Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Where could I buy (this even sounds stupid to me when I'm typing it) some instant oats in a shop in Dublin?

I wouldnt no, but for the sake of 5 mins could you not just get normal oats? Instant takes away a lot of the nutrients. But I am sure you must need the convinience of instant?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I wouldnt no, but for the sake of 5 mins could you not just get normal oats? Instant takes away a lot of the nutrients. But I am sure you must need the convinience of instant?

Don't need it, but it'd just be a bit more handy!

Don't need it, but it'd just be a bit more handy!

Shakes?

anyways http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/instant-oats

also Tesco have "Tesco Instant Hot Oat Cereal 750G"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Shakes?

Aye for shakes. Saw it on myprotein ut was trying to avoid them.

Feck it, just ordered them and a new shaker to make up for the shipping.

Shakes?

Aye for shakes. Saw it on myprotein ut was trying to avoid them.

Feck it, just ordered them and a new shaker to make up for the shipping.

I just use progressive oats (flahavans) in my shakes, blends up nicely and it goes down very well. No negatives on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

anybody want a myprotein 10% off (til end of january) im not going to use before then, so pm me, cheers

Sacred_git wrote: »
    anybody want a myprotein 10% off (til end of january) im not going to use before then, so pm me, cheers

actually dont pm me, ill post it here tonight!!

actually dont pm me, ill post it here tonight!!

10% discount code valid until end january

Myprotein.com

Code: WE955EAE9671

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AndyOR

Anybody got anything no?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CreativeChris

i'm thinking of starting taking a creatine supplement but want to ask you guys a few questions first.

I suppose a little info about me and my training would prob be helpful: I'm 6 foot, 14.5 stone and lift 3 days a week and do cardio (usually either H.I.T or uphill running) twice a week. I also play 7 a side soccer or kickbox as regularly as I can.

My diet is:
    Breakfast: Oatmeal and a handful of almonds.
    Lunch: Brown bread with Tuna, various veg, cheese, maybe a wrap or 3 egg omlette.
    Dinner: Brown rice, veg, chicken/turkey breasts.
    Snacks: Almonds, fruit, dried fruit.

Now the questions
    1) Does creatine just bulk you up in size or can it help with muscle definition? I don't want to transform my body into one of those guys that waddles around the gym with their chest and bellys sticking out and their arms kind of floating mid air. What I'm looking for is to build strength for rugby and increase muscle size and definition.

2) How much weight can creatine add in a short space of time, e.g 5-7 weeks?

3)Once I stop taking creatine, will all of my gains turn to flab?

Thanks for any and all help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

You have pre much summed up every mis conception about creatine in one post.

My advice.

Google the words "creatine article" or similar and read 5 articles and educate your self.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

U seem to be eating well and training well so why bother with creatine at all? A whey protein twice or three times a day with ur diet would show good results from my experience, as long as youre pushing yourself in the weights department.

I only wish I could stick to a diet like yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Now the questions
    1) Does creatine just bulk you up in size or can it help with muscle definition? I don't want to transform my body into one of those guys that waddles around the gym with their chest and bellys sticking out and their arms kind of floating mid air. What I'm looking for is to build strength for rugby and increase muscle size and definition.

1) You retain more water weight and look very slightly bigger, some people find they look bloated but I haven't had this problem. I will have a negligible difference on your appearance.

2) I don't know, it depends on your training. Initially in the first couple of days you will probably add 2 or 3 pounds of water weight and after that it's business as usual.

3) No. Any gains you make will remain although you might notice a slight decrease in strength once you stop taking it just as you'll notice a slight increase in strength whilst taking it. I get the feeling you think creatine is more powerful than it really is. You'll gain a couple of pounds of water, gain a couple of reps or kg on some lifts and that's the height of it. It's a good supplement but as with any legal supplement the differences, whilst somewhat noticeable, aren't massive by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

jive has hit the nail on the head there.

Creatine (full name creatine phosphate) provides the cells with more available phosphate during muscular contractions which allows for ATP to be regenerated a little bit quicker by combining ADP and the P to make ATP again.

It will only give you and extra 1-2% which might be an extra couple of kilos on a max lift and maybe an extra rep or two on a ten rep max effort.

For a lot of people, the main advantage of creatine is the water retention, as extra water in the joints can help prevent injury, particularly in combat sports and contact sports like rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

jive has hit the nail on the head there.

Creatine (full name creatine phosphate) provides the cells with more available phosphate during muscular contractions which allows for ATP to be regenerated a little bit quicker by combining ADP and the P to make ATP again.

It will only give you and extra 1-2% which might be an extra couple of kilos on a max lift and maybe an extra rep or two on a ten rep max effort.

For a lot of people, the main advantage of creatine is the water retention, as extra water in the joints can help prevent injury, particularly in combat sports and contact sports like rugby.

I was trying to explain this to a dude in the gym the other day who butted in on a conversation I was having with a friend. The guys assumption/allegations are that All 70kg of me is allegedly on steroids,I shouldn't be advising my friends to use steroids, my training is wrong because I was practising cleans, the weight was to big (60kg) & machines are far better!

I dunno how this is relevant,I just needed to share!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

Burkatron wrote: »
    I was trying to explain this to a dude in the gym the other day who butted in on a conversation I was having with a friend. The guys assumption/allegations are that All 70kg of me is allegedly on steroids,I shouldn't be advising my friends to use steroids, my training is wrong because I was practising cleans, the weight was to big (60kg) & machines are far better!

I dunno how this is relevant,I just needed to share!!

Yeah, steroids.... they're the reason my cousin ain't allowed to take Whey Concentrate - which his girlfriend think are a form of steroids!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

i'm thinking of starting taking a creatine supplement but want to ask you guys a few questions first.

I suppose a little info about me and my training would prob be helpful: I'm 6 foot, 14.5 stone and lift 3 days a week and do cardio (usually either H.I.T or uphill running) twice a week. I also play 7 a side soccer or kickbox as regularly as I can.

My diet is:
    Breakfast: Oatmeal and a handful of almonds.
    Lunch: Brown bread with Tuna, various veg, cheese, maybe a wrap or 3 egg omlette.
    Dinner: Brown rice, veg, chicken/turkey breasts.
    Snacks: Almonds, fruit, dried fruit.

Now the questions

Thanks for any and all help!

Here you go, you can thankme later:pac::pac::pac:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+to+expect+from+creatine

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

da_hambo wrote: »
    U seem to be eating well and training well so why bother with creatine at all? A whey protein twice or three times a day with ur diet would show good results from my experience, !
    Whey and creatine are two totally different things, and are pretty much unrelated. Take one, or the other, or both. What ever you feel like.
    marathonic wrote: »
    Yeah, steroids.... they're the reason my cousin ain't allowed to take Whey Concentrate - which his girlfriend think are a form of steroids!!! :D

Ironically, she likely is or was on the pill or some other contraceptive, which is a form of steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CreativeChris

Thanks for all the feedback lads. Didn't realize I was as clueless as I was. Your answers have been very useful and think I understand more about creatine now.

One final question I have is would taking creatine before and after a workout and at no other time of the day be enough? Most seem to recommend 3-4 servings a day but I feel thats a little excessive.. but then, what do I know!

5g a day is enough. When you take it doesn't matter much. Its not like pre-WO supps, or protein post they have a role to do at ingestion.
    The effects of creatine is cumulative, its builds up in your system until you reach a saturation point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Thanks for all the feedback lads. Didn't realize I was as clueless as I was. Your answers have been very useful and think I understand more about creatine now.

One final question I have is would taking creatine before and after a workout and at no other time of the day be enough? Most seem to recommend 3-4 servings a day but I feel thats a little excessive.. but then, what do I know!

That depends on your body weight really you might need over 5grams, it's simple to work out just google it.

Mellor wrote: »
    5g a day is enough. When you take it doesn't matter much. Its not like pre-WO supps, or protein post they have a role to do at ingestion.
    The effects of creatine is cumulative, its builds up in your system until you reach a saturation point.

Ye That's Why I would do a loading phase for 5 to 7 days then you can take how ever much creatine your bodyweight requires for how ever long your cycle is.

Yes you don't need to load but it's better too IMO and from my experience, the quicker you saturate the muscles with creatine the sooner you can get the benefits of it, after you load all you have to do is maintain your saturation level.

But there is a max amount you can absorb in a given time period.
    What I mean taking a double (10g) or even quadruple (20g) dose doesn't half or quarter the time it takes to reach saturation.

Its not going to do any harm or anything, so its up to each person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

Mellor wrote: »
    But there is a max amount you can absorb in a given time period.
    What I mean taking a double (10g) or even quadruple (20g) dose doesn't half or quarter the time it takes to reach saturation.

Its not going to do any harm or anything, so its up to each person.

I'll be starting creatine in the next 2-3 weeks and, from what I've read (not experience), I don't think I'll bother loading. My goals are long-term and I don't see the point in complicating things to get the full benefits a week sooner...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 G0D

Hi all, just a quick question. I'm on a weight loss program as opposed to muscle building (although I still do weights obviously).

I usually work out in the evenings, and really push myself - which of course has me in bits in the following morning. I get protein during the day, but as I don't eat in the evenings I'm not getting any after my workout.

Would a protein shake after my workout aid my recovery? And more specifically, would isolate be better for weight loss than concentrate? Would a protein shake close to bed time give me trouble sleeping? And finally, can they be mixed with skim milk or just water? Thanks.

By the way, the stuff I have is Nutrisport Whey Protein Isolate (Strawberry). Any reviews? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

G0D wrote: »
    Hi all, just a quick question. I'm on a weight loss program as opposed to muscle building (although I still do weights obviously).

I usually work out in the evenings, and really push myself - which of course has me in bits in the following morning. I get protein during the day, but as I don't eat in the evenings I'm not getting any after my workout.

Would a protein shake after my workout aid my recovery? And more specifically, would isolate be better for weight loss than concentrate? Would a protein shake close to bed time give me trouble sleeping? And finally, can they be mixed with skim milk or just water? Thanks.

By the way, the stuff I have is Nutrisport Whey Protein Isolate (Strawberry). Any reviews? Cheers.

Why don't you eat in the evenings especially after a workout? Protein supplements are exactly that! A supplement to your diet, it works much better if you're diet is spot on already.

In saying that, taking a protein drink in the evening after your workout is fine & is 100000000% better then taking in nothing at all! It will aid your recovery.

I've no experience of isolate, the only reason I'd recommend someone take it is if they have lactose intolerence issues as the lactose content is way less!
    Other then that IMO it's not worth the extra €, & even then you can add colief drops to whey concentrate & the lactose issues are greatly reduced (my experience :))

If you're starving it should help you sleep. Adding milk also slows down the absorption rate so basically means you're been fed at a slower rate through the night which is fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 FeetMagicII

Thermopure - any use in aiding fat loss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Looking for peoples reviews on usp labs oxyelitepro.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Looking for peoples reviews on usp labs oxyelitepro.

Useless like all fat burners IMO, get some caffeine pills instead or a pre workout before training and clean up your diet.

These fat burners are placebo at its best with all this termogenic bullsh*t, if your looking to cut up or just lose weight it's the training that's most important with a good diet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Useless like all fat burners IMO, get some caffeine pills instead or a pre workout before training and clean up your diet.

These fat burners are placebo at its best with all this termogenic bullsh*t, if your looking to cut up or just lose weight it's the training that's most important with a good diet.

I don't take pre training or fat burners stimulants give me panic attacks.Im happy with where i am now body wise.I wanted to hear what experience people have with this specific supplement.Alot of customers report much more frequent jaunts to the jacks much larger amounts of energy and most loose significant weight within the first week.
    Again i know cals in and out count aswell as many other factors but so many folk swear by it.. rant over

Advertisement