Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

27cyrix wrote: »
    I think every active man should take protein if you can not get 2gram per kilo of your body weight from food.

BCAA supports strength and power. Let you recovery fast after workout. It also preserve muscle.

Creatine is a must-have, it can increase energy level, recovery and muscle grow. Most rugby player take it.

I take whey protein, Creatine, bcaa, oats powder, dextrose and glutamine.

I was told by a trainer at my gym to avoid creatine, a friend of mine who is knows his stuff about this sort of thing said I should take creative so I'm kind of confused, what product would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Caveman1 wrote: »
    I was told by a trainer at my gym to avoid creatine, a friend of mine who is knows his stuff about this sort of thing said I should take creative so I'm kind of confused, what product would you recommend?

Welcome to the world of bodybuilding, where no one agrees on anything :D

Anyways I never heard of anyone saying avoid creatine! I would be more for it then against it. Me personally I dont use it, gives me the ****s!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Hey guys

Hoping you can help me here, I'm looking for advice on a protein shake. I'm back in they gym a few weeks, my goal is to get fitter and strengthen up for Gaelic football. What shake would be most suitable to me ?

Any advice welcome, thanks

You need a protein supplement if you plan on building muscle anyway. Ye you can get it through your diet but it's very hard both time wise and money wise, it's very convinent to have a shake with you after both the gym and GAA training make sure to take it ASAP after any sort of intense training you've got roughly a 40 min window after training when the benefits will be greater if you take it then.

I'd recommend something like a miyofusion etc but I wouldn't rush into taking creatine , if your only back a few weeks just build up gradually and then introduce creatine don't rush into stacking it.

Also BCAA's are debatable, some people say they work others don't but the Only one id go near would be a luicene heavy one but there no where near as essential as a protein and creatine supplement, even a decent pre workout like jack3d would be more essential for me , a lot of these BCAAs are in a high protein diet and a protein supplement anyway.

IMO just get a good protein supplement 1st and foremost, gradually introduce creatine and if needs be when you feel tired because training for a sport and going to the gym isn't easy get a decent pre workout like jack3d etc but make to cycle it just like creatine, protein doesn't really need to be cycled.

You need a protein supplement if you plan on building muscle anyway. Ye you can get it through your diet but it's very hard both time wise and money wise, it's very convinent to have a shake with you after both the gym and GAA training make sure to take it ASAP after any sort of intense training you've got roughly a 40 min window after training when the benefits will be greater if you take it then.

I'd recommend something like a miyofusion etc but I wouldn't rush into taking creatine , if your only back a few weeks just build up gradually and then introduce creatine don't rush into stacking it.

Also BCAA's are debatable, some people say they work others don't but the Only one id go near would be a luicene heavy one but there no where near as essential as a protein and creatine supplement, even a decent pre workout like jack3d would be more essential for me , a lot of these BCAAs are in a high protein diet and a protein supplement anyway.

IMO just get a good protein supplement 1st and foremost, gradually introduce creatine and if needs be when you feel tired because training for a sport and going to the gym isn't easy get a decent pre workout like jack3d etc but make to cycle it just like creatine, protein doesn't really need to be cycled.

How do you mean by cycle it ? If I was to buy let's say a whey protein shake and jack3d how much a day would I take of each and how often? Sorry of these are silly questions I just dont really no anything about this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

How do you mean by cycle it ? If I was to buy let's say a whey protein shake and jack3d how much a day would I take of each and how often? Sorry of these are silly questions I just dont really no anything about this stuff

you don't need to cycle it, some people think that cycling it gives you better results e.g. 8 weeks on 1 week off (i dont know if this has been proven or not). I just stay on it the whole time unless I'm not training for whatever reason then I don't take it until I start training again.

If you get a protein shake then I'd say take it once or twice a day. Most people take it after training but tbh it doesn't really matter. I take mine in the morning and after training but that's just the way I do it, no particular reason for it it's just the way my day is structured!

I don't use pre-workouts (like jack3d) so can't help you there. I know you're meant to take whatever the recommended dosage is maybe 30 minutes or so before working out.. i'd say the instructions are on the tub.

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    you don't need to cycle it, some people think that cycling it gives you better results e.g. 8 weeks on 1 week off (i dont know if this has been proven or not). I just stay on it the whole time unless I'm not training for whatever reason then I don't take it until I start training again.

If you get a protein shake then I'd say take it once or twice a day. Most people take it after training but tbh it doesn't really matter. I take mine in the morning and after training but that's just the way I do it, no particular reason for it it's just the way my day is structured!

I don't use pre-workouts (like jack3d) so can't help you there. I know you're meant to take whatever the recommended dosage is maybe 30 minutes or so before working out.. i'd say the instructions are on the tub.

Cheers thanks for the advice, would you recommend any particular protein shakes? Also if any one uses jack3d can you take it before playing a match or is it used just for working out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Cheers thanks for the advice, would you recommend any particular protein shakes? Also if any one uses jack3d can you take it before playing a match or is it used just for working out?

Nah I wouldn't recommend any shake in particular they're all the same to me just different flavours. I generally buy the one which is best value. If you want to buy online I made this post :
    jive wrote: »
    TRUED (at checkout) = 50% off MP Max Elle True Diet protein (tub version) - vanilla/choc/strawberry (saw on misc)

SAVE (at checkout) = further 10% off your order (found in this thread)

Use a referral code (at checkout) for a further 5% off (if making a new account I think - my referral code is MP401036 but feel free to use anyones, not doing this for MP points just giving people a heads up).

My order =
    3 Tubs Max Elle Choc 1.8kg
    1 Tub Max Elle Vanilla 1.8kg
    2 Pouches Impact Whey 5kg

18.8kg total for €162.61 => €8.65 / kg

Also added 2kg of creatine to bring it to €186 total, discount €120. happy days

anyone with other codes post up!

a while back. If those codes (MP401036 will definitely work but is only worth 5%) or that deal is still on then I'd go to myprotein.co.uk and buy that. If you're buying local then most places carry optimum nutrition. If I have to buy local I usually buy that because it tastes good and is a glanbia product so you can assume it's not packed with crap and is good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭27cyrix

NEW OFFER!!!!!!!!!!ONLY ONE DAY LEFT!!!!!!

50% Off True Diet: DIET (don't let the pink tub fool you, it's for men too!)
    Link:http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/mp-max-elle-true-diet
    50% Off Recovery Evo: REVO
    Link:http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/recovery-evo
    25% Off Total Peptide: TOTALP
    Link:http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/total-peptide
    25% Off True Whey: WHEY
    Link:http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/true-whey

Oh and if this is your first order, you can use my Referrers Code MP363224, you will get a 5% extra discount.

this is my order,
    7 tubs of max elle diet(Chocolate) 1.8kg about 18euro per tub!!!!!
    oYmRs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Grahmeliot

I think we all have a one thing keep in our mind that is the protein that helps the man to keep the control mind and body too.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hear hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Thinking about getting some BCAA's this week, haven't used them before - any recommendations?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Thinking about getting some BCAA's this week, haven't used them before - any recommendations?

I know above I said they are debatebul because in truth they are, lots of people claim they work and vice versa.

But Whatever one's you end up getting make sure they are leucine heavy, there's huge studies ATM to say that leucine helps stops the catabolic process in your body, which is helpful if you have to do intense cardio for any sport etc while trying to build muscle and strength.

I started stacking BCAA 6000 by Gaspri nutrition around 4 months ago when I broke my leg and I have to say I got the benifits out of them, strength gains remained the same and no muscle wastage bar the obvious legs !

I was chipping away down in the gym with the broken leg but it was mainly only to try and maintain what I had, but I recommend them big time prettyboy just even give them a quick google I'm on the phone so can't post a link!.

Cycle just means to give a supplement A break i.e one month on and one month off!

It's depends on your diet/goals/weight etc on how much protein to take just type into google and it well tell you how many grams of protein you need per a kilo of body weight, Your body can only consume a certain amount of protein anyway so make sure to work it out, it's easy but I'm on the phone so I can post links etc but just google it.

On jack3d that's a pre-workout so if you get it take it around 30 mins before training, I wouldn't take it every workout maybe once a week for a day that you know is going to be long and hard.

But make sure to cycle jack3d otherwise the effects won't be as good because your body will just build a tolerance to it and it pretty much won't work at all, I learned that last year when I first started stacking a pre workout but after a lot of re search on high caffeine stimulants its best to cycle them I mean I havnt taking jacked for around 4 weeks now, I plan on taking it Friday and I know it's going to blow the head of me lol.

Most of the people who say jack3d doesn't work are people who number 1, don't cycle it and took it continulsy and number 2 people with a lot of caffeine in their diet I.e coffee and fizzy drinks etc.

If you have a few cups of coffee etc in you throughout the day the chances are the effect of jacked won't be as strong so try stay caffeine free before taking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AndyOR

I've been looking at MyProtein.com's products for the last few days after using their protein and creatine and they seemed to have worked well so far. So just wondering has anyone tried:

http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/no2-extreme

Has a couple good reviews on the site and just want to hear peoples opinions from here. Also, any other good supplements I could add in along with my protein and creatine?

Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

anyone know any valid my protein codes for use in the next 20 mins or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

just ate my first (and hopefully last) maximuscle cyclone bar

bleh :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

anyone know any valid my protein codes for use in the next 20 mins or so?

myprotein impact whey valid till 8th (it's for the 2.5kg bags) code is WHEY

• Registered Users Posts: 49 legend1981

Just protein your looking for...have a look at todaysdeals.ie they have an offer for fsv.ie ..or is it just protein your after

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I was ordering protein, egg whites & peanu butter for my sister.

It's ordered now anyway, cheers for the code & the other input

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Liam, in the supps section on muscletalk there is a thread with codes, cant link to it as on phone, one code is 20 quid of when you spend 100, decent codes! If you combine with other codes out there then serious savings can be had!

Have not checked if they work for ROI customers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Liam, in the supps section on muscletalk there is a thread with codes, cant link to it as on phone, one code is 20 quid of when you spend 100, decent codes! If you combine with other codes out there then serious savings can be had!

Have not checked if they work for ROI customers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Started Glucosamine Sulphate tablets the other day and have a question (slightly embarrassing)

Should I be stinking the place out? I'm thinking the sulphate might be to blame. Got a lot of gas and it doesn't smell pretty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭dahat

NIMAN wrote: »
    Started Glucosamine Sulphate tablets the other day and have a question (slightly embarrassing)

Should I be stinking the place out? I'm thinking the sulphate might be to blame. Got a lot of gas and it doesn't smell pretty!!

Been taking 1200 mg a day for the last 4 months and no gas other than normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

^ Very common.

I take in tablet form as much as 6000mg Glucosamine HCL and 4800mg Chondroitin (marine based).

Maybe give the sulphate a miss and try the hcl and if it is plant based even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Orla K wrote: »
    myprotein impact whey valid till 8th (it's for the 2.5kg bags) code is WHEY

Is the 'Buy One Get One Half Price' offer really only for the 2.5kg bags?

Not really much of an offer as you're only saving 35cent compared to buying a 5kg bag at full price anyway. I suppose you can choose two different flavours though.

I'm currently trying to register for the site but their isn't an 'Ireland' option in the country drop-down list, how did you any of yous get around this?

Tried all that '000 000' thing in the UK postcode box, but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Charisteas wrote: »

Not really much of an offer as you're only saving 35cent compared to buying a 5kg bag at full price anyway. I suppose you can choose two different flavours though.

I'm currently trying to register for the site but their isn't an 'Ireland' option in the country drop-down list, how did you any of yous get around this?

You've added up the unflavoured priced, the flavoured prices are different. I've also noticed that some of the flavours are difference prices when it's the 5kg bag.

Also, I'm not sure what your on about, I remember ordering being simple with them

well. there is a Eire option for irish

and if you want buy any kinds of big pack(over 2KG). you'd better buy few empty tubs(i personally prefer the 2500ml tub for protein, and 1250ml tub for creatine and glutamine)
    i wasted a whole bag of protein this summer as the zip

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Gottalovegreys

Theres a huge price difference between supplements bought in health food shops/boots and the like of aldi. Have been using Aldi's glucosamine, and wondering if there would be a difference in quality compared to well known brands?

They are 500mg glucosamine sulphate, so I'm assuming if they say that it must be of equivalent standard to holland & barrett and the likes? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Where could I buy (this even sounds stupid to me when I'm typing it) some instant oats in a shop in Dublin?

Advertisement