Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

do you seriously believe you have lost 4 lb of fat in 5 days? Has your diet changed in that period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

john_cappa wrote: »
    do you seriously believe you have lost 4 lb of fat in 5 days? Has your diet changed in that period?

4lb of fat is 14,000 calories so that's only a 2,800 daily calorie deficit... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Got a bag of bulk powders complete blend. Very good product so far. Tastes good, no stomach issues and mixes well.

I was going to buy MP Total Protein but the addition of milled flax seed puts me off. I believe that stuff becomes rancid very easily

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Beta-Ecdysterone, give me the low down on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I just stopped taking NOexplode, having taken it twice I don't really feel that it's for me, 2000% of your RDA of vitamin B just makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hi all,

Newbie here so excuse me if this topic has been addressed previously.

I am aware of and have used the following supplements: Whey Protein, Recovery, Lean Gain, BCAAs, Vitargo, Energy Gels and bars.

My question to the forum is could someone give me some guidance on when to take the above mentioned supplements in relation to the different times of a season.

Phase 1 - Pre-Season - Heavy weights and endurance
    Phase 2 - In Season - Speed, explosive power, skills
    Phase 3 - Off Season - As season ends - i am unsure as to type of training required so would welcome any advice.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks

Have you already bought these supps?

Pre season - recovery is so important especially after coming from a few weeks not training. If you must use supplements i'd recommend taking them around training ie. protein shake / recovery drink taken after session. or you can sip on it before/throughout (whichever suits...i generally stick to water while training).
    Take the BCAA's if endurance training on an empty stomach eg before a long run first thing in the morning.

In season - again around training especially after matches.

Off season - not needed just enjoy your food.

Obviously the above won't make a blind bit of difference if you don't eat right.
    Under eat - under perform and 40gram Protein + recovery shake won't help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Hi all

I am seriously confused to what supplements I should be taking. Here's what I am doing at the moment.

Mon/Wed/Fri:
    • Cycle 11 miles to work.
    • 1 hour in gym doing weights (recently did some 1rm work)
    • Cycle 11 miles home
    • 4 Mile run as soon as I get home
    Tue/Thurs:
    • 2-3 mile jog at lunch time
    • Core exercises in the gym
    Sat:
    • Will be starting to do 4-5 hour hillwalks with a weighted backpack.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

benwavner wrote: »
    I am seriously confused to what supplements I should be taking.

It really depends on your diet and goals. The four most popular supplements are usually:
    • Whey Protein - If you're not getting 1g-1.5g of protein per lb bodyweight in your current diet, look first at improving your diet and, if you're still finding it tough getting the required amount, then get some Whey Protein Concentrate. This is no better or worse than the protein you'd get from, for example, tuna or chicken. However, it can be more convenient after a gym session.
    • Multi-Vitamin - If your diet is deficient of some vitamin, or you're worried that it is, then this is a good option
    • Fish Oils - There is lots of research that suggest various advantages to taking fish oil (Omega 3). Again, you may be getting it from your diet if you eat plenty of oily fish
    • Creatine - This supposedly gives you an extra form of energy (can't remember the name) that can let you push out that last rep sometimes where you would have otherwise failed. If your goals are to build muscle and you're not stalling on the weights, this may be a good option - as all those extra reps add up to increased muscle. Again, it's not the magical supplement that some people make it out to be that causes you to gain massive amounts of muscle. It just allows you, at times, to do an extra rep on some of your excercises. This, over time, helps build more muscle.

There's a multitude of other supplements but I'd just read up more on the above and decide whether they are for you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

benwavner wrote: »
    Hi all

I am seriously confused to what supplements I should be taking. Here's what I am doing at the moment.

Mon/Wed/Fri:
    • Cycle 11 miles to work.
    • 1 hour in gym doing weights (recently did some 1rm work)
    • Cycle 11 miles home
    • 4 Mile run as soon as I get home
    Tue/Thurs:
    • 2-3 mile jog at lunch time
    • Core exercises in the gym
    Sat:
    • Will be starting to do 4-5 hour hillwalks with a weighted backpack.

Any help would be appreciated.

Depends on your goals

Weight loss - You don't really need anything just eat less.

Weight gain - Protein can help if your not getting enough but eating lots can mask many macro deficiencies imo.

Generally I think if you don't know what you should be taking or why you probably don't need anything. I don't think most people need more than those marathonic mentioned if even those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Thanks lads,

A lot of lads in work recommend crazy looking stuff like Jack3D and some shotgun stuff etc etc.

The problem is, with so many people telling you that you should use this or that, then the next person tells you that the previous guy was full of crap......mind boggling.

Im trying to slim down but pack on muscle......sure isnt everyone :p

Il start with the diet....I was looking at some guy called Kris Gethins 12 week diet the other day,was a bit nuts though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Well jack3d is definitely powerful stuff but its way too powerful for me, makes me feel extremely depressed and basically cant move for hours afterwards. But its like cocaine when you're hitting the weights.

marathonic wrote: »
    [*]Creatine - This supposedly gives you an extra form of energy (can't remember the name).

Glycogen I'd say.

Dermighty wrote: »
    marathonic wrote: »
    [*]Creatine - This supposedly gives you an extra form of energy (can't remember the name).

Glycogen I'd say.

No, it's ATP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

From todaysdeals.ie
    €20 for €40 Spend on Vitamins, Health & Sports Supplements at FSV.ie - Irelands Number 1 Supplements Retailer

connundrum wrote: »

Highly recommend this company(FSV). Nice to deal with and fast delivery.

boomtown84 wrote: »

Highly recommend this company(FSV). Nice to deal with and fast delivery.

Did you ever use one of the done deals offers?

Not yet, bought on Fri, the instruction says not to use for 2 working days (processing time). Will try Mon/Tues and will post back with result.

If you mean the 'today's deals' then yes. I got the last one for FSV. 60 quid for 5kg Kinetica Whey and 500g creatine mono. Great deal.

Not yet, bought on Fri, the instruction says not to use for 2 working days (processing time). Will try Mon/Tues and will post back with result.
    If you mean the 'today's deals' then yes. I got the last one for FSV. 60 quid for 5kg Kinetica Whey and 500g creatine mono. Great deal.

So I just buy today and wait till wednesday to order?

Seems to be it. I will call em tomorrow and see if I can call over to the shop. Always did prefer B&M purchasing

• Advertisement

No, it's ATP

Yeah you're right, I was going to say ATP but strictly speaking creatine only facilitates ATP production rather than containing ATP and Creatine promotes extra Glycogen storage. so it's a bit of a grey area I think :P

Seems to be it. I will call em tomorrow and see if I can call over to the shop. Always did prefer B&M purchasing

Where you able to use your voucher?

Tried ringing them this morning but no answer

Where you able to use your voucher?

Tried ringing them this morning but no answer

Tried calling this morning too with no joy. Emailed todaysdeals.ie to query this and Brian from the site said that someone would be on to me asap.

An hour later Richard from fsv.ie called, confirmed the voucher and took the order. Am expecting delivery on Thurs. Will report back when complete.

Gummy Panda - I've pm'd you that chap's mobile number if you want to call him.

Tried calling this morning too with no joy. Emailed todaysdeals.ie to query this and Brian from the site said that someone would be on to me asap.

An hour later Richard from fsv.ie called, confirmed the voucher and took the order. Am expecting delivery on Thurs. Will report back when complete.

Gummy Panda - I've pm'd you that chap's mobile number if you want to call him.

Sorry I forgot to reply. I got my Kinetica whey and a free shaker this morning from fsv.ie

Vanilla Kinetica whey is not bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

Looking to buy a 5kg bag of whey. Can anyone recommend a flavour with myprotein as i've yet to use them. Is vanilla alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Ice87 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a 5kg bag of whey. Can anyone recommend a flavour with myprotein as i've yet to use them. Is vanilla alright?

Meh, I tried samples of alot of them, I would go for strawberry or choc, toffee wasn't bad as far as I remember(but has gluten in it) mocha tasted like the buttercream icing on a coffee cake. Raspberry one tasted like raspberries. The rest I don't really remember.

Probably Strawberry or banana.

Choc smooth is too sweet, Mocha was horrible and choc coconut tastes like toffee with a coconut after taste. Though their flavouring can be a mixed bag as sometimes its either too weak or too strong.

Try bulkpowders.co.uk they're not bad either but their complete blend choc cookie is lovely and a great blend

I love cookies & cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Ive tried myprotein banan and strawberry cream, they are both nice but banana is the nicer.

On that note does anyone know how many ml are in a 25g scoop from myprotein ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

It's not a good idea to buy 5KG of an unfamiliar flavour, try get some samples if you can. Chocolate is a safe bet, the vanilla is OK, and the chocolate mint, mocha and banoffee flavours are delicious in shakes, but not so great in other recipes(in oatmeal, bars etc.).
    Spunge wrote: »
    Ive tried myprotein banan and strawberry cream, they are both nice but banana is the nicer.

On that note does anyone know how many ml are in a 25g scoop from myprotein ?

As far as I know, 70ml, since that's the size of the large scoop sold on their website.

Advertisement