Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

But doesnt the protein from MP have soy in it too?
    http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/impact-whey-protein

Just read an interesting article from the reflex website about why they dont use soy in there protein, could it be scare mongering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Protein Matrix Blend: (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Soy Protein Isolate and Casein 90.23%), Cocoa Powder 6.00%, Chocolate Flavour 3.30%, Sucralose 0.47%. Suitable for vegetarians

Thats the ingredients list off that stuff, was all on for it until it struck me that it doesnt state exactly how much soy is in the 'matrix blend', could be 5% could be 90%.
    Im really going to have to put more time and effort into eating meat, sigh.

I could be wrong but with ingredients on the back of packets it has to go in order of percentage that makes up the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Just read an interesting article from the reflex website about why they dont use soy in there protein, could it be scare mongering?

Not as a protein source. It contains soy lectin as an emulsifier (aids mixibility).

That is a pure WPC product. Not a blend.

I could be wrong but with ingredients on the back of packets it has to go in order of percentage that makes up the product?

"Protein blend" is listed as the largest ingredient. I am unsure if the sub ingredients have to be listed in order also. And if they are in this case then WPI followed by WPC are the highest components making it impossible for the seller to be even coming close to breaking even on the cost of producing the product. Yet alone making a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

That's not soy protein, it's soy lecithin, it's to help the mixability of the powder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭limerickhurl

Hey everyone,

Lot of info to sift through here, so thought I'd be cheeky and ask: what supplement would you recommend?

I'm looking to tone up and build muscle, wouldn't be fat but am gone quite soft recently. Beginning to eat well and go to gym roughly 5 times a week.

I've heard off a mate Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Builder might be the one for me, any thoughts?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I'm looking to tone up and build muscle, wouldn't be fat but am gone quite soft recently. Beginning to eat well and go to gym roughly 5 times a week.

Thanks.

a multivitamin
    a fish oil
    possibly an amino blend
    possibly some whey

I'd start with the first 2 and see how your getting on in 8 - 12 weeks

and thats that....keep eating well...job done!!

Hey everyone,
    Beginning to eat well

Be more specific.....?

Forget everything else at the moment especially the product you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

Hey guys I have just joined a gym with the intention of bulking up.
    I am 24 years old, 6 foot 2 and only 11 stone so am on the skinny side.
    Can ye suggest any protein supplements or any particular brands that ye would recommend?
    What about supplements you take pre workout?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭hupskip

Can ye suggest any protein supplements or any particular brands that ye would recommend?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

hupskip wrote: »
    Thanks

Focus on eating right to put on weight first of all! have a look in here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055963342

Make sure your getting in enough calories from good food sources of protein, carbs and good fats and then if your still coming out short look into getting a whey protein(ON Gold Standard is a good all round Whey to start off with). Leave the pre workout supps until you have the basics under wraps first!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

grimloch wrote: »
    Is it white lumps? I'd guess its the arginine, that stuff almost always goes a bit lumpy on me. I'd say its grand.
    Same colour as poweder (reddish), I'm going to plow on using it. Might re-think if I'm making another order.

On a side note, found out true a group work scheme I can get 20% off Kinetica. Just need to see if that works out cheaper than myprotein now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Na

I just ordered BioNutritional - Proto Whey. Has anyone ever tried? Quite pricey but what appealed is that it suits people with a sensitive gut.

Weight training 4/5 times a week with minimal cardio as trying to bulk up. Want to increase my protein intake as not seeing the gains as I was expecting on the below diet. Trying to avoid any dairy, gluten, yeast & flour products as much as I can as skin doesn't react well.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, slice of soda bread with peanut butter & banana

Snack: 2 slices of soda bread with peanut butter, banana & handful of almonds

Lunch: Whatever is being served in work canteen, usually Ck, turkey, beef with potatoes and root veg.

Snack: 2 slices of soda bread with peanut butter

Dinner: Ck, turkey or steak with rice or potatoes with broccoli/tomatoes/courgettes

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Na

I just ordered BioNutritional - Proto Whey. Has anyone ever tried? Quite pricey but what appealed is that it suits people with a sensitive gut.

Weight training 4/5 times a week with minimal cardio as trying to bulk up. Want to increase my protein intake as not seeing the gains as I was expecting on the below diet. Trying to avoid any dairy, gluten, yeast & flour products as much as I can as skin doesn't react well.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, slice of soda bread with peanut butter & banana

Snack: 2 slices of soda bread with peanut butter, banana & handful of almonds

Lunch: Whatever is being served in work canteen, usually Ck, turkey, beef with potatoes and root veg.

Snack: 2 slices of soda bread with peanut butter

Dinner: Ck, turkey or steak with rice or potatoes with broccoli/tomatoes/courgettes

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Does anyone know why tribulus is banned here?

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Does anyone know why tribulus is banned here?

There no valid reason for it to be banned but it is.

Save your money either way mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

when did that get banned? 2 lads I know were mad about it, bought a good few tubs of it (not sure where, maybe online?). But I checked it up online and apparently it does sfa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Thanks

Heres a cheap decent weight gainer, no point taking it if your diet is poo tho. I took jack3d before it was banned and loved it tenderly, havent tried any pwo since... cant believe its gone forever :'(

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/xl-nutrition-xtra-protein-carbs-5kg-tub

john_cappa wrote: »
    There no valid reason for it to be banned but it is.

Save your money either way mate.

To be honest I know there's no proof it actually raises test levels, the libido increase was just great craic though.

Oisín

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Hey there, I'm looking for a promo code for discountsupplements.ie - If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Hey all,

Just looking for some feed back, on a particular supplement and do any of ye take it?

N-Acetyl Cysteine

Heard its good for lung health especially after any respiratory infections, but I've read many mixed things.

My mate who plays rugby and cycles told me about it and suggested I'd try it(as I've had two respiratory infections this winter already).

Just wonder if ye know or use this this supplement?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

vard wrote: »
    Hey there, I'm looking for a promo code for discountsupplements.ie - If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it!

PM sent ;)

Choosing free oils...

Which ones are the best,

Regular fish oils or cod liver oil? I've been told fish oils are good for joints as well as cardiovascular system, I cycle and I'm just looking to figure out my supplements...

Cheers

Choosing free oils...

Which ones are the best,

Regular fish oils or cod liver oil? I've been told fish oils are good for joints as well as cardiovascular system, I cycle and I'm just looking to figure out my supplements...

Cheers

Fish oils are savage. Helps reduce risk of heart disease, helps with your joints, aids in fat loss, increases the free testosterone in your body too.

Look for a brand with good levels of DHA/EPA levels, that's important when choosing. Stay away from the likes of the supermarket own brand stuff or holland and barrett stuff as the levels are quite low. For example the H&B Omega 3 Fish Oils are <30% DHA/EPA, whereas the fishoils from Olimp are roughly 55%.

Obviously price is a factor but decide yourself

Oisín

Fish oils are savage. Helps reduce risk of heart disease, helps with your joints, aids in fat loss, increases the free testosterone in your body too.

Look for a brand with good levels of DHA/EPA levels, that's important when choosing. Stay away from the likes of the supermarket own brand stuff or holland and barrett stuff as the levels are quite low. For example the H&B Omega 3 Fish Oils are <30% DHA/EPA, whereas the fishoils from Olimp are roughly 55%.

Obviously price is a factor but decide yourself

Oisín

What about these ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i take animal omega - 30e a month.

http://www.discountsupplements.ie/universal-nutrition/universal-animal-omega-30-packs?page=1

I was spending 25e on H&B stuff so thought this was better.

What about these ones

Yeah they're very high in the fats you want, the only problem there is the price seems excessive. £25 for 120 caps wouldnt be great value for money. The olimp ones I linked are €9 for 60, so €18 euro for the equivalent.

Just choose the ones that suit you best, try find a good balance between value and quality. I personally just vary between MyProtein and Olimp.

Oisín

Yeah they're very high in the fats you want, the only problem there is the price seems excessive. £25 for 120 caps wouldnt be great value for money. The olimp ones I linked are €9 for 60, so €18 euro for the equivalent.

Just choose the ones that suit you best, try find a good balance between value and quality. I personally just vary between MyProtein and Olimp.

Oisín

Is there anyway to known which of the products are cleaner, as in sourcing and filtration etc...

Is there anyway to known which of the products are cleaner, as in sourcing and filtration etc...

I have no idea to be honest, I'd assume since they're all pure omega 3 caps that there wouldn't be any harmful materials in them? This is assuming that if it is contaminated with anything they'd have to list it in the ingredients list, but to be honest I haven't a breeze.

Oisín

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 DAINGNE

Thanks
    xgtdec wrote: »
    a multivitamin
    a fish oil
    possibly an amino blend
    possibly some whey

I'd start with the first 2 and see how your getting on in 8 - 12 weeks

and thats that....keep eating well...job done!!

hupskip direct your attention toward the calories you should be eating on a daily basis and amount of macronutrients within your diet. To figure that out;
    DAINGNE wrote:
    To work out the total amount of calories you should be eating calculate your TDEE (http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator) and then add 20% onto it. Now break this number down into what macro nutrient quantities you should be eating. I recommend eating:

1g protein per lb of body weight (4 calories in 1 gram of protein)
    .45g fat per lb of body weight (9 calories in 1 gram of fat)
    & the rest from carbs (4 calories in 1 gram of carbs)

^^^^work this out^^^^^ and then log what your eating for a week or two before looking at the areas of your diet where you might be struggling. There's no point buying protein supplements or fish oils when you might be meeting your needs through your diet.
    Don't get sucked into the supplement spenders club.
    The only supplement on the market that has had numerous independent studies prove, time and time again, that it improves hyptropher is creatine monohydrate. So, if you can stick to the gym for 4-6 weeks why not invest in that product?
    Hey everyone,

Lot of info to sift through here, so thought I'd be cheeky and ask: what supplement would you recommend?

I've heard off a mate Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Builder might be the one for me, any thoughts?

Thanks.

Read my above post. Focus on your diet and how many calories you're taking in before you jump into supplements. There's so much misinformation within the fitness industry don't get sucked into it.

Advertisement