Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

dan185 wrote: »
    Been on ON gold standard but I fancy trying myofusion. Where's cheapest to get it?

Myofusion is a million times better tasting than ON gold standard.

Most places i have seen sell it for €45 but you would want to be quick because Gaspari have stopped making it and replaced it with the probiotic version which is muck.

EDIT: Banana is the nicest flavour if you can find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Did whey have another price increase?

I noticed myprotein put up their prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

dan185 wrote: »
    Been on ON gold standard but I fancy trying myofusion. Where's cheapest to get it?

I found I put on a few pounds with ON but I think I look in better shape than I was before.
    Liam90 wrote: »
    Myofusion is a million times better tasting than ON gold standard.

Most places i have seen sell it for €45 but you would want to be quick because Gaspari have stopped making it and replaced it with the probiotic version which is muck.

EDIT: Banana is the nicest flavour if you can find it.

Best tasting protein I've ever had is PHD Whey, really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone could advise of any supplements that they think I could beneift from based on my stats, goals, diet and exercise.

P.S. I'm a noob when it comes to this sort of terminology so go easy on me! This post is also a bit long but bear with me!

I am 32, 5ft 8, 10 stone even. approx 9.5% bodyfat. I have a seriously slight frame so want the lean, toned, defined look. I am there to some degree - i was under 9 stone before i started working out! I could probably get to 10.5 or 11 stone once the extra is lean muscle.

Due to a small baby in the house, I am currently only able to hit the gym twice a week. Primarily all weights programme with some fat buring cardio.

My diet looks like this:

6.30am
    Porridge & Low Fat Milk
    Herbalife 24 Formula 1 Shake with 250ml Soya Milk Multivitamin tablet
    Fish Oil Capsule

10am
    Low Fat Probiotic Yoghurt
    Plum/Nectarine
    Small tin of tuna / couple of hard boiled eggs

12.30pm
    Dinner in work. Dinners are pretty good here and I generally can get unprocessed meats, two veg, spuds, rice etc

4pm
    Piece of fruit / banana if going to the gym Kinetica Whey Protein

6.30pm (non gym days)
    Second dinner. This will be smaller than earlier in the day. Typically standard portion sizes of spagehetti bologanise, chicken stir fry and brown rice, baked salmon & spuds etc

7.30pm (gym days)
    4 large eggs scrambled
    slice of wholemeal bread
    small-medium sized tin of sugar free beans

9pm piece of fruit handful of nuts

So thats my diet most days. The Herbalife is one thing I probably want to try change. Its bl00dy expensive plus the the reason I am taking it is because: a) my mate sells the stuff! b) when i started exercising first my diet was terrible. It was a handy complete meal in a shake.

So my question is would I benefit from other supplements e.g. creatine or some lean mass type product?

All constructive advice welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I normally get my creatine mono from H&B and I want to shop around this time. Is there anything I need to look out for when buying it? Or is it all pretty much the same? There seems to be quite a range in price which makes me wonder if there are significant differences in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Henno30 wrote: »
    I normally get my creatine mono from H&B and I want to shop around this time. Is there anything I need to look out for when buying it? Or is it all pretty much the same? There seems to be quite a range in price which makes me wonder if there are significant differences in quality.

I recommend these two, Both are very cheap and probly the two best on the market imo.

http://www.discountsupplements.ie/creatine/monohydrate/allmax-nutrition-micronized-creatine-monohydrate-1kg

http://www.discountsupplements.ie/creatine/monohydrate/dymatize-micronized-creatine-1kg

They are both 1kg, so 3-5g a day is 200 days plus worth of creatine.

I recommend these two, Both are very cheap and probly the two best on the market imo.

http://www.discountsupplements.ie/creatine/monohydrate/allmax-nutrition-micronized-creatine-monohydrate-1kg

http://www.discountsupplements.ie/creatine/monohydrate/dymatize-micronized-creatine-1kg

They are both 1kg, so 3-5g a day is 200 days plus worth of creatine.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I found these two products when I was scouting around:

on bulkpowders - http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-category/creatine-supplements/creatine-monohydrate-supplements/creatine-monohydrate.html - 1kg for about €13.50,

and on myprotein - http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/creatine-monohydrate - 500g for €7.40.

Like I said in my first post, these are fairly significant price differences, so is there a significant difference between the quality of what I'm getting with those two, and the quality I'm getting with the two you recommend?

Henno30 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations.

I found these two products when I was scouting around:

on bulkpowders - http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-category/creatine-supplements/creatine-monohydrate-supplements/creatine-monohydrate.html - 1kg for about €13.50,

and on myprotein - http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/creatine-monohydrate - 500g for €7.40.

Like I said in my first post, these are fairly significant price differences, so is there a significant difference between the quality of what I'm getting with those two, and the quality I'm getting with the two you recommend?

Not really. The only thing I recommend is when buying creatine mono, get the creapure version. It costs slightly more but is consistent quality.

MyProtein & Bulk Powders both do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭shannon guy

Ray Mond wrote: »

As far as test boosters go this is one of the highly rated ones around the net. But end of the day, most natural test boosters will give you minimum effectiveness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

How much of an increase? There is constant upward pressure on pricing unfortunately.

The worst atm is glutamine - the fob prices from China where most of it comes from are now more than the sale prices online were in the UK incl the vat over there!:eek:

Many places are out of stock on LG atm for good reason.

Not really. The only thing I recommend is when buying creatine mono, get the creapure version. It costs slightly more but is consistent quality.

MyProtein & Bulk Powders both do it.

Gummy I have to disagree with you here.:)

Creapure is a brand name and you pay for the branding. It used to be 99.99% but now the minimum it has to meet iirc is 99.95%.

Fact is you can get 99.95%+ from more than a few manufacturers and IMO I am happy with 99.92% or so anyway.

Once it is 99.90% minimum I am fine with that.

Nothing wrong with Creapure but is it worth the extra money?

How come we have no similar branding for say L-Glutamine when we could have if the Korean company pushed it for example.

Just my opinion.:)

The Guvnor wrote: »

How much of an increase? There is constant upward pressure on pricing unfortunately.

The worst atm is glutamine - the fob prices from China where most of it comes from are now more than the sale prices online were in the UK incl the vat over there!:eek:

Many places are out of stock on LG atm for good reason.

True Whey went up by €5. Total protein went up around the same. WPC80 doesn't seem to have changed.

unsportsnutrition.ie was doing a promo on facebook today. If they got 250 likes, they'd reduce ON to €39.99

Well they got 221 and considered it close enough so ON whey is €39.99 on their online for today.

MyProtein's buy 1 get 1 half price is back on 2.5kg bags of WPC80.

Code: IMPACT

True Whey went up by €5. Total protein went up around the same. WPC80 doesn't seem to have changed.

There is constant upward pressure on pricing. What I would say is maybe the rise will come on WPC80 or as wpc80 is more competitive this price will stay as is.

As the other rises were on less popular products the rise could be speculative.

Very hard to say 100%. Everything is going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations for fat burners / thermogenics.
    I was thinking of Thermopure from myprotein but reviews are a bit meh.

Any input would be great.

Waste of money. The only fat burners that work are illegal to sell over the counter. If you need a pick ne up during dieting, buy some caffeine tabs

Hey gummy, you talking from experience, or is that the general consensus?

I normally get good results from dieting alone but was looking for something to give me a bit of a boost. Just googled Hydroxycut and read some crazy stuff.

• Advertisement

Hey gummy, you talking from experience, or is that the general consensus?

Both to be honest. The thing with reviews is that there is a big chance they're a supplement company shill or it was the placebo effect they experienced.

Cheers Gummy, ya some of those shills can be pretty obvious / hilarious too.

Anything out there you'd recommend over the Thermopure?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Cheers Gummy, ya some of those shills can be pretty obvious / hilarious too.

Anything out there you'd recommend over the Thermopure?

Not sure what you're current training is like, but why not just increase cardio and change up diet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Myprotein are having 20% off their BCAA's, code bcaa20.

Works out 36 euro for a kg of BCAA, may as well get 2 and qualify for free shipping.

Just on fat burners - I know some who swore by them and genuinely seemed to lose a fair amount of weight - granted heavy to begin with.

I got bugger all weight loss from them or appetite supression and tbh I would use one primarily as a pre-workout boost.

Hail it all depends on what you want to achieve as a boost fine as weight loss not really imo.

imo fat burners are a waste of money, the best way to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

What's the story with the supposed coffee/creatine conflict? Is there much evidence behind it to start with, and if there is, how are you supposed to manage the intake of both? Is it a case of not taking them at the same time, or is it a case of giving up coffee if you want to get the most out of your creatine?

hada wrote: »
    Not sure what you're current training is like, but why not just increase cardio and change up diet?

Just to clarify, i train primarily in MMA, intend on hitting the weights as much as possibly too. One of the reasons for wanting to try Them is to give me a boost while dieting down.

I would rather try them now and see how things go for me, than try them and feel rotten while trying to cut weight for a fight. I'm not competing at the moment but want to try out some of the ideas I had the last time I was dieting.

Cheers for all the input, I've ordered some Thermopure along with a pile of protein, so I'll let he know how I get on!

imo fat burners are a waste of money, the best way to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

Hi Liam90, have you tried any?
    It's all well and good saying theyre a waste of money but I'm looking for opinions from people who've tried them out.
    I've previously gone down the cardio and dieting path (with good results), I'll be doing that this time too and hoping the Thermopure gives me a boost.

• Advertisement

Hi Liam90, have you tried any?
    It's all well and good saying theyre a waste of money but I'm looking for opinions from people who've tried them out.
    I've previously gone down the cardio and dieting path (with good results), I'll be doing that this time too and hoping the Thermopure gives me a boost.

It's too late now but if you needed a stimulant while dieting then caffeine and l tyrosine would help. I think thermopure contains both but the l tyrosine may be a little underdosed.

Advertisement