Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sharkey 25 wrote: »
    As far as I know , once your muscles are saturated you only need 3 to 5 g a day to keep them saturated. You can take it twice a day but I don't think there is any point in exceeding 5 g a day. What is your reason for skipping the weekend? Im not sure about your first question

Thanks Sharkey.
    I skip it because I don't have it at home and I generally don't take anything on weekends anyway as I only really ever go for a spin on the bike.

cheers
    rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Thanks Sharkey.
    I skip it because I don't have it at home and I generally don't take anything on weekends anyway as I only really ever go for a spin on the bike.

cheers
    rob

Could you not fill a small container (maybe a tablet container or something) with it for the weekends? I'm not too sure whether taking a break from creatine at the weekends negates the impact in any way but it's just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

marathonic wrote: »
    Could you not fill a small container (maybe a tablet container or something) with it for the weekends? I'm not too sure whether taking a break from creatine at the weekends negates the impact in any way but it's just a thought.

Skipping the week end is fine. Same as it takes a few weeks to "saturate" the muscle, it would also take a longer period than two days to see a significant reduction in creatine levels. Missing a day or two makes no difference .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,352 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Thanks Sharkey.

cheers
    rob

The benefit of creatine is cumulative. Taking it near a workout doesn't benefit that workout, at the same time not workign out that day is not a reason.

It won't do any harm to skip it. But you'll just be slower to reach saturation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone ordering in that MP 50% off sale, do it from the products page. I ordered a box of fruit & nut oats & whey bars. Got the default peanut butter flavour :(

I checked muscletalk and seems to be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Sweet Ghandi's tits! What the hell is going on with MyProtein's site? 4KG of Whey Isolate is now €75?? It was 58.99 when I ordered on the 23rd of February!!

Dathai wrote: »
    Sweet Ghandi's tits! What the hell is going on with MyProtein's site? 4KG of Whey Isolate is now €75?? It was 58.99 when I ordered on the 23rd of February!!

Dairy prices went up start of march.

Bulkpowders are releasing a flavoured isolate if you buy flavoured. Maybe wait for that as you won't pay VAT on top of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Was there an announcement from MyProtein about the whey increase for this year? Had a look at their site there and there doesn't seem to be anything about the increase.

Dathai wrote: »
    Was there an announcement from MyProtein about the whey increase for this year? Had a look at their site there and there doesn't seem to be anything about the increase.

One of the bulk supplier reps said isolate had gone up £2 a kilo on uk-muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

the price of protein and amino acids has gone up again significantly. Its on a one way track... leucine is a prime example - gone up 100% over the last 3 months! Time to stock pile I think :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Del007

I've been using optimum nutrition 100% whey gold standard for a while now. I mix it with porridge and find it great.

Are there any alternatives out there? it's the cost that's putting me off buying more.

Cheers

Myprotein.com - Impact whey for a straight forward WPC or Impact deluxe for a WPC/WPI blend like ON.

Use my code MP129507 and get 5% off first order

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

tri-creatine malate - has anyone any experiences of taking this and is it a better form of creatine than monohydrate? they guy in the shop said that you won't have the bloatedness from water retention that monohydrate gives you.

just not sure if he's being genuine or flogging an inferior product.

I've no prior experience of taking creatine so not sure what to expect from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

tri-creatine malate - has anyone any experiences of taking this and is it a better form of creatine than monohydrate? they guy in the shop said that you won't have the bloatedness from water retention that monohydrate gives you.

just not sure if he's being genuine or flogging an inferior product.

I've no prior experience of taking creatine so not sure what to expect from it

to be honest i think its the bloat that makes creatine work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Thread should be renamed to myprotein , seems the only supplement company acceptable/recommended here.

Thread should be renamed to myprotein , seems the only supplement company acceptable/recommended here.
    Sells he same products as everyone else for far cheaper. So why not.

I refuse to pay some upmarket brand name 50% extra to cover thier packaging costs, their advertising budget and their sponsorship deals. Especially when they don't product thier own raw ingredients and have the ame sources as MP, ON or anyone else.

In all fairness, if they're using ON (which is probably the best big brand) and want a cheaper alternative there isn't much but bulk suppliers and myprotein has the biggest range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Del007 wrote: »
    I've been using optimum nutrition 100% whey gold standard for a while now. I mix it with porridge and find it great.

Are there any alternatives out there? it's the cost that's putting me off buying more.

Cheers

Are you looking for an alternative whey supplement or an alternative for the porridge mix?

As ON do a great product called 100% Oats & Whey. I find it great in the mornings.

Bulkpowders is cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

Pharma First Nutrition Great Whey - Choclate.

Feckin delicious and mixed with glutamine.

pharmafirst_whey_great-1000-g-vanilla.jpg?osCsid=s786ofs6qngdik20q7immkg2u6

• Advertisement

I was talking to a guy from a UK supp company who was saying the reason myprotein is so cheap is because its all poor quality powders produced in China.

It seems theres a lot of people on internet forums pushing the brand. Anyone who criticizes it is mocked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

I believe there will be a new EU formula of Oxypro Elite available soon - main change i could see was no yohimbe

anybody who has taken yohimbe might say that is no bad thing!

I was talking to a guy from a UK supp company who was saying the reason myprotein is so cheap is because its all poor quality powders produced in China.

It seems theres a lot of people on internet forums pushing the brand. Anyone who criticizes it is mocked at.

What supps company said this?

The above is rubbish either way.

I dont buy from MP as they are too expensive for Irish customers. BP are cheaper (thouigh how much longer that will last given that VAT is to be applied across the UK now)

I don't want to go taddling on him but he gave me a list of companies who all get their protein in bulk from the same place in China and then mix it with flavourings etc. in UK/Germany/Ireland and claim that its produced there.

Myprotein was one of the companies he mentioned. I can't remember if he mentioned BuyProtein but it wouldn't suprise me considering their prices. Its funny, a lot of the companies he recommended as having genuine products with high quality proteins were ones I'd never heard of! Just goes to show you the power of advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/Files/Documents/709.pdf

Some of the issues are because myprotein won't disclose source of products but they have cert of analysis as a ove on website and are ISO accredited

I personally don't like their whey but that's a flavor/ texture issue not related to quality afaik

I don't want to go taddling on him but he gave me a list of companies who all get their protein in bulk from the same place in China and then mix it with flavourings etc. in UK/Germany/Ireland and claim that its produced there.

Myprotein was one of the companies he mentioned. I can't remember if he mentioned BuyProtein but it wouldn't suprise me considering their prices. Its funny, a lot of the companies he recommended as having genuine products with high quality proteins were ones I'd never heard of! Just goes to show you the power of advertising!

It's well know they get their whey from Glanbia Nutritionals. A few of their staff were from Glanbia Nutritionals UK and the CFM process they use is trademarked by Glanbia Nutritionals. MP Max range is made by Glanbia as well.

Bulk powders like BCAAs would be from china unless its the instantised version from Japan.

TheZ wrote: »

Some of the issues are because myprotein won't disclose source of products but they have cert of analysis as a ove on website and are ISO accredited

I personally don't like their whey but that's a flavor/ texture issue not related to quality afaik

Theres a reason why I wouldn't put too much faith in those accreditions but I won't go any further. They won't disclose the source because its China.

...a lot of the companies he recommended as having genuine products with high quality proteins were ones I'd never heard of! Just goes to show you the power of advertising!
    A person who I'm assuming is in direct competition with MyProtein told you its low quality. And you believed him? Why would you?
    He had all the major brands on this bad list.
    By any chance, was the company he works for, resells, has shares in etc on the good list. The one you haden't heard of.

Believing what any salesman says about a rival company is stupid imo. But the supplement industry is especially ridiculous for claims. Some of the stuff I've been told by guys in shops.

I'm not mocking you btw, you can think what you want, buy from who you want. It's up to you. But FYI Its pretty easy to source cheap protein in europe. I don't think china produces a lot of dairy. So i'm not sure where this china whey is coming from.

Nah I don't think so, he was someone who I was training with over in the UK for a few weeks so I didn't meet him in a sales setting. He definitely wasn't trying to push the company he worked for because he mentioned how his company still gets a lot of its stuff from the same place in China.

• Advertisement

TheZ wrote: »

Theres a reason why I wouldn't put too much faith in those accreditions but I won't go any further. They won't disclose the source because its China.

Yet you put faith in that Hungarian whey who's website has bare minimum info about them?

Advertisement