Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Just on chalky - corn starch is chalky for a descriptive reference.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Just on chalky - corn starch is chalky for a descriptive reference.:)

There is a lot of Hovis bread references being made on some forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JCM77

slemons wrote: »
    I just got a big order in from iherb. In 3 days! what a place....

Anyway has anyone ever used coconut oil?

E.V. Coconut Oil (Garden of Life branded) http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=3111

Its great. They have free Airmail for international orders over $40.00 again.Ends April 30th, 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭marathonic

JCM77 wrote: »
    Its great. They have free Airmail for international orders over $40.00 again.Ends April 30th, 2012.

Yeah, I'm going to be ordering two packs of protein bars (one Quest and one Greens Plus) on Monday.

I'd order two Quest as they are highly recommended on boards - but I've never tried either of them and the free deliver isn't available on two Quest packs due to the extra 1g per bar weight bringing it over 4lbs.

marathonic wrote: »
    JCM77 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm going to be ordering two packs of protein bars (one Quest and one Greens Plus) on Monday.

I'd order two Quest as they are highly recommended on boards - but I've never tried either of them and the free deliver isn't available on two Quest packs due to the extra 1g per bar weight bringing it over 4lbs.

What flavour of quest bars did you order?

• Advertisement

I didn't actually order them yet - gonna do it on Monday when I get paid. Any recommendations?

I didn't actually order them yet - gonna do it on Monday when I get paid. Any recommendations?

Apple pie. It's extremely nice.

I also like coconut and cashew

Apple pie. It's extremely nice.

I also like coconut and cashew

Thanks for the tip. When ordering stuff like this, I normally go on the best sellers on the iHerb site but I'd rather go on tips on boards. I think I'll go for the Apple Pie Quest bars and the Greens Plus Peanut Butter and Chocolate.

The 24 bars should last 6-8 weeks because I only intend on eating them when I'm stuck for something at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stickman2

Few questions on different supplements if anyone can spare the time to explain a few things to me.

Firstly BCAA's. I'm wondering when is best to take BCAA powder. Before,during or after a workout?And is all BCAA powder flavorless?

Secondly creatine, same as above when is best and is a loading phase necessary?

And lastly amino acids, for example the optimun nutrition brand, is this supplement useful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I think I'll go for the Apple Pie Quest bars and the Greens Plus Peanut Butter and Chocolate.

Quest look much better I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

drdeadlift wrote: »
    I tasted the oat gain from kinetica,worst tasting supp ever.

Which flavour? I was on the raspberry yogurt flavour for a month and it was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Have many of you heard of the possibility of 20% vat on protein in the UK from October.

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/vatonsportsdrinks

Worthwhile to sign the petition as if prices rise across the pond they will rise here as well.

Is there anyone selling unflavoured whey out of anywhere else in the EU, like Poland Slovakia or god forbid Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

quick question.....

Best recovery supplement? for after GAA training, or out on the bike for an hour

1322233810-32168100.jpg
    Kinetica
    http://www.kineticasports.com/recovery-c2/kinetica-100-recovery-1kg-orange-mango-p15

optimum_2_1_1_%20recovery-140x136.jpg
    Optimum Nutrition
    http://www.optimumnutrition.ie/2-1-1-recovery

mrm-elite.jpg
    Nutrition X
    http://www.nutritionxstore.ie/recovery/maximum-recovery-matrix

Kinetica Recovery is pretty cheap, popular and easy to get. I haven't got experience with any of them bar a sample of kinetica

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    quick question.....

Best recovery supplement? for after GAA training, or out on the bike for an hour

Used both ON 2:1:1 and now recently at the end of my first tub of Kinetica 100%, have not tried Nut X.

I would use them within a 20 min window after a spinning class (45min, easily burn 700 calories), or a 10KM/Mile run (from 45mins - 71mins, depending on distance).

In terms of taste, ON is really thick and super sweet. It's more of a shake than Kinetica. I had the vanilla ice cream flavour, and while I don't generally have a sweet tooth, I thought the shake was absolutely fantastic in terms of taste. I'd imagine the Chocolate flavour may have pushed me over the edge in terms of sweetness (have the ON Whey Caramel Toffee, and finding the sweetness tough going tbh).

In regards the effectiveness of 2:1:1, I actually found I still got a crash after a long run (say 8-10miles) - it may have had to with diet in general (i.e. lack of complex carbs). I kind of felt it was so sugary, this was inevitable. In saying that, used the shake post weight training, and it definitely helped with any soreness.

Moved to Kinetica (blackcurrant) recently as heard some long distance runners/triathletes using it post exercise, and was hoping to avoid the crashes I seemed to be getting after a long intense run.

First things first, it definitely worked in regard to that - take it now after my two weekly intense cardio sessions (spin and one long fast run), and feel great after the runs. Obviously the legs can get still sore after a long run where I'm trying to lower my time, etc, but overall can't complain.

In terms of texture, Kinetic is definitely less thick than ON, and more like a Ribena drink with a foam head. At first I was a bit put off by this (having been so used to the super sweet thick ON shake), but have actually come round to it pretty quickly and look forward to it big time now.

Being confined to the bed right now with the dreaded man flu, I'm not going to go and read the back of the tub for ingredients (also they're available online), but from my (imperfect) memory, think the two are pretty much on par with one another in terms of ingredients (possibly slightly more protein in ON....). In terms of price, Kinetica is cheaper, but you get slightly less....

In sum, both are good, but I'd imagaine I'll be sticking with Kinetica for the foreseeable future - and they're Irish which makes me feel somewhat better!

Oh and http://www.aobnutrition.com/aobnutrition_064.htm are doing a great deal on Kinetica 5lb Whey + Kinetica Recovery for 65euro. Not bad, considering I generally end up spending in the region of 80quid for a tub of Whey and Recovery shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Just finishing up a 2.27 tub of Nutrition X and deciding whether to go with that again or go with ON Gold Standard. Looking for a relativity low cal shake

From the below it looks like Nutrition x has a way higher level of protein per serving and lower in saturated fat. Maybe the serving levels below are not the same.

WWJD?

Amount Per Servings of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein:

Total Calories 120
    Calories From Fat 10
    Total Fat 1 g
    Saturated Fat 0.5 g
    Total Carbohydrates 3 g
    Protein 24 g

Per 40g Serving of Nutrition X Big Whey

Protein: 29.44g
    Carbohydrates: 2.28g
    (of which sugars): 1.64g
    Fat: 3.5g
    (of which saturates): 0.2g

Just finishing up a 2.27 tub of Nutrition X and deciding whether to go with that again or go with ON Gold Standard. Looking for a relativity low cal shake

From the below it looks like Nutrition x has a way higher level of protein per serving and lower in saturated fat. Maybe the serving levels below are not the same.

WWJD?

Amount Per Servings of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein:

Total Calories 120
    Calories From Fat 10
    Total Fat 1 g
    Saturated Fat 0.5 g
    Total Carbohydrates 3 g
    Protein 24 g

Per 40g Serving of Nutrition X Big Whey

Protein: 29.44g
    Carbohydrates: 2.28g
    (of which sugars): 1.64g
    Fat: 3.5g
    (of which saturates): 0.2g

There is more protein in the ON scoop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Yeah? Where are you seeing that?
    Not being smart.

I was on ON last year and got great results and I actually didn't think nutrition x gave as good results..trying to get the figures to add up

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭RyanTubs

Purchasing a tub of protein & creatine today. Which brands are the market leaders these days? I bought my last tub over a year ago, it was some small brand. ON seems to be the most respected brand for protein anyway so I'll probably go with their Gold Std 100% Whey but I have no idea what creatine to go for.

Yeah? Where are you seeing that?
    Not being smart.

I was on ON last year and got great results and I actually didn't think nutrition x gave as good results..trying to get the figures to add up

The ON scoop is 30g while Nutrition X is 40g so more in ON scoop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stickman2

Would it be ok to eat home made protein bars consisting of whey protein,eggs,peanut butter,oats and milk as a substitute for say a bowl of oats or a few eggs for breakfast? Or would you not get the same nutrients from the bar as a bowl of oats or the eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Just spotted a Colostrum supplement: link

I can't imagine there would be any need to spend money on it over good quality foods to be honest. None the less I was curious!

Anyone use it or feel it could have a role to play in a healthy diet?

Bag of Pulse is only €15 on myprotein

Tempting as it never gave me a crash

Is it effective??

Damn Craze is too good. Hard to resist reaching for it before every workout.

Is it effective??

Damn Craze is too good. Hard to resist reaching for it before every workout.

Not as good as Craze. Just a little stim and focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Wouldnt mind a bit more energy/focus when going for a workout but I wouldnt be doing a whole lot so a supplement would probable be a waste and end up with me breaking an arm or something.

Is coffee or red bull good pre workout ? Or anything else that will give me a little nudge ?

Not as good as Craze. Just a little stim and focus.

Could be just what I need. Keep the nuclear option for special occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Has anyone got any myprotein discount codes before I make a big order? :o Worth a shot haha. And I don't just want your referral codes, I have an account

<duplicate>

• Advertisement

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Has anyone got any myprotein discount codes before I make a big order? :o Worth a shot haha. And I don't just want your referral codes, I have an account

Buy 1 Get 1 Half Price allowing you to ‘mix and match’ 4 of their multi source protein formulas. Ends midnight Sunday 6 May 2012.

Recovery XS, 1.8kg | Hard Gainer Extreme, 2.5kg | Bedtime Extreme, 1.8kg | Total Breakfast, 2.1kg

Code: FORM

Advertisement