Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I couldn't care about taste, thats just one aspect.

I pay extra for decent quality whey which myprotein simply isnt.

You seem to have labelled anyone who pays for any protein other than myprotein as someone who is paying extra for nice taste. Thats not true. I've heard from professional rugby players to steer clear of the stuff and that its **** imported from China via Europe.

I notice a massive difference over the course of a month in terms of DOMS with myprotein and when I used a superior whey.

Loling hard at this post.

Can you quantify what a decent quality whey protein is? and why MP doesnt match up? Quantify what a superior whey means etc?

Specify which MP product btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

LMFAO at the ''difference in terms of DOMS'', a international standardization for protein quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

People knock companies you like.

Get over it people. This is descending into stupidity.

Dermighty wrote: »
    People knock companies you like.

Get over it people. This is descending into stupidity.

That has little to do with it. If some says "i dont like MP, they mess up my order" I have no problem with it.

When people post potential liable (an issue for boards no?) seriously mis-informed crap then I do take issue. Lets stop the blind leading the blind in all fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

john_cappa wrote: »
    That has little to do with it. If some says "i dont like MP, they mess up my order" I have no problem with it.

When people post potential liable (an issue for boards no?) seriously mis-informed crap then I do take issue. Lets stop the blind leading the blind in all fairness.

Are you actually trying to get me silenced through insinuating litigation?

That is utterly pathetic. I am allowed to state whether or not I like/dislike a supplement. In fact many others have said the same as me.

There is an element of bullying and ridiculing of anyone who dares to criticize MP/BP even though people have legitimate complaints.

I would advise people to steer clear and not heed advice on here as I suspect people have vested interests.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That is utterly pathetic. I am allowed to state whether or not I like/dislike a supplement. In fact many others have said the same as me.

There is an element of bullying and ridiculing of anyone who dares to criticize MP/BP even though people have legitimate complaints.

I would advise people to steer clear and not heed advice on here as I suspect people have vested interests.

Put the tin foil hat back on buddy. There's no vested interests other than liking a good quality protein at a great price. They got lashed here a while ago over their price increases.

You made unsubstantiated claims about the quality of their product, which is not stating an opinion, which could be seen as libellous.

I think YOU'RE the one with vested interests. I bet you own a supplement shop. Which one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Del007

Jayob10 wrote: »
    lads whats your opinion on the Whey gold standard protein?

Just doing the usual training, cardio and weights, looking to build lean muscle and lose the fat

would the protein be best taken after the workout yeah? or before also?

cheers in advance

As far am I know it contains no carbs or very little so just beware of that. If you're doing a big cardio session then it would be a good idea to take it on it's own prior to the gym.

Ok.

Can you answer my above post so please? I linked to it below also.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77923143&postcount=4206

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hi
    Does anyone here use a prework product?are they worth getting?

Hi

I've used BSN NoXplode 2.0 and Optimum Nutrition CGT10 (which I took as a pre and post workout supplement) before.

NOXplode works, I don't really like the idea of taking pre-workout supplements, I usually have a coffee about 60-90 minutes before the gym and it does the trick. People seem to like NO Xplode, I found that half a scoop was perfect for me (I'm 6'2" and 104kg) and when I took more than that it just overheated me rather than gave me any noticeable pump (the most I took in one sitting was 3/4 or 0.75 scoops). People have been known to take 2 or even 3 scoops, I wouldn't recommend it.

CGT 10 just has creatine, glutamine and taurine and there's no stimulants in it, about 7g of carbs per serving (2 teaspoons = 1 serving). A friend mixed CGT 10 with Optimums Amino Energy (which has caffeine) which would give a better pre-workout drink than either on their own.

• Advertisement

I've used BSN NoXplode 2.0 and Optimum Nutrition CGT10 (which I took as a pre and post workout supplement) before.

NOXplode works, I don't really like the idea of taking pre-workout supplements, I usually have a coffee about 60-90 minutes before the gym and it does the trick. People seem to like NO Xplode, I found that half a scoop was perfect for me (I'm 6'2" and 104kg) and when I took more than that it just overheated me rather than gave me any noticeable pump (the most I took in one sitting was 3/4 or 0.75 scoops). People have been known to take 2 or even 3 scoops, I wouldn't recommend it.

CGT 10 just has creatine, glutamine and taurine and there's no stimulants in it, about 7g of carbs per serving (2 teaspoons = 1 serving). A friend mixed CGT 10 with Optimums Amino Energy (which has caffeine) which would give a better pre-workout drink than either on their own.

CGT is not a pre workout?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did you notice an energy boost/able to lift more weight?

Did you notice an energy boost/able to lift more weight?

What do you want from a preworkout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I use Driven Sports Craze now. Only used it once and found nice energy from it but it could be a placebo effect

I use Driven Sports Craze now. Only used it once and found nice energy from it but it could be a placebo effect

Had a sample (scoop and a half or so). Way way over stimed for me. Didnt like it at all. Not familiar with the ingredient list really in particular the stims.

Dont really like the concentrated PWO.

What do you want from a preworkout?

energy boost,try and push another few sets/reps out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Hi

I'm a big fan of Controlled Lads White Flood as it contains no 1,3-DMAA (1 3-dimethylamylamine). 1,3-DMAA is a popular stimulant in many PWO's but the problem is due to it's recent inclusion (in a research sense) in PWO there's no long term studies of it's effect on the body, it's a WADA banned substance and academic research before has shown it may potentially cause erectile dysfunction albeit it's a very small risk. Personally, I still wouldn't want to risk it.

MusclePharm Assault is a new enough product and looking very very promising. Good energy blend, contains BCAA's and pretty advanced forms of Creatine. Getting good reviews and won BB.com New Supplement of the Year for 2011. Haven't tried it yet though.

No Xplode is also a very popular PWO. Personally I don't like it due to bad experiences (problems digesting the colouring) but I'm yet to try the new 2.0 version so I can't fully comment on it. It's still a very popular supplement so it's certainly doing something right and the new formula is getting very good reviews.

If you're sensitive to Caffeine / energy products I'd try to get samples before buying the full product. Bodybuilding.com sell plenty of samples cheaply and the shipping prices aren't to bad either, maybe get 3-4 brands and decide which works for you. Personally I'm a big fan of PWO's.

Had a sample (scoop and a half or so). Way way over stimed for me. Didnt like it at all. Not familiar with the ingredient list really in particular the stims.

Dont really like the concentrated PWO.

I didn't find it over stimmed but I'm only use one scoop. It's hard to explain but I found I was more focused in a zen kinda way, workout less taxing and at the end I had energy for more.

RMD wrote: »
    research before has shown it may potentially cause erectile dysfunction albeit it's a very small risk.

I wouldn't chance it myself if that's the case ;)
    RMD wrote: »

If you're sensitive to Caffeine / energy products I'd try to get samples before buying the full product. Bodybuilding.com sell plenty of samples cheaply and the shipping prices aren't to bad either, maybe get 3-4 brands and decide which works for you. Personally I'm a big fan of PWO's.

I'll give that site a look :)

now can some tell me what are the benefits of taking a post workout product?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I wouldn't chance it myself if that's the case ;)

I'll give that site a look :)

now can some tell me what are the benefits of taking a post workout product?

Most good recovery products these days are a mix of protein sources such as Whey / Casein and carbs such as Maltodextrin / Dextrose / Waxy Maize Starch dependent on price. Some will also include BCAA's (Branch Chain Amino Acids, Lecuine, Isoleucine, Valine) which aid recovery and Leucine in combination with protein + carbs post-workout has been shown to increase protein synthesis.

It's not necessary but is beneficial as a good quality recovery will contain Whey, quickly acting carbs for a quick glycogen replenishment and other beneficial ingredients such as BCAA's, Glutamine etc. It's expensive but a very good looking recovery right now is Universal Torrent. Less expensive and good looking options are ON 2:1:1 or Reflex Growth Matrix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Hi

I dont really do pre workouts..as such:)

I do take bsn nitrix which i like, took about 3 weeks to kick in but i love the effect!!, the down side is taking the 9 a day and all 30 mins before food so you really have to have your planning hat on if your going to get the most out of it.

Apart from that i just use scivation xtend daily and myofusion after workouts.

thats my lot but it keeps me happy and provides no come downs:rolleyes:

CGT is not a pre workout?

You can take it as a pre-workout, but it's no different to taking creatine and glutamine before a workout. Taurine doesn't stimulate you, just hydrates cells supposedly.

When I think of PWO drinks/supplements they usually have a big kick involved (Jack3d or NOXplode being prime examples). CGT wont give you a pump, NOXplode will and Jack3d will.

You can take it as a pre-workout, but it's no different to taking creatine and glutamine before a workout. Taurine doesn't stimulate you, just hydrates cells supposedly.

When I think of PWO drinks/supplements they usually have a big kick involved (Jack3d or NOXplode being prime examples). CGT wont give you a pump, NOXplode will and Jack3d will.

Is creatine a pre workout product?

You can take creatine any time

No, but it's in a lot of pre and post workout supplements (Aftermax, NOXplode, Hydro Builder etc).

Creatine is found in food but supplementing it has noticeable benefits.

Creatine increases the amount of ATP your muscles can store, so they have a bigger gas tank basically. More creatine = more endurance. So you can lift for longer, and generally lift more too.

No, but it's in a lot of pre and post workout supplements (Aftermax, NOXplode, Hydro Builder etc).

Creatine is found in food but supplementing it has noticeable benefits.

Creatine increases the amount of ATP your muscles can store, so they have a bigger gas tank basically. More creatine = more endurance. So you can lift for longer, and generally lift more too.

Can you take it on its own?like buy it on its own?and when would you take it?

(sorry about all the question : ) )

You can take anything pre-workout. That does not make it a preworkout product.

You can take anything pre-workout. That does not make it a preworkout product.

That's exactly what I was saying in my previous post.

Was there really a need to post that?!

That's exactly what I was saying in my previous post.

Was there really a need to post that?!

Nice edit. My point is if it is not a pre-workout why are you discussing it and muddying the waters as per below? why even mention about your buddy using it with an amino energy as a preworkout?

Either way lets not argue about nothing.

• Advertisement

Nice edit. My point is if it is not a pre-workout why are you discussing it and muddying the waters as per below? why even mention about your buddy using it with an amino energy as a preworkout?

Either way lets not argue about nothing.

Because amino energy + CGT 10 are a good combination.

The OP asked if people took preworkout supplements, i said that I took CGT 10 as a preworkout supplement (with coffee).

The reason I edited is because what I edited it to sound sbetter than "Jesus f*cking christ that's exactly what I just said".

Regarding muddying the waters, being deliberately pedantic is about all you have to add to this thread, so I'm going to go ahead and ignore your posts.

Advertisement