Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Higher wrote: »
    Do you work for MyProtein? You seem to shoot down anyone who legitimately criticizes it and try to bully them from commenting further.

The taste is disgusting, the quality is poor and it doesnt mix well.
    Theres the truth folks.

my taughts exactly mate. Iv said it more than once that myprotein seems the only supplement company deemed acceptable here, anything else your pretty much being labelled stupid for paying more.

i bought a batch of them 3 years ago, it was my first and last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Higher wrote: »
    Do you work for MyProtein? You seem to shoot down anyone who legitimately criticizes it and try to bully them from commenting further.

The taste is disgusting, the quality is poor and it doesnt mix well.
    Theres the truth folks.

my taughts exactly mate. Iv said it more than once that myprotein seems the only supplement company deemed acceptable here, anything else your pretty much being labelled stupid for paying more.

Sure we're all just shills and MyProtein employees :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

my 2 cents

BSN Syntha 6 is the best tasting (by about five million miles)

Optimum 100% Gold Standard is the best value/quality balance.

/my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

why is everyone whinging about the flavour of whey? get over it. i get the unflavoured one from myprotein and add stevia.half the price of regular whey and got twice the quantity.

are you guys drinking whey as your main protein source throughout the day thats why your going mad over the flavour? the only time i have whey is post workout and thats it,the rest of your protein sources should be from food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

alexsmith wrote: »
    why is everyone whinging about the flavour of whey? get over it. i get the unflavoured one from myprotein and add stevia.half the price of regular whey and got twice the quantity.
    Oh... was I supposed to sweeten it? :rolleyes:
    I just mix the unflavoured one with a fork in a glass of water if I can't be bothered... add half a teaspoon of cocoa for a taste (mix the whey with cocoa first, otherwise the cocoa won't mix well). Perfect :D

Why would I pay extra for some artificial sweeteners and flavours? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

When they add in the sweeteners to whey if you check the small print, it will show that it takes away a % of protien as sweeteners will not contain protien.

People need to man up when it comes to taste.

meijin wrote: »
    Oh... was I supposed to sweeten it? :rolleyes:
    I just mix the unflavoured one with a fork in a glass of water if I can't be bothered... add half a teaspoon of cocoa for a taste (mix the whey with cocoa first, otherwise the cocoa won't mix well). Perfect :D

Why would I pay extra for some artificial sweeteners and flavours? :confused:

stevia is like a 5er for a jar that will last you for over a year,worth the price.

not sure what your trying to say but im saying that all people do is complain about how disgusting this or that whey is....cmon its only whey you drink it in about 10 seconds then the taste is gone,with or without a sweetener its fine,its just slightly easier to drink with stevia in it.

but people are complaining saying they'd never buy that protein again etc.most are the exact same (isolate/concentrate/hydrolysate),not on the molecular level obviously but in terms of "results" i dont notice any difference. i go for price when im buying whey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Del007 wrote: »
    where abouts in Dunnes would that be?

Down where all the flour n crap like that is! Stuff for baking, in my locaal Dunnes its where they keep all the condements, jams etc! Just ask somebody who works there if you cant find it, the brand is called Shamrock, and seriously it will do the exact same job as vitargo for a fraction of the cost!

alexsmith wrote: »

but people are complaining saying they'd never buy that protein again etc.most are the exact same (isolate/concentrate/hydrolysate),not on the molecular level obviously but in terms of "results" i dont notice any difference. i go for price when im buying whey.

That's it but doesn't mean others are wrong. We all have different selling points we're sensitive to. For some it might be price per kg, others it might be taste. I can see their point of view as whey is food and I wouldn't buy rubbery chicken I hated just cause of price. I'd be more sensitive to taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

I couldn't care about taste, thats just one aspect.

I pay extra for decent quality whey which myprotein simply isnt.

You seem to have labelled anyone who pays for any protein other than myprotein as someone who is paying extra for nice taste. Thats not true. I've heard from professional rugby players to steer clear of the stuff and that its **** imported from China via Europe.

I notice a massive difference over the course of a month in terms of DOMS with myprotein and when I used a superior whey.

• Advertisement

You seem to have labelled anyone who pays for any protein other than myprotein as someone who is paying extra for nice taste. Thats not true. I've heard from professional rugby players to steer clear of the stuff and that its **** imported from China via Europe.

I notice a massive difference over the course of a month in terms of DOMS with myprotein and when I used a superior whey.

I haven't labelled anyone. You are the one who came into the thread tarnishing a reputable brand with hearsay, recommending a brand no one has heard of and is only sold through one supplement store in Ireland that I can see which you were recommending in another thread.

Yet I'm the MyProtein shill when I'm not even using their stuff atm.

EDIT: if you don't like my posts use the ignore feature or report my posts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I suggest you look into the science behind protein. Either way, it's broken down into it's component amino acids which then proceed to be used by the body. Whether you're buying a premium brand such as ON (Leinster sponsors) or cheap like MyProtein, it will do the same job.

I'm not biased towards either as I use and love products from both (MP, ON) but I suggest if you're going to criticize a brand you do it with an effective argument. Doesn't matter where it's imported from, it's made via the same process and the same reaction occurs once it enters the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

So actually which unflavoured protein would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

i never thought i'd see the day when MP got slated on here :)

I recall back in the day making 2 orders with MP, from memory i ordered 2 flavours on the first and a different 2 flavours on the 2nd. I actually moved from ON to MP thinking there would be no change apart from price:(

I have to say ive never used MP again after that, i found it awful in regards to mixing and even worse in regards to taste...in all 4 flavours, in my own case i would very much pay the extra for better tasting protein, MP was good for service etc but at the end of the day when your ill from working out the last thing you need is foul tasting protein. I'm a bit of a myofusion fan now but im sure there people who would take MP over myofusion out there too!!!...i just think their mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

are you guys drinking whey as your main protein source throughout the day thats why your going mad over the flavour? the only time i have whey is post workout and thats it,the rest of your protein sources should be from food.

I think your under estimating how tough it can be though to get all your protein from foods, it is an incredibly hard task for most of us with work or other commitments.

not too mention weight gainers being nearly essential for many ectomorphs like myself in order to grow. Eating a lot doesn't come easy to lots of ectomorphs, so supplements are a huge help and tbh a relief.

ATM i supplement whey,casein,creatine and a weight gainer, its only the odd time mainly a day off that i actually have enough time to get my calories in (3500 per day atm) via entirely food and i can tell you it aint easy! at least from my experience.

whey once a day isn't enough for a lot of people or appropriate for their lifestyle, training etc.

whey once a day isn't enough for a lot of people or appropriate for their lifestyle, training etc.

I agree.

I take it in the morning when I get up, after my workout, before I go to work (at night) and when I come home from work (at night). So I take 4-6 scoops a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Have to say i had a bad experience with Myprotein.When I received my order(which was 2 weeks late) it was teh wrong flavour.I had to return it whcih cost me postage and packing.
    Then i got the proper flavour i ordered and found it mixed terribley.I used Optimum nutrition before but said id give myprotein a chance but never again,complete disaster.

With ON shakes the protein mixed great and easy.In the morning it took me sconds to make a shake and be goen out the door,with MYprotein,the shake i got ,took me minutes to mix in as the powder was clumpy and congealed.I ended up giving the remainder of the tub to a friend as the taste was also rotten and not consistent withthe many reviews on the myprotein website.

Also ,i hve to say the recovery seemd much better with ON protein,i dont have any metric studies or scientific back up for this but i always felt the prtein was more effective.

ON all the way in the future for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

What about this Norateen stuff I seen advertised on the Active Channel? It's from LAmuscle.com, never heard or seen anyone mention it. It seems like mad money. Any opinions on it?

EDIT: Here's a link to it: http://www.lamuscle.com/products/norateen-extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

What about this Norateen stuff I seen advertised on the Active Channel? It's from LAmuscle.com, never heard or seen anyone mention it. It seems like mad money. Any opinions on it?

EDIT: Here's a link to it: http://www.lamuscle.com/products/norateen-extreme

Its complete BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Its complete BS

Wouldn't surprise me TBH! Thanks for the candid reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

you serious?? you heard??? where is your proof? if i believed every thing i heard then i should look like phil heath from protein shakes alone and do i? no.
    rugby players usually take branded stuff because they are usually sponsered to promote it etc.

and again you honestly believe a few extra animo acids in branded whey is going to make much of a difference to 95% of people.....not a chance!
    i used branded protein for about a year then swapped over to bulk suppliers (myprotein, bodybuilding werehouse, ironscience and so on) and i've noticed no difference at all. and in the last two months ish i've been taking in about 25o to 300 grms of protein from myprotein powder as its cheaper than food and i am poor atm and i'm still growing and am not losing strenght, muscle so :confused:

€64.95 for a 5 pound tub of Optimum in Mahers in Cork (they suddenly upped their price by a tenner last year o.0). I like buying stuff there but before shipping Ebay is €20 cheaper!

Just ordered it for €51 from HP nutrition through Ebay, hopefully the delivery will be quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

When should I be taking this whey protein stuff by the way ? Immediately after a workout ? Not body building or anything just looking to help the old muscles along a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

lads whats your opinion on the Whey gold standard protein?

Just doing the usual training, cardio and weights, looking to build lean muscle and lose the fat

would the protein be best taken after the workout yeah? or before also?

cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Jayob10 wrote: »
    lads whats your opinion on the Whey gold standard protein?

Just doing the usual training, cardio and weights, looking to build lean muscle and lose the fat

would the protein be best taken after the workout yeah? or before also?

cheers in advance

ON gold Standard?? Cant go wrong, i think everyone will have taken it at some stage! There are cheaper/better more expensive options out there but it'l do the job and there flavours are usually nice:)

I like to have a shake about 20 mins before training and then have another straight after!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

ON gold Standard?? Cant go wrong, i think everyone will have taken it at some stage! There are cheaper/better more expensive options out there but it'l do the job and there flavours are usually nice:)

I like to have a shake about 20 mins before training and then have another straight after!

cheers for the info, much appreciated

I think your under estimating how tough it can be though to get all your protein from foods, it is an incredibly hard task for most of us with work or other commitments.

not too mention weight gainers being nearly essential for many ectomorphs like myself in order to grow. Eating a lot doesn't come easy to lots of ectomorphs, so supplements are a huge help and tbh a relief.

ATM i supplement whey,casein,creatine and a weight gainer, its only the odd time mainly a day off that i actually have enough time to get my calories in (3500 per day atm) via entirely food and i can tell you it aint easy! at least from my experience.

i said the only time "I" have whey is post workout. I definately agree with you about hardgainers like yourself and/or busier people with hectic schedules. but i prepare my meals and work 8 and 10 hour days and still manage to get enough food in and only have one shake.im not mad on having multiple shakes a day,the only other time i'd use whey would be if i missed a meal and id mix it with peanut butter and almond milk. but for 90% of the time its just food,real food.

but for hardgainers it must be **** having to eat that much and yes you should use a weightgainer for extra calories needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Unfortunately I had my first experience in Holland & Barrett's. A truly awful place. Shaker cups of the exact same design as the myprotein cups, but 5 times the price was the highlight. I was stuck for a shaker and opted for a €5 USN shaker which was ****e, then the lady at the counter did her best Mrs. Doyle impression trying to sell me their **** magazine and some sort of loyalty card.

You forget how great internet shopping is some times...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

post removed - found answer in another post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Can people stop comparing apples and oranges?

People keep saying MP mix badly etc. Which one? they have a million different variations?

e.g. I am using their peptide at the moment, Doesnt mix great. You know why? as it is what it says on the tub. Mixes just as bad reflex peptide fusion as they are similar products!

ON gold whey is a blend of proteins btw

Myofusion is a blend with a proteins + load of favorings. So much flavor its only 60% protein in-comparison to 75-80 for most of MP's range. Why compare it to MP bog whey?

Advertisement