Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lockhartg

g'em wrote: »
    N.B. Supplements are just like they say in the dictionary: “something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole”. Supplements should not be used to replace a wholefood, balanced diet.

The information below is to help clear up any confusion about what supplements really are. It will also provide a thread where all supplement discussions will be directed as the same questions invariably get asked and (hopefully) this thread will provide a one-stop resource to help you find the information you need. Ask questions about a particular supplement you want to use or provide feedback about something you've enjoyed or found beneficial. PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING A NEW QUESTION!!!

Whey Protein: The most common protein supplement available on the market is powdered whey protein. Whey is a type of protein that comes from milk, and it is one of the best quality proteins found in any food. It is quick to absorb and contains a full complement of amino acids. In other words, drinking a whey shake will provide you the same protein that an egg or a piece of chicken would, but it’s easier for your body to digest.

As a general rule of thumb, for anyone participating in sports or who regularly engages in strength training, your body will need extra protein to aid in recovery and regrowth and should therefore consume approximately 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. The protein should primarily come from wholefoods but protein shakes can be used to delivery protein quickly post-workout and to make up for any shortcomings in protein intake throughout the day.

Whey proteins are usually provided as concentrates (whey plasma has all the liquid removed thereby concentrating the protein content into dry powdered form) and isolates (all fats and carbohydrates are removed leaving pure protein) or as a blend of both e.g. Whey from the Supplement Factory, Big Whey from Nutrition X, ON Whey, Pro Matrix from Nutrition X, Unflavoured Whey from BulkPowders.co.uk

Casein Protein: Another type of protein found in milk. Casein is a much slower protein to absorb and so is useful to use either on its own as a pre-bed snack or blended with whey as a meal replacement e.g. ON casein, Casein from the Supplement Factory.

Creatine: a substance that is found naturally in the human body, and aids in supplying energy to cells. When taken in supplement form can increase the creatine content of muscle, allowing for greater protein synthesis in the cells, reduces muscle acidity (lactic acid build-up) and allows for a greater volume of exercise with less recovery time needed.

There are two types of creatine on the market: creatine monohydrate and creatine ethyl ester. The vast majority of the last ten years’ worth of creatine studies have been done with creatine monohydrate and as a newcomer to the supplement scene CEE is yet to be fully tested in action.

e.g. creatine from BulkPowders.co.uk, Cell X or Creatine from Nutrition X, Cell or Creatine from the Supplement Factory.

Post-Workout Supplements: These will generally come in the form of carb-only or carb + protein. Following intense exercise the body’s stored energy (glycogen) will be diminished and consuming a PWO shake or drink will allow the body to replenish glycogen stores quickly and aid recovery. The presence of protein in the PWO supplement will also aid muscle repair and aid protein synthesis e.g. RAM from Nutrition X, Cell Mass from BSN, Recovery from the Supplement Factory.

Courtesy of meijin here's a price comparison of few proteins (mostly unflavoured, except ON), here is a table with price per kg of pure protein and multiplier

brand|name|kg per box|% of protein|price (EUR)|price/kg of prot.|price comp
    bulkpowders|0.82|5|82%|45.14|11.01|1|
    myprotein|Impact Whey Protein|5|78%|53.29|13.59|1.23|
    bulkpowders|0.9|5|90%|67.79|15.06|1.37|
    bulkpowders|0.97|5|97%|90.39|18.64|1.69|
    myprotein|Impact Whey Isolate|4|89%|74.99|21.06|1.91|
    ON|Gold Standard|4.54|82%|110|29.68|2.7|
    bulkpowders|Hemp|5|47%|73.44|31.25|2.84|
    myprotein|Hydrolysed|2.5|80%|63.29|31.65|2.87|
    myprotein|Hemp|2.5|47%|54.89|47.05|4.27|
    ON|Platinum Hydrowhey|1.588|77%|79.95|65.45|5.94|

Any views on this Kinetica Oatgain I heard it taste's great the raspberry flavour tastes like petit filous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

apologies lol its PROMAX extreme and NOT progain extreme.

Subtle but very important difference!!!

Promax extreme is 100g

protein 85g
    carbs 5.5g
    fat 4.5g

its also got a little creatine and glutamine in there .

Its one of the highest protein v carb powders Ive found.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

Anyone ever hear of SMS why protein? cant find anything online about it.. being sold on gumtree and donedeal etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Promax extreme is 100g

protein 85g
    carbs 5.5g
    fat 4.5g

If I was to use Kinetica Oat Gain along with Promax would I just be wasting my time? I'm struggling with putting on weight at the moment so if I was to use both, would I get best of both worlds?
    http://www.discountsupplements.ie/kinetica-oat-gain-4-8kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Promax extreme is 100g

protein 85g
    carbs 5.5g
    fat 4.5g

Maximuscle products are extremely overpriced. You can get Protein from reputable brands for significantly cheaper. ON 100% Whey is only about 10-15 quid extra generally for a tub 2.5 times the size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Yeah I find myofusion the same. Tastes okay but feel bit of a dodgy tummy afterwards. I think I'm going to stick to isolate or a whey blend with isolate as main ingredient

i had it before and i was grand maybe its just this probiotic range. Im really struggling to finish the tub, might just give it away and go in and buy a fresh tub of gold standard whey.

ive tried other brands, just like the taste of maximuscle that little bit more.

For those having trouble with the taste of shakes, add a bit of YAZOO strawberry milk to the shake. Makes it delicious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gym Halpert

Was thinking of trying out N.O Xplode to help me with a few plateaus I've reached with my lifting. But I was wondering, should I stop taking Creatine Mono when I use it, also is it actually available here anymore? I know Universal Nutrition sells it but will they ship to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Most over hyped preworkout product ever! Ive had a few and a good ones grand for when youre wrecked after work and only to be sparingly used but if your progress has stalled its definitely time to change up your programme (change lifts,reps, weights) and possibley eat slightly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AMT

Was thinking of trying out N.O Xplode to help me with a few plateaus I've reached with my lifting. But I was wondering, should I stop taking Creatine Mono when I use it, also is it actually available here anymore? I know Universal Nutrition sells it but will they ship to Ireland?

BSN not UN make it which a recent acquisition of Glambia... Strange an Irish company buying a company who's flagship product is illegal in Ireland

Long story short they reformulated with less Vitamin B to appease the draconian and outdated opinions of the Irish medicine board and it's back on the market...

And no... You should keep up your creatine intake its just an energy drink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

AMT wrote: »

BSN not UN make it which a recent acquisition of Glambia... Strange an Irish company buying a company who's flagship product is illegal in Ireland

Long story short they reformulated with less Vitamin B to appease the draconian and outdated opinions of the Irish medicine board and it's back on the market...

And no... You should keep up your creatine intake its just an energy drink

I don't think they cared about the Irish market when buying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Most over hyped preworkout product ever! Ive had a few and a good ones grand for when youre wrecked after work and only to be sparingly used but if your progress has stalled its definitely time to change up your programme (change lifts,reps, weights) and possibley eat slightly more.

All very true and very valid points - esp. the "most over-hyped preworkout product" part. Don't bother with it GH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Asked a question in another thread but just came across this and realised it would be a much better place to ask.

I asked about Protein Bars and gave all my details here and am wondering this:
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    How would taking a suppliment like powdered Whey Protein effect me?

I mean, considering i'm still trying to lose weight, would it hamper this? I would of course be watching the calories in the Whey Protein and factoring them in.

Would it be a suitable suppliment to increase my protein intake whislt simultaniously trying to lose weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Buy 1 Get 1 half price on myprotein whey isolate is back on - code: ISOWHEY

Handy for anyone who still uses mp isolate.

Thanks for the replies guys, what about Jack3D? Gets good reviews around the net but what do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AMT

If you're looking for a recommendation I'd give it to C4 before I'd give it to Jack3d or NOxplode

http://cellucor.com/product/c4-extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

N.O Xplode and Jack3d are rubbish.

I recommend DS Craze, Controlled Labs White Flood is also Highly rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Any good deals on Optimum Nutrition protein in Dublin ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just ordered Impact Whey Protein from MyProtein.co.uk

The description says scoop not included, and they were Out of Stock on their large scoops.

Does anyone know if the Impact stuff comes even with a little spoon or anything in the pouch?

And if not, am I right in thinking 25g of Whey would be approx 2 Table Spoons?

(Also, wondering where I could buy a scoop? Would I be able to go into any nutrition store and be able to buy a scoop?)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It doesn't need to be exact. But the scoop gives its volume on the site. It's 55ml, you cab get measuring spoons for cooking, i'm sure your can get one 25ml or 50ml easily

• Advertisement

Jack3d is no good? Surprising considering the amount of praise and good reviews it has. C4 seems pretty good, with it having creatine "nitrate", should I continue to supplement creatine monohydrate while taking it? Also directions on the UN site don't state if it has a set amount of time on then off or only to take it for a certain period of time. Also is there any crashes or other downsides to it?

As for DS Craze, it recommends to be only taken for 12 weeks, then what? Also with it having creatine mono in it I assume I wouldn't need to keep taking creatine mono with it?

I couldn't find whiteflood on UN. I use my loyalties and discounts so I do all my shopping there.

cooking shops will have them.

Jack3d is no good? Surprising considering the amount of praise and good reviews it has. C4 seems pretty good, with it having creatine "nitrate", should I continue to supplement creatine monohydrate while taking it? Also directions on the UN site don't state if it has a set amount of time on then off or only to take it for a certain period of time. Also is there any crashes or other downsides to it?

As for DS Craze, it recommends to be only taken for 12 weeks, then what? Also with it having creatine mono in it I assume I wouldn't need to keep taking creatine mono with it?

I couldn't find whiteflood on UN. I use my loyalties and discounts so I do all my shopping there.

Jack3d WAS one of the best, it is now old with other new products like Craze over taking it. It is also VERY stimmed with many of its users reporting crashes and jitters etc.

Also Craze is recommend to only be taken for 12 weeks because its stimmed and just like every stimmed pre workout you should take a break from it, my stim break usually lasts 2 weeks but its up to you how long of a break you have.

Oh also jack3d also contains 1,3-Dimethylamylamine which is being banned in lots of countries including USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

And on terms of the creatine, keep taking it separately as well or only take what's in the pwo?
    Would 4 weeks on 2 weeks off be any use for craze? Any info you can give having used it yourself would be appreciated it.
    Some PWO's say take on empty stomach, I work out int he mornings so have a breakfast beforehand, is that ok with this?

And on terms of the creatine, keep taking it separately as well or only take what's in the pwo?
    Would 4 weeks on 2 weeks off be any use for craze? Any info you can give having used it yourself would be appreciated it.

There usually isn't very much creatine in pwos. In craze i believe there is 1g, so take it separately aswel to get a total of 3-5g daily.

4 weeks on, 2 weeks off is fine. However i take a 2 week break when i feel the effects are wearing off. Your body gets used to the stims and after awhile doesn't work aswel, when this happens take the stim break. (no tea, coffee etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I`ve tried most PWO`s and in lifting weights ten years, I tried NO Xplode old formula new formula, Jack3d, Mesomorph, etc, the lot.

I`m half way through a tub of MusclePharm Assault and have stopped taking it as the crash is too much to handle. I`ve gone back to "Crack" by Revolutions. I know the name sounds hilarious and most of these PWO`s tend to have names like Mutant Horse Piss or Rhino Blood but there is nothing like it out there. If I were to name a close second Jack3d would be it. For anyone who loves Jack3d, you`ll love Crack, it`s got pretty similar ingredients except about twice as potent.
    Be warned though it does contain 1,3 dimethylamylamine.

PS, it can be bought from the VitaminShop for around 50 euro, but I get mine online from www.perfectbody.ie for 39 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

PS, it can be bought from the VitaminShop for around 50 euro, but I get mine online from www.perfectbody.ie for 39 euro.

thanks for the link, looks like a good site, they have a great choice!

Liam90 wrote: »
    There usually isn't very much creatine in pwos. In craze i believe there is 1g, so take it separately aswel to get a total of 3-5g daily.

4 weeks on, 2 weeks off is fine. However i take a 2 week break when i feel the effects are wearing off. Your body gets used to the stims and after awhile doesn't work aswel, when this happens take the stim break. (no tea, coffee etc.)

I drink about 4 cups of tea a day but it's all decaf.
    And how about taking it around meals? Some other PWO's say not to take shortly before or after eating. Is that ok for this? I train in the mornings after breakfast.

I drink about 4 cups of tea a day but it's all decaf.
    And how about taking it around meals? Some other PWO's say not to take shortly before or after eating. Is that ok for this? I train in the mornings after breakfast.

Try to take it on an empty stomach, the more empty your stomach the greater you will feel the effects, just like every pwo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

N.O Xplode and Jack3d are rubbish.

I recommend DS Craze, Controlled Labs White Flood is also Highly rated.

thats B.S man, anyone who thinks jack3d is no good is purely lying. if your caffeine tolerance is low it should work great for anyone, cycle of caffeine for 2 to 4 weeks and go back and take jack3d, it will hit you like a train.

the difference between most of these stim pwo's are mainly placebo at its very best bar a few ingredients like DMAA etc but for the best part there all loaded with caffeine and without caffeine these stim based pwo's wouldn't even be worth talking about as caffeine is the stim that sends you into over drive and gives you that high feeling.

my own personal opinion once a week is plenty to be taking pwo's, I wouldn't get into the habit of relying on these. Once a months enough for me, when i do take one, i go for dorian yates nox pump. But remember the human body survived and trained long and hard before these relatively new supps hit the market.

Advertisement