Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Hi Liam90, have you tried any?
    It's all well and good saying theyre a waste of money but I'm looking for opinions from people who've tried them out.
    I've previously gone down the cardio and dieting path (with good results), I'll be doing that this time too and hoping the Thermopure gives me a boost.

During my cut last year I obviously changed my whole diet around and also took animal cuts to help with the weight loss.

However this year during my cut I went with the same diet but never took any weight loss supplements and got the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Gave them a lash any way, today was the first day, gonna be dieting for ~4 weeks, I'll let he know how I get on. Thanks for all the input!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

It's too late now but if you needed a stimulant while dieting then caffeine and l tyrosine would help. I think thermopure contains both but the l tyrosine may be a little underdosed.

Contains 200mg of L tyrosine, not sure if that's a lot or too little :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Hey lads,
    I was looking at weights on amazon the last day and I came across testosterone and hgh supplements.

Now I'm not informed on these sort of things nor do I want to take them because I'm young enough not to need them, but how could it be real hgh if all they are is boosters?:confused:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anabolic-Pro-Max-STRENGTH-BODYBUILDING-SUPPLEMENT/dp/B002KPX7M6/ref=sr_1_9?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1338495656&sr=1-9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

1ZRed wrote: »
    Hey lads,
    I was looking at weights on amazon the last day and I came across testosterone and hgh supplements.

Now I'm not informed on these sort of things nor do I want to take them because I'm young enough not to need them, but how could it be real hgh if all they are is boosters?:confused:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anabolic-Pro-Max-STRENGTH-BODYBUILDING-SUPPLEMENT/dp/B002KPX7M6/ref=sr_1_9?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1338495656&sr=1-9

If your in your teens or early to mid 20s and even in most cases 30s , you don't need these. Iv never given into them but a freind recently did and said it literally done nothing for him, the biggest waste of money he's ever spent on any supplement.

I think there better suited for the lads who juice, when they cycle of , they often stack tthese test boosters to aid their production.

For the average young natural chap , your testosterone production should be through the roof and that's why if you stacked these you probably wouldn't notice a thing.

On caffeine v creatine. That's always interested me, my personal opinion is that I don't Belive a combination of the 2 have a negative effect.

Think about it most pre-workouts are loaded with caffeine aswell as containing creatine, i.e jack3d which contains both.

I think it's a myth tbh Iv stacked both plenty a time and got both benefits but I'm sure you'll find someone else to argue the opposite as the health and fitness world is opinionated as fu*k ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Just on fat burners - I know some who swore by them and genuinely seemed to lose a fair amount of weight - granted heavy to begin with.

I got bugger all weight loss from them or appetite supression and tbh I would use one primarily as a pre-workout boost.

Hail it all depends on what you want to achieve as a boost fine as weight loss not really imo.
    Oxy elite by any chance? I'm on that, got it after all the fantastic reviews, no weight loss at all really or appetite suppression although I feel that could be kicking in more after two weeks on it. I feel hotter recently, its meant to do that, by body looks pretty decent but not noticeable in weight loss on scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

Can anyone answer me this question?

I have been taking ON whey protein post workout the last while. But I'm looking to put on size and am not getting enough calories from my food. If i was to take a ON serious mass shake post workout would I be getting a good balance of protein for muscle recovery aswel as a higher calorie intake?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Just a general heads up re beta-alanine which I've been taking for the last week or so.

It's easily one of the most effective supps I've ever taken (mind you, I only take ON whey and a Kinetica 100% Recovery).

Basic gist: Been taking 1.5g of beta-alanine 4 times a day for the last 4 days and I can honestly say I've already added a rep more to my work out, am fatiguing less in my cardio (a spin and a 10KM run), and feel close to no soreness/fatigue the next day after either strength or cardio. Whereas in the past, I'd def have felt it if I really pushed myself.

Didn't even get the tingles that most people get when taking for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

BCAA experiment:

This stuff:

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/bp-liquiflav-50ml.html

A few drops of that is good enough to neutralise the foulness of unflavoured BCAA's

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

KingK wrote: »
    Can anyone answer me this question?

I have been taking ON whey protein post workout the last while. But I'm looking to put on size and am not getting enough calories from my food. If i was to take a ON serious mass shake post workout would I be getting a good balance of protein for muscle recovery aswel as a higher calorie intake?

Add a protein of your choice to a blender with oats, frozen banana, peanut butter (not something like panda pb), milk and blend. This is much cheaper and better than buying a prodct like serious mass.

however if you want to gain size you will just have to eat more, simple as that.

• Advertisement

hada wrote: »
    Just a general heads up re beta-alanine which I've been taking for the last week or so.

It's easily one of the most effective supps I've ever taken (mind you, I only take ON whey and a Kinetica 100% Recovery).

Basic gist: Been taking 1.5g of beta-alanine 4 times a day for the last 4 days and I can honestly say I've already added a rep more to my work out, am fatiguing less in my cardio (a spin and a 10KM run), and feel close to no soreness/fatigue the next day after either strength or cardio. Whereas in the past, I'd def have felt it if I really pushed myself.

Didn't even get the tingles that most people get when taking for the first time!

What are the actual benifits of beta alaine ? Iv never researched it properly. Iv always found it to make my skin crawl and tbh I hated it !

It's in jack3d and it's the reason why I don't stack jack anymore, Iv changed to nox pump by Dorian Yates as it doesnt contain beta and tbh I feel it's a lot better pwo anyway ,way more intense but a huge crash later on, Il only take a pwo once or twice a month mainly because of the bad comedowns.

On serious mass v whey, theres bo problem getting serious mass into you straight after a workout , it contains a blend of protein, whey, casein and egg I Belive aswell as a little creatine. Iv often downed a mass shake straight after my workout, at the end of the day the quicker you can replenish your body with those calories on a bulk the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What are the actual benifits of beta alaine ? Iv never researched it properly. Iv always found it to make my skin crawl and tbh I hated it !

From Lyle McDonald
    Beta-alanine
    A fairly recent addition to the performance supplement arsenal for mixed sports is beta-alanine. Acting as a buffer of acidosis in skeletal muscle, beta-alanine can improve certain types of performance, especially in activities that rely heavily on anaerobic metabolism (e.g. maximal efforts lasting roughly 30-60 seconds). At least one study found that beta-alanine plus creatine improved weight room gains; mixed sports athletes looking to increase strength/power or muscle mass may want to consider beta-alanine.
    The biggest drawback to beta-alanine is the required dosing schedule which is 400-800 mg of powder 4 times per day (for a total dose of 1.6-3.2 grams per day). In some people, beta-alanine can cause a tingling/itching/flushing sensation. This isn’t dangerous, simply irritating. And the dose must be split in this fashion for optimal effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I'll try to find the study but one I read before showed significant gains for a group using Beta-Alanine in comparison to the control group.

Edit:
    One study in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition reported that male subjects following a 6-week HIIT program (done for 15 minutes per day at a ratio of 2:1 for exercise-to-rest, 3 days per week) while supplementing with beta-alanine gained more than 2 pounds of muscle—despite no weightlifting during the program.

That's a summary of the study. Clearly a very useful supplement considering 2 Ibs of gains with no weightlifting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1ZRed wrote: »
    Hey lads,

It's neither testosterone nor HGH. That's just marketing hype.
    I've googled the ingredients and its actually creatine and glutamine, along with two herbal ingredients. One which has been shown to reduce muscle fatigue, the other is supposed to inhibit estrogen - but studies show it doesn't work.

You'd be better off taking creatine, jacked etc and saving a few quid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Elvery's are doing a mix and match - buy 1 get a 2nd at half price on all supplements.

Elvery's are overpriced anyway so it doesn't really save a lot but the mix and match makes it an interesting offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

General question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with....

What is generally recognised as the best whey protein on the market at the moment?

When I was previously taking protein I was always told to stick with Nutrition X/Optimum Nutrition - is this still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

ON Gold Standard Whey would be regarded as the best. Personally though Whey is Whey, as long as it's good quality (Which any major brand is) it will do the same job. I'll try to find the link but a guy on Reddit sampled a load of different protein product samples to see if they're content matched what the label was claiming. Optimum Nutrition and MyProtein performed best.

Avoid brands that are ridiculously overpriced such as MaxiMuscle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

drdeadlift wrote: »

Gaspari have posted a third party COA verifying their label claims. Reflex posted on muscletalk saying the tests are worthless due to method and they implied that they had tested myofusion and it matched label claims.

When you think of it, it was easy to troll. Send half scoop of powder and half a scoop of nesquik. Company fails test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Well thats it,i only read the first few lines of the page and was like meh whatever.
    Did wes from nutrition connection have a few brands independently tested in the past,i recall someone telling me he did.

• Advertisement

went for a change this month from the gold standard , bought a tub of the new myofusion Probiotic range, not mad on it very heavy and hard to get down encase anyone is wondering what its like.

went for a change this month from the gold standard , bought a tub of the new myofusion Probiotic range, not mad on it very heavy and hard to get down encase anyone is wondering what its like.

Yeah I find myofusion the same. Tastes okay but feel bit of a dodgy tummy afterwards. I think I'm going to stick to isolate or a whey blend with isolate as main ingredient

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Buy one get one free on Nutrition X at the moment
    http://www.nutritionx.ie/nutrition-x-clearance-sale/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hey,
    Just started getting back into the gym over the summer, go about 6 days a week and do about 90 minutes of weights each session, i'm 6ft and weight about 150 pounds. Before and after each session I drink 300 ml of whey protein
    http://images.productserve.com/preview/1837/21593304.jpg

Im trying to bulk up (just get a bit stronger and have a bit more weight but nothing major) was thinking of using mass gaining proteins but the idea of having about a 700 kcal in a single shake is a bit much. http://www.nutritionxstore.ie/muscle/mass-x-elite-3kg-6-6lbs

Should I just eat more proteins during the day and avoid the mass gaining shakes?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Don't know if this was posted before.
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/05/09/2109572/bodybuildingcom-agrees-to-pay.html

Bodybuilding.com fined $7m for selling supplements with illegal substances in them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

progain extreme is what I use. taste is about 5/10 but very low carbs and very high protein.

WAS using cyclone for a while becuase I was doing MMA, but once I stopped that i REALLY didnt appreciate the high sugar content.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

progain extreme is what I use. taste is about 5/10 but very low carbs and very high protein.

WAS using cyclone for a while becuase I was doing MMA, but once I stopped that i REALLY didnt appreciate the high sugar content.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ferike1 wrote: »
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/05/09/2109572/bodybuildingcom-agrees-to-pay.html

Bodybuilding.com fined $7m for selling supplements with illegal substances in them
    Really surprised by that this happened tbh. I mean is was no secret that they were selling steroids. If I was going to buy steroids, that's the first place I'd look. But I assumed that they were operating outside US jurisdiction.

I think you should read the label again.
    Per 1 serving = 125g (2 scoops)
    Energy 508Kcal
    Protein 41.2g
    Carbohydrate (complex) 65.6g
    Of which sugars 2g
    Fibre 6.9g
    Fats 11.3g

33% protein isn't even close to very high.
    And its over 50% carbs.

It's more accurately described as very low in protein and high in carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

ferike1 wrote: »

Good link - thanks.

The one thing I find odd is how there is no mention of any action against the brands mentioned.

I know they list them as steroids but I am assuming they were marketed as pro-hormones?

I would also assume that these were PH's which pushed the boundaries of what was/is legal and the relevant authorities got fed up and decided BB.com were too public to be taking part in this hence the legal proceedings.

There is no way they were the only company selling these items online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Advertisement