the same as MP but the last 5kg order came in a tub.
    The whey I dont find any different from MP.
    I also got a free shaker from them too which was great! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Don Tomasino

Hey lads, I've used the search function but didn't find a specific answer to my question so here goes:

Whats your opinion on bulkpowders.co.uk's whey protein?

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/product.php/310/0/

And what flavour would you recommend?

Price has got to be at a minimum and I haven't found cheaper than this website. Cheers

Bulk powders sell good quality stuff imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭real stig

Hey guys has anyone here used reflex micro whey/know what its like for mixability, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

I have jack3d for sale if any one wants it?
    one opened and used about 12 scoops
    the other one is SEALED

bubble gum (opened)
    tropical fruit punch (UNOPENED)

it has no affect on me so if intrested please get in touch

its 25e fir the closed one
    its 20e for the opened one

OR

40e for the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

I have jack3d for sale if any one wants it?

one opened and used about 12 scoops

the other one is SEALED

bubble gum (opened)

tropical fruit punch (UNOPENED)

it has no affect on me so if intrested please get in touch

its 25e fir the closed one

its 20e for the opened one

OR

40e for the 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I just got 2 smart shakers and 5kg of 82% protein for < 75 quid. Win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Hanley wrote: »

Pssshhh i got 2 tubs of ON whey for 30 bean, im swimming in the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jugger0 wrote: »
    , im swimming in the stuff.

Is that good for lean gains,
    I want to look like an olympic swimmer not a bodybuilder who can't move,

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Hanley wrote: »

Mind if I ask where? Need to buy a bag of whey and like the look of those smart shakers - looks a very good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Mellor wrote: »
    Is that good for lean gains,
    I want to look like an olympic swimmer not a bodybuilder who can't move,

Being built like a bodybuilder is a very intentional pursuit,natural bodybuilding comps=a load of swimmers.

Advertisement